It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Senators Say U.S. Should Arm Syrian Rebels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Personally, I saw this coming a long time ago, but I never thought they would be so open about their plans for regime change. I'm sure glad John Mccain isn't the final decision maker in U.S. politics, even though a lot of his colleagues share the same views.

www.nytimes.com...

With the Syrian government continuing its deadly crackdown on its citizens, two senior American senators who were on their way to the Middle East spoke out strongly on Sunday in favor of arming the Syrian opposition forces.

The senators, John McCain of Arizona and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, both Republicans, laid out a series of diplomatic, humanitarian and military aid proposals that would put the United States squarely behind the effort to topple President Bashar al-Assad of Syria.

Mr. McCain said the United States would not have to send weapons directly to the opposition but could work through “third-world countries” and the Arab League.

“Breaking Syria apart from Iran could be as important to containing a nuclear Iran as sanctions,” Mr. Graham said. “If the Syrian regime is replaced with another form of government that doesn’t tie its future to the Iranians, the world is a better place.”

Syria is already in a bloody civil war that will only get worse. I personally believe that the West has already been funding the Rebel uprising in Syria so this news isn't that surprising, but it's worrisome nonetheless. I wonder what Russia and China will have to say about this. Russia may decide to supply more weaponry to Syria due to this announcement.

It certainly appears that the stage for Assad's removal is almost set.
edit on 19-2-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The senators, John McCain of Arizona and Lindsey Graham of South Carolin are both well known war mongers So it doesn't surprise me much.
edit on 19-2-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I feel like perhaps we should learn from the past and cease arming rebel groups which we fail to support resulting in yet another band of people mad as hell at America. I'm surprised the war monger in chief isn't already on board.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I'm surprise that they still even allow McCain out in public.

He sure makes a good candidate to back this though.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

My guess is that Obama is for this, but he cannot publicly defend another conflict due to the upcoming elections. They need to watch their rhetoric so they don't offend Russia too much.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
If I understand correctly, McCain is saying that if the US facilitates someone else arming Syrian opposition fighters as opposed to doing it itself, then the US won't be seen to be involved in that sort of thing.

Well it sort of defeats the object of doing something discreetly and deniably if you loudly announce it beforehand you dickhead.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

These are the same two Senators who sponsored the NDAA bill. You know the one that basically declared war on the American people. Graham saying that when citizens picked up and want a lawyer you will be told you don't get one. The same people who said they want to scare the American people. Apparently they don't care who they kill as long as they get to kill someone. McCain was spouting off about NATO attacking Libya by proxy. He is in Egypt telling them more like threatening them. Now the both of them are wanting to attack Syria by proxy. There was a time that I was dumb enough to have some respect for McCain but that is long gone.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
QUICK, someone get both John McCain and Lindsey Graham dressed up in combat uniform and on the next flight to Syria to participate in the fighting. They are both so OBSESSED with WARS and COMBAT, lets ship them out to Syria ASAP.

...one way ticket...

edit on 19-2-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Here is another of the usual warmongering suspects wanting to arm the "Syrian freedom fighters". Lieberman always makes me nauseous and lets me cringe when he speaks about foreign policy.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Here is another indicator of what many of us already believe:

U.S. providing secret aid to Syria opposition: diplomat

Maalouf said the doors of the White House and Congress are open to officials from the Syrian expatriate community, most of whom are supportive of the SNC, adding that the U.S. is secretly providing aid to the opposition, though he did not specify whether this support was financial or military.

According to this article, it's already been happening. The Syrian government has always accused the West of intervention, including funding and military support.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
When I read the headline...i knew who the 2 Senators were without knowing anything else.

It's always McCain and Graham. It's what they are known for.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
We can't even get our own house in order. We have a invasion coming from the south, the economy is in the trash receptacle, yadda yadda, and we need more war according to these critters. Interesting how our politicians think we can clean up other countries with weapons and war but we can't do anything to clean up here.

Ron Paul ain't the loony one here, it's congresscritters like these that are the real loons.If we don't get RP in there(one voice of reason in the White house will do wonders, methinks), we will go down, literally, as the most stupid people in the most stupid country, ever, in the history of history. We could also get a boost by ousting all the congresscritters but that's a long shot.

Non-Paul's opinion may vary. I don't care. Flame me, troll me, attack me, I cannot care. RP isn't the messiah but he's the only sane one inside the beltway.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
When I read the headline...i knew who the 2 Senators were without knowing anything else.

It's always McCain and Graham. It's what they are known for.

Ha that was exactly what I was thinking.
This Syrian conflict is getting really out of hand and people are dying daily because of it. Think fueling it with more guns and bullets is going to cure anything? Idk just hope it gets resolved peacefully

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
QUICK, someone get both John McCain and Lindsey Graham dressed up in combat uniform and on the next flight to Syria to participate in the fighting. They are both so OBSESSED with WARS and COMBAT, lets ship them out to Syria ASAP.

...one way ticket...

Look, you know as well as I do that as soon as the Syrians get to know McCain and Graham, they'll be mad as hell at us for sending them such a load of crap. I think we would be better off if we give them a one-way ticket to Newt's new moon base, even if it's not built yet.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Look at the state we've left Libya in.
People are still dying and being tortured by the rebels that we helped in a coup.

Our governments have wreaked havoc in the middle-east and North Africa.
It's not We the people but the criminals we've put into place.

Leave the rest of the world to live their lives and let's get our own countries sorted out !

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Instead of empowering people to kill people and fight their fights for them, how about we drop John McCain and Lindsey Graham off over Homs and let them parachute down, give them some guns, and let them fight for whatever side they want to fight for. American taxes payers have already sent hundreds of millions in aid over the decades to Syrian's President Bashar al-Assad of Syria, and/or their "regime". Now we are on the opposing side? Empowering those who's chief complaint is how corrupt their government is BECAUSE of their relationship with the United States, and the West's influence over their leaders?

Ya, let's fly a plane over Homs and shove John McCain and Lindsey Graham out of the aircraft with parachutes and whatever they can carry. We don't need these lawmakers anyways, we already have enough laws as it is, and even they can't be inforced, nor does anybody have a chance of even learning the number of these mandatory expectations in one life time.

Besides, odds are very much in favor that America has already spent a lot of resources to help incite and support in the regional instability throughout the Middle East and Africa.

I bet my ATS account there is at least one gun in Syria that came from America, or the American government.

ughh.... Can you hear the level of frustration in my voice concerning how tax dollars are spent without having to be accountable for that money to the very people who pay those taxes?

top topics

join