It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First ‘test-tube’ hamburger to be produced this year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Sounds delicious !!

Hold the lettuce and tomatoes !!

The world’s first “test-tube” meat, a hamburger made from a cow’s stem cells, will be produced this fall, Dutch scientist Mark Post told a major science conference on Sunday.

Post’s aim is to invent an efficient way to produce skeletal muscle tissue in a laboratory that exactly mimics meat, and eventually replace the entire meat-animal industry.

The ingredients for his first burger are “still in a laboratory phase,” he said, but by fall “we have committed ourselves to make a couple of thousand of small tissues, and then assemble them into a hamburger.”

YUK !!

The article has some tantalizing details !!

Would you like fries with your burger ?

Thanks but No Thanks !!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Now there is an interesting beneficial science....if the right people get it.It could feed a lot of people, astronauts in space.Not so good for the food system though.Ranchers would loose their lively hood.And I'll bet it is in some way poisonous later on if implemented too soon.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I'm sure a biogenetics lab is cleaner than a slaughter house but I still want my dead cow.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

That's freaking disgusting!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
i wonder if this new tech will mean we can feed the tens of millions starving to death in this world? prob not, but more likely line the pockets of our faceless money grabbing mega-corps whilst simultaniously growing our arses to even more epic proportions

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Yay! Another reason not to eat hamburgers. But just they dare to make artificial steaks and i will... I will,i will ,errr, become vegeterian?
How long it is to artificial tomato though.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
With appropriate testing I could be convinced.

Most US beef products aren't exactly as nature intended anyway, with all the steroids and antibiotics the beasts are stuffed with in the pursuit of yield.

I like my steaks/burgers and i'm not a veggie but if I had the choice of having my steak without an animal being killed in the process i'd probably take it.

Lets face it, as it currently stands if aliens turned up and started eating us only vegans would have the right to argue a moral objection :-)

Ironically, cows sheep and pigs might end up in zoos eventually. If we aren't eating them we won't breed them.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Nice! This technology could not only make meat production cheaper and more efficient, but also save millions of animals from abuse and death.

I wonder what the meat texture is?

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This sounds distgusting and I will most definatley not be eating any. The once cool Heston Blumenthal has now officialy gone way down in my estimations.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This gives another view of burgers !!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
this is what it looks like

can't wait to get my hands on this!

HMMMM.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 20-2-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... test tube-elicious.......

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The people that are against GMO crops
are really going to love this one..

You guys keep the fake meat..

I will still be eating cows in 30 years.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
The people that are against GMO crops
are really going to love this one..

You guys keep the fake meat..

I will still be eating cows in 30 years.

they will just barely be cows though due to all the horomones and crap in their food supply, unless you're raising and slaughtering them yourself.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
i read they are using stem cells to do this.

shouldn't they be using stem cells to advance medicine rather than making burgers??

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
So I could quite literally grow a steak in my house the same way one grows window tomatoes?

1. The look of it: people eat snails and oysters and they are not appealing
2. The taste: since the life a critter leads in part leads to the flavor of it, it would most likely taste/feel like oatmeal
3. Health aspect: cows, chickens, pigs, etc already are loaded with chemicals, why should this be different?
4. Saving the rain forest: I imagine the market for "Real Beef" (I just trademarked that) will still exist
5. Eliminating/reducing feed lots: If it works, this is a good thing
6. Weird factor: Definitely there, kinda soilent greenish

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Thinking about it turns my stomach. I don't see how something like this could ever catch on in a big way. It's interesting in that they're able to grow muscle tissue from stem cells, seems like there could be positive medical implications there. But I couldn't possibly imagine myself ever chowing down on a synthetic meat burger.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
Thinking about it turns my stomach. I don't see how something like this could ever catch on in a big way. It's interesting in that they're able to grow muscle tissue from stem cells, seems like there could be positive medical implications there. But I couldn't possibly imagine myself ever chowing down on a synthetic meat burger.

It may not become popular by its' own merits,

but what if they suppress the advertising and we don't know if the food is this way ?

Yuk.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I'd give it a try

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
McDonalds already have been test marketing names for the new meat product. Word is they have settled on "Soylent Moo"

edit on 21-2-2012 by SkyMuerte because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join