It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS being left behind?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
i have messaged SO with no responce and now would just like to ask for mod imput

I can't find anything from you on the subject of Ustream.

However, I've looked into the possibilities not long ago. Integrating their API/tools with ATS to enable live streaming of member video, within ATS topics would result in a violation of our privacy policies.

That being said, we have used it in the past (our 2007 party in NYC), and will continue to consider it for future events that require live video.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I can't find anything from you on the subject of Ustream.

i had a look and resent the original message from last week
it was still in outbox

However, I've looked into the possibilities not long ago. Integrating their API/tools with ATS to enable live streaming of member video, within ATS topics would result in a violation of our privacy policies.

the official answer is no, ok

That being said, we have used it in the past (our 2007 party in NYC), and will continue to consider it for future events that require live video.

cool that begs the question when is the next event?
and i had no idea streams were around in 07

have you thought about a phone app to quickly upload footage?
and thanks for answering my questions

xploder
edit on 20-2-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
While I completely agree with the OP that the capacity to post live content would be something awesome, and remove the annoying composition time between the alert going out, and the event about which the article or post is being made.

However, because ATS has never supported the idea of ABSOLUTE freedom of speech, this idea just simply cannot work. In order to make such a thing work, there would need to be about a hundred mods, for every thousand of us, and even then they would likely be highly overworked. The reason for this, is that as anyone who has ever heard a swear word on day time live news will know, or anyone who has ever been watching a cricket match and had a streaker just plough across the pitch will everything hanging out will also know, there are no parental controls on live televisual media. There just arent.

Lets say you and I live in the same town, and we are both streaming a live bit of news, a stand off outside a bank, where a robber has taken the bank clerk hostage. When we are both streaming our news to ATS, some little kid could be watching our stream, caught up in the drama. Then BOOM robbers head is nothing more than a rapidly expanding cloud of brain matter, skull fragments, snot globules,blood and strings of spare mucus. The skull fragments embed themselves in the head of the hostage, but do not kill them, meanwhile the body of the now headless robber, spewing copious amounts of vitae, collapses to the floor, twitching spasmodically. Yep, the firearms officers have blown off his head with a rifle round from all the way down the other end of the High Street.

All of a sudden, the little kid has just seen a mans head implode from the presure wave shock of a fifty cal round passing through the space it used to occupy, painting everything from the hostage to the front door of the bank in all sorts of lurid things the colour of innards and death. Never mind the fact that this fellow is a scumbag, he has just been destroyed in the most vengeful fashion that modern ballistic technology can possibly allow for. That would be a terrifying thing to witness as a kid, and I can understand ATS not wanting to be a place that could theoretically happen in. At least when a video has already been shot, the person uploading it can place a warning tag on it, saying:

"Warning: It is recommended that children, and those of a nervous persuasion ought not watch this video, as its contents may alarm, sicken, or disturb. Contains extremely graphic, real life violence, and death."

Using this disclaimer, one can say "Oh thats ok though, because I warned people. Its thier choice wether they want to watch it or not." I think that will be the clincher. Because anything can happen, at any time, live broadcasts can produce circumstances which cannot be vetted or indeed judged until they are finished, and while that would be a great thing to have, it cannot happen on a site which tries where it can, to avoid the unpredictability of real life by banning swearing, images of copulation, and the discussion of various topics surrounding illegal substances and thier uses.

However, there is no need to suggest that ATS will be left behind. This still is, and probably always will be the best, the only place, to find some of the most comprehensive information on alternative topics anywhere on the internet, and its membership , dont forget, is growing, not shrinking. This last year or so has been one of the websites most active in terms of its growth, and the lack of a live streaming service appears to have done it no harm whatsoever.
Put another way, the entire membership of the site cannot be wrong... well , not all at once right?

TB

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
and i had no idea streams were around in 07

Streaming has been around since the 90's man...at least.

Streaming is just live video feed.... Streaming is not a new concept at all.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We have used it in the past (our 2007 party in NYC), and will continue to consider it for future events that require live video.

Anyone have a link to that party stream? I found the press release, but no video yet. Sorry I missed that and it would be fun to travel through time and virtually attend. Any chance for a 15th annual this year? I have a smokin' dress just waiting for the right party to happen. Black of course. Ha.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
On the other forums i have been on that live feature is dumb. It will often have the same message posting over and over when it gets stuck.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts
On the other forums i have been on that live feature is dumb. It will often have the same message posting over and over when it gets stuck.

The reason why you have random messages is because they are free accounts. Paid accounts have no such feeds unless the owner of the org allows such ads to be placed otherwise, paid accounts have zero random ads.

edit: repeat and repeat..soz about that.
edit on 21-2-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

for ATS to be " left behind " a rival website must be offerng this ` upstream ` - who is it ?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

after reading the real time top threads thread, i can see there is stuff going on to improve the sight,
in light of this i want to retreact my statement that we are being left behind,

keep up the inovation

xploder

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Wherever ATS may be, there's never anything wrong with making suggestions, and they are always appreciated.

At least, those are my thoughts.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

If I had a 'sight' and I had to read a post like yours I would ignore it to. Just sayin.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join