It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grow your own home and clothes (interesting Ted talks)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Just wanted to post a few very intriguing Ted talks that pertain to providing some very cool solutions to urban problems.

First is Suzanne Lee: Grow your own clothes

I think we could easily find some very useful applications for biodegradable clothes, especially in the food service and service industries where disposable clothes are used frequently.

Then we got Mitchell Joachim: Don't build your home, grow it!

This cat is SO cool! He gets my respect and award for thinking outside the box. He gives that term a bizarre, fleshy new name. We wants your house to be 100% organic organism and 100% cruelty free. Your kitchen (now part biolab) could grow proteins in the shape of a steak and a cow never needs to die. I'm sure we would get used to the anus windows and doors (maybe not). But the concept is very radical and worth looking at. I'm thinking now maybe try making the walls and house structures from grown insect shells, that would have unlimited uses I bet.

Now what if these 2 collaborated?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
One Acre of Hemp will support 5 people or so the company says I buy my Hemp seed from.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by colsislander
One Acre of Hemp will support 5 people or so the company says I buy my Hemp seed from.

This is the company and they are always sends extra information on how good the product is for the world www.hempandcompany.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I have no idea how to "grow" my jeans... I mean... I havent found the trees they grown on.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
I have no idea how to "grow" my jeans... I mean... I havent found the trees they grown on.

It's called a "jean bush" they grow well in a arid climate...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

Super cool stuff coming around, great potential for the future.

Too bad you can't embed these here, cuz I don't think the above posters saw them.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

He ends up talking about meat houses with sphincters for doors. I'm so glad I'm living in these times.

I can't wait to be the epitome of hypocrisy by being the first vegan to live in an ALL MEAT HOUSE. The future is so promising now.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

exactly my thoughts, I'm still reeling with ideas that this could potentially open up when you open the box up a little

I mean think, you could have a "grown" house, superlight, superstrong, from hybrid insect skeleton and wild dragonfly wing windows, heck just make the whole house have wings! Yay my house can fly. For waste disposal/grey water, garbage disposal: the house simply eats your scraps and pewp. Totally stable design and system. Your laundry room could be this growroom with a corner area that ate your dirty clothes, maybe a special area with smaller cleaners that nibbled your delicates clean?

You could grow big claws and do battle, wait no, no we don't do that.

One application I think that would be cool is a huge variety self sustaining greenhouses, that have only the varieties of fruit and vegetables (and MEAT!) that you like all woven together in a balanced symbiosis.

so many ideas

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by cuervo

He ends up talking about meat houses with sphincters for doors. I'm so glad I'm living in these times.

I can't wait to be the epitome of hypocrisy by being the first vegan to live in an ALL MEAT HOUSE. The future is so promising now.

Good times to be alive indeed.

You could grow a house of tofu! Or at least possibly a livable "Jack's Beanstaulk", have vertical levels that grew up the side of a waterfall that fed exotic orchid and butterfly varieties, full of all sorts of natural remedies. Your shower and bathroom could be naturally growing antimicrobial crystals and compounds. surfaces would clean themselves.

You could have a baby winged insect car that your house gave birth to and then ate every 9 months or so, upgrading certain features along the way as it read your needs and responses. Always have that new car appeal, smell and excitement.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

It's called a "jean bush" they grow well in a arid climate...

isn't jean bush a relative of the presidential bush family?

top topics

join