It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Press TV signals jammed in Europe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by geobro
its vanished of sky sat channel 715? in the uk

due to an Ofcom ruling, I actually removed it on behalf of my company. We had no choice.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

But I thought you said that western governments didnt censor..

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I can safely tell you that I have never seen a developed, democratic nation jam a TV signal.

I think South Korea jams North Korean propaganda, doesnt it?

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

blogs.rnw.nl...

They lost their license in the UK they weren't censored...
sometimes i wonder....

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

They didn't pay an Ofcom fine due to them being cought out forcing a reporter to report falsely. If they had have paid their fine they would still be on the air.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

These are the first step to a major war, once again it is about to start. I have been seeing their comments on their site that the UK is also blocking emails from getting to presstv.

No, they're not. The US and Soviet Union played that game for years. Why should you be surprized that the UK would do to Iran what Iran does to them:

Five major international broadcasters — Voice of America, British Broadcasting Corp., Deutsche Welle, Audiovisuel Extérieur de la France and Radio Netherlands Worldwide — recently called on Iran to stop jamming radio and TV signals targeted at that country.

“It has been going on intermittently for at least two years,” says Jan Hoek, RNW’s director general.

“Stations affected have been VOA’s Persian network, RFE/RL’s Radio Farda and Radio Sawa, the BBC’s Persian TV channel and Deutsche Welle. On occasions, other stations such as RNW’s Dutch TV channel and Radio Sawa (a U.S. Arabic-language station) that use subcarriers on the same satellite transponder have been affected, even though they have no broadcasts aimed at Iran.”.

www.rwonline.com...
edit on 20-2-2012 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
From the Guardian:

Ofcom found that Press TV's practice of running its editorial oversight from Tehran, Iran's capital, is in breach of broadcasting licence rules in the UK.

"Ofcom has decided to revoke the licence held by Press TV Limited with immediate effect," the media regulator said in a statement.

Ofcom wrote a letter to Press TV in November highlighting the issue and offered a choice of two remedies.

The first was to switch editorial control for Press TV's programming to the UK, the second to transfer the broadcasting licence to Iran.

"Broadcasting rules require that a licence is held by the person who is in general control of the TV service: that is, the person that chooses the programmes to be shown in the service and organises the programme schedule," Ofcom said.

So no jamming at all, just failure to play the game by the rules as published.

Failure to pay the fine seems to be unrelated to actually going off air:

The broadcaster was fined £100,000 last year after the channel aired an interview with Maziar Bahari, an imprisoned Newsweek journalist, that had been conducted under duress.

It emerged on Friday that Press TV has failed to meet the deadline for paying the fine, which was due in early January.

Ofcom said Press TV had been "unwilling and unable" to pay the fine and that it was "pursuing this".

And in fact the Foreign Office intervened to stop Ofcom removing their licence for this
edit on 20-2-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo

I can safely tell you that I have never seen a developed, democratic nation jam a TV signal.

I think South Korea jams North Korean propaganda, doesnt it?

Don't know to be honest, I am talking about western hemisphere, not got too much knowledge of the east.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Maybe the war is starting soon.

The govt wont want reports of what they are doing from there coming from iranian sources.

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 20-2-2012 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeopleParty

The UK will not be involved in this one. We are already too stretched.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

How convenient that they just lost their license. Remember police do the same thing, they wait and dig up old unpaid parking tickets and use it as an excuse to arrest you in connection with something else.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by ThePeopleParty

The UK will not be involved in this one. We are already too stretched.

Its just my opinion but i think we all ready are involved. we'v been fighting wars/de-stabilising the region around Iran to give good tactical positioning for a war with them. and when it does start I honestly do think we will be involved directly. Just my opinion though.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

reply to post by vkey08

How convenient that they just lost their license. Remember police do the same thing, they wait and dig up old unpaid parking tickets and use it as an excuse to arrest you in connection with something else.

Except this isn't an "old unpaid" anything - this is recent and just a little more important than you not paying your fines and then whinging when the logical consequences get visited on you!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

reply to post by vkey08

A little different, PressTv refused to comply with a request, they had 35 days to do so.. They also refused to pay a fine that was levied upon them, also with time to do so.

If you or I did that, we would have to face the consequences of our actions, and take responsibility for them, we may not like it, but we'd have to. PressTV knew there would be consequences to their actions (or lack thereof) and is now sounding like the little whiner moaning and crying "foul foul everything is a conspiracy against us see what the bully did" when in fact it's really no ones fault but their own..... They need to own up to their part in it.

Now, did I say the Western press is innocent in that statement no I didn't so please don't use arguments like "well NBC did X or Sky did" they weren't the ones facing a suspension of their operating permits, PressTV was.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Press TV being jammed, as reported by Press TV.

Every third post is Press TV bleating on. Assume that the more coverage they manage to manufacture, the better.

Regards

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

As far as I can tell it seems that they were in clear breach of the rules, and if that's the case then it is their own fault that they lost their broadcasting licence. That's not censorship, it's just petty bureaucracy. That being said, obviously quite a few broadcasters had it in for the Iranian state owned network but to call it censorship is an overstatement. It is still accessible via the internet for now.

Hopefully our governments tone down the anti-Iran rhetoric though because it's clearly not doing us any good.
edit on 20-2-2012 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2012 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

The source appears to be PressTV which gives no other source. Everyone else is parroting PressTV.

This could be more propaganda compliments of the Iranian propaganda machine? Who knows?

At least in a search I can't find anything that does not link back to PressTV who does not even bother to imply a source.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Censoring what people can watch? Classy move, history.. do we learn from it?

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden
Censoring what people can watch? Classy move, history.. do we learn from it?

Yeah - we learn that people on ATS often don't bother reading what has actually happened even when it IS clearly laid out in a thread!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Yeah - we learn that people on ATS often don't bother reading what has actually happened even when it IS clearly laid out in a thread!

I've read the thread, please enlighten me to the actual situation in your opinion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join