It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading the Bible

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainNemo

Those are titles, not names. ANd again ELohim can plural or singular.

The sacred name is the tetragrammaton. Yahweh transliterated from YHWH is the closest translation we can get, because the name given to Moses has been lost through oral history
This seems to me to be a cultic slogan I see people posting on this sub-forum without any kind of substantiation; this one about how these are titles. I just gave you the evidence from the authoritative Rabbinical writing on the subject that they are in fact sacred names. If you want to dispute it I suggest you produce something comparable which disagrees.
I have a thread on Bowman's book, and I suggest you read the thread and the book which it is about.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
If you read the book, another bit of information is how the High Priest would on the Porch of the Temple pronounce the twelve letter name of God, while the priests chanted the blessing during the daily Tamid. This is according to Rabbi Tarphon (who was very young when the temple still stood, having tagged along with his uncle, and heard it himself).
Rab Jehudah said there was a forty two letter name of God that only few people were given, T. B. Kidd. 71a. or Ḳidushin.
edit on 22-2-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Divine 'rabbinical authority':

And I'm just ASTOUNDED by your hypocritical responses. Let's quote you:

jmdewey60 said:

You are not a Christian and are a quasi-Jew since you reject the New Testament. Christ's name is Jesus, according to the New Testament. Jesus is the I Am, according to the New Testament. You have a anti-christ, and an anti-god. Now if you want to discuss the Old Testament, which the thread is about, go ahead but I am not interested in discussing salvation theology with a non-Christian who could have nothing to offer to me.

So in your words any type of OT references including the sacred name of God not mentioned in the New Testament has no bearing on you

Your definition of an anti-Semite is anyone who is not a Zionist of the most extreme variety such as yourself who applauds the concept of a select group of people murdering other people for not being of their group and justifying it all by placing the label, God, on the whole thing.

You admitted to being an anti-semite

So YHWH is the opposite of a proper name and is the angel refusing to be identified but just to be understood as the representative of the Lord who had appeared to his ancestors. Elohim can refer to anyone or anything which is not just an ordinary flesh and blood human being.

Wait didn't you just say all those are sacred names of God?
www.abovetopsecret.com... dated 21-2-2012

You're a convoluted hypocrite

But hey maybe you don't go back on your word often

The link you gave dated 11-11-2011

I can't listen to you anymore, you regularly go back on your word and have lost all credibility

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainNemo

So in your words any type of OT references including the sacred name of God not mentioned in the New Testament has no bearing on you
Should there have been a question mark at the end of that since you made no punctuation, maybe you just forgot?
Whether anything whatsoever in the Old Testament has or has not an effect on me has no bearing on what the topic is on this thread, meaning the specific questions brought up in the course of the conversation regarding the basic sort of concept that is behind the Christian understanding of trinity of the godhead. The only thing of consequence is what the OT is saying and how the people who lived under that book understood it, just as there is not an explicit statement of fact of a trinity in the New Testament, the practitioners under that system do in fact understand that there is a trinity. How The Jews understood the concept of the oneness of God would in my opinion be a good way to get at how people who lived by the Old Testament understood it.

You admitted to being an anti-semite
Forgot again to punctuate so I am guessing you meant to put a question mark there. Assuming you are asking me a question, I will answer with, No. What you were quoting is something I said to someone else, on another thread which was about mass genocide in the OT and I was giving my opinion of how he defined antisemitism in the light of his rabid support for all the killings described in the Bible and went on to project into the present by way of justifying Israelis murdering Palestinians and anyone else who seem to object to their illegal occupation of other people's land.

You're a convoluted hypocrite
If I may offer an alternative explanation, I would suggest the possibility that you are so blinded by your fanatical partisanship that you are incapable of making an objective evaluation of anyone else's motives.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
I don't believe in something
Than you better stop reading, because you'll make from the Bible your own philosophy. And I won't give you they answers, just because you won't drink milk (1Pe_2:2) and if I should give you honey you will die because baby's can't have eat honey because you should suffocate in it.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

God is one but there are 3 persons in the Godhead.

You forgot the one that is the most important one, the Goddess. Queen of Heaven, and Mother of all of all the Gods. Don't know Her, do you? She sees all of you, and she is angry with you all for forgetting Her for so long.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by KJV1611

it is the ONLY Authorized version of the Holy Bible.

The "authorized" bit came later and has nothing to do with the Bible itself. It's a man-made thing.

I also think that the Evangelical Church of Germany (EKD) would be quite perplexed when you say that only the KJV is authorized. At the front of every Luther Bible, it says that it is the text recommended for church use. Thus it is the "authorized" version.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join