It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immortality choice, is it heaven/hell? What would you do?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I'm currently reading a book, The Eden Prophesy by Graham Brown, published by bantam Books (2012).

In it, terrorists have created a virus that, in essence, provides immortality. They want to destroy "God" by destroying "Eden" or the concept of the afterlife. The protagonists in the story had a discussion.

I'll quote from the book

"seven billion now," she said. "Fifteem million in twenty years. Thirty billion on this rock by the middle of this century. There will be nothing but war and misery and starvation. It will no longer be a matter if there's a heaven, because earth will become hell itself and the immortal humans will be consigned to it for all eternity."

With the gene sequencing we have now, the study of telomeres (subject of the novel) how far away from fiction are we?
How soon will immortals live amoung us? Are they already?

I know that this topic comes up from time to time, but with the subject of the book, and the idea that immortality is a punishment, I thought that it deserved a new visit and a new spin for discussion.

As an aside, I highly recommend the book. It's been a fun read.

beez
edit on 20-2-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I would not become immortal unless there was some way to make myself pass on eventually. Somehow, because living forever would be very depressing,

you could never love, because your loved ones would disappear and die with age as you remain the same.

If those two things weren't an issues (immortal wife too?), then immortality wouldn't be too boring, there is enough knowledge on this planet that it would take several lifetimes to learn it all, Which in my mind would be the best thing about immortality, being able to learn forever.

Of course, I believe in reincarnation, so technically we're immortal, the soul lives forever, its the body that does not.
edit on 20/2/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

edit on 20-2-2012 by binkbonk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
If all my friends and family lived for ever, it would be cool - but if it was just me, maybe not so cool.

Immortality would be good if the civilizations population was around 100million with no chance of creating life. Live for ever with friends and family exploring the universe..cool as fk

On the talk of immortality, i think Keanu Reeves is immortal, never seems to get old

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Exist forever in a crummy word, or eventually die and go somewhere cleaner and safer?

come on, really? You gotta know what you'd choose...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
It is my opinion that when science develops DNA modifications that 100% stops all aging, it's implimentation will become mandatory. Why do you think the medical symbol is 2 snakes making the double helix? Why do you think it is a snake in the garden of eden getting the humans tossed out? You cannot move into eternal newness and evermore consciousness while in this finite animal shell.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

the concept of immortality just means that we do not unconsciously die meaning we have full and conscious control over both the physical form and our physical experience. it is really no different than death as we know it today. today we physically die but as a soul we move on to another experience. immortality just means that we do not have to go through the death process (physical body dies) in order to be able to do this. that we get to consciously choose this for ourselves in a way that is graceful and painless and full of life and peace instead of death.

and yes very very very very soon this idea is going to be very very very real.

who in the hell would not want these things (if they knew they had a choice)?

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I would never choose to be immortal. However, live a few hundred years? Sure. But we all need death.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by tkwasny
It is my opinion that when science develops DNA modifications that 100% stops all aging, it's implimentation will become mandatory. Why do you think the medical symbol is 2 snakes making the double helix? Why do you think it is a snake in the garden of eden getting the humans tossed out? You cannot move into eternal newness and evermore consciousness while in this finite animal shell.

The dual snakes also represents the energy centers of the body, the chakras,
and the energy bath taken by the chakras as well,

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by beezzer

Exist forever in a crummy word, or eventually die and go somewhere cleaner and safer?

come on, really? You gotta know what you'd choose...

What makes you think It's any better on the otherside? If anything It's more extreme variations of what we experience here.
edit on 20-2-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Well, as long as we have no proof of anything, anything goes!

Who are you to say what it's like on the other side?

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I just thought it a novel approach to make immortality a weapon.

Something used to punish mankind.

Imagine, suicide, murder, or severe accidents being the only way to die.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Well I believe that when we pass on, we exist within consciousness itself. That may be the reason a Heaven and Hell exist.

Within this mass consciousness, everything that's ever been thought of by anything in this universe exists there.

You will gravitate towards the beliefs you had during this lifetime. So if you've done something wrong in life, just hearing about Hell in this life, even if you never believed in it, well It's been created by everyone else's consciousness, so you could end up there wether you intended to or not.

That's my personal belief though.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

It's not too bad, if you burn charcoal in a closed room the carbon monoxide builds, and you just peacefully drift off. Doesn't have to be too horrific.

Now if we get this virus, and they take all options of a peaceful suicide away then it would be horrid.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21

It's not too bad, if you burn charcoal in a closed room the carbon monoxide builds, and you just peacefully drift off. Doesn't have to be too horrific.

Now if we get this virus, and they take all options of a peaceful suicide away then it would be horrid.

Actually, that'd make an awesome premise for a novel!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21

Actually, that'd make an awesome premise for a novel!

It would wouldn't it? Get writing before someone steals it.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I love this subject.

I would personally try and live only a thousand years. That to me is enough time to learn all things I really want to but cant with a 50-100 year life span.

I wouldn't want more, it would be pointless. It is best to retire when the work is done. There is no honor in being a bitter old man.

I don't think we are too far off. The genes are there, just dormant. We in theory will have very long life spans eventually. I personally think we are returning to our original genetic coding. We are descendants of gods right?

They weren't immortal, but had very long life spans. I think we were limited as a whole with a few exceptions here and there to be the catalyst for our gradual development. I take the life spans of the biblical patriarchs as literal. IN the story of mankind's creation we progressively de-evolved from Adamu and his descendants. This is what caused Enki to create civilized man again, this time with his own royal seed. According to Sumerian tablets......

We have the opposite effect this time around. Enki in his endless defiance, he instilled in us a slow, but progressive gene therapy that will eventually make us like our creators. That's what I got from the story anyways.

edit on 20-2-2012 by casenately because: fix

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Also if humans became immortal do you think they would desiree to remain in their human form? we are not immortal but to help us live longer we are already utilizing machines and technology.....

life as it now there is no easy way out, and it isnt easy to remain in....... i think this is pretty much the idea of heaven and hell in early religion..... to sin often would corrupt the body and give one a hellish physical and mental existence with an uncomfortable prolonged death sentence... where as being graceful, and clean, and healthy one could be comfortable all though life and exist peacefully and safely out the other end.....

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

But my premise (and the books') is immortality while being stuck in human form. Bein stuck as punisment or retribution from theterrorists (again, in the book).

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

If immortality meant surrendering my body, then hell no.

My body is very important to me. It is the inheritance my family gives that cannot be stolen,
It gives me extra sensory perception.
It makes me humble before my elders and the young.
It does allot. It is not just a transportation vehicle for my soul. It is the expression of it on earth.

I also like my taste buds, and my sense of touch......its nice.lol

Plus I wouldn't want to fear getting wet or rusty for eternity....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join