It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Currency of the future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
As stated above, what do you think will be used as currency in the future?

With the value of the dollar falling, and paper money becoming less trusted I feel like gold, silver, guns, bullets, livestock, land, and food are going to become the new currencys.

What do you all think will be our "new" currency?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Eventually it will be a world cashless electronic currency issued by a world bank, if we continue on the path we're going.

We're never going back to the gold standard. That ship has sailed; there isn't enough gold in the world to be redeemed for fiat currency.

The big banks have so much power that it will take members of the military to wake up and stop defending them, in order to stop what the elite world leaders want for the world.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
real goods/services you can live off of and trade.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

It needs to go back to that and where credit is issued by the people providing the goods and services instead of private bankers through fractional reserve banking, that can't even survive without a central bank.

Why does the money industry dominate the world today instead of industries that provide the needs for basic human existence? Think about that.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

That's what we have today!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
very interesting topic OP. It all depends on how far in the future and the level of technology. For instance, I belive once we have nano machines and nano scale construction and deconstruction of objects, the currency will probably take the form of molecular credits; personal allotments of various molecules/ elements.

Imagine a world where the city has holding tanks holding all kinds of molecules and tubes or pipes connecting all these tanks to various nano tech, manufacturing machines spread through out the city.

Then, if you need something, you go up to the machine select an object from the database, the nano machines grab the molecules from the storage tanks and builds what you want, while deducting the individual molecular credits from your account.

One of the great things about such a futuristic system is there would be far less loss, plus you would more be renting an object then owning it, because when you are done with it, you could throw it back in the machine and the nanites would rip it apart, return the molecules to the various storage tanks and reimburse those credits back to your account; almost a purely efficient recycling system.

And imagine if you could do that today, you just bought the ipad two and they roll out the ipad three, instead of being stuck with it, you just throw the second version back into the machine, rip it apart and have it build the third version, and depending on the difference in molecules, it probably wouldn't cost you any extra credits.

Of course the value of objects would then be based on the amount and type of molecules used in their construction, the over all molecular complexity and of course the availability of the various molecules.

Anyway, cool thread and a cool idea, OP.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
paper backed by a gold standard again

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
If everything were ever to go to hell, the new currency would be food and ammo.

And in that same situation, gold is nothing but a shiny looking useless metal that actually serves NO real actual purpose other than making the holder THINK that they are "rich".

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

Agreed
I have only enough gold to barter with what I'll refer to as the short term survivors
But eventually digital credits of some description via DNA or chip contact
edit on 19-2-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added comment

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Gold and silver. They are not just useless metals - they are money. The purpose of money is to facilitate trade, not to have intrinsic value. Even if the main commodities are food and ammo, some kind of money would still be useful because barter is impractical for most small-scale transactions. That is, it is difficult to establish how much things are worth relative to each other without using some kind of unit of measurement. This unit of measurement is called money. Gold and silver work very well for this, because they can be turned into pieces of certain weight, and then the value of things can be measured in weights of gold and silver. Using physical gold and silver should also prevent any organization or individual from having economic dominance, because they (practically) cannot be artificially produced.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

You're mistaking currency for a good/service. It's not. Currency is simply a warehouse receipt/IOU that states I own x and that you can collect it whenever you wish, as long as you have the receipt.

Bringing real goods and services into all transactions is very impractical. You can't carry a house or car. You can carry a receipt that says I possess the house or car in question, though.
edit on 19-2-2012 by imherejusttoread because: -bring +bringing

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Wow, so much negativity and dinosaur thinking on this thread. The truth is science is pushing forward; nanotech is coming, in fact if you look at the advances coming from the scientific community more and more of it is using the principles of nanotechnology; like all the really cool new alloys and materials being developed, it won't be all that much longer before the first nanites will be developed and programmed and the world will change; for good or for bad, but it will change, and the old ways and the old thinking are not going to serve humanity any more.

It saddens me, that so many of you, when given the opportunity to imagine the currency of a future world, only seem to be able to imagine the currency of some catastrophic dooms day scenario; like bullets, guns, livestock, food, or old systems that will fail; like gold and silver.

Looking at the media and the world today, I can understand why many of you see only doom and gloom, but the truth is humanity gets the future it envisions and constantly imagining doomsday futures and scenarios, only pushes us closer to them, like a self fulfilling prophecy and that is not some new age mumbo jumbo, it's just the way the world works. Between the so called elite and all you black clouds of negativity, you will all probably destroy the world; you don't seem to be working towards a better future, only preparing for a bad one. The sad thing is people like me, who are tired of the bravo sierra and are ready to see a better future for all humanity, will probably get drug along into your future of economic collapse, wars and disaster. Oh well, that is why I kind of chose my account name, people like me really are prisoners on a ship of fools.

Anyway I am out of this thread,enjoy and continue imagining and arguing doomsday currencies in three, two, one.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Something that says

CHINA!!! HAHAHA TAKE THAT WHITEY

Written all over it, hopefully with some pandas and a guy with a really really long white whispy beard too.

In real terms currency will become electronic chits, as the monetary system becomes privitised, you will have Google Dollars, one Google Dollar may be worth 12 General Electric Dollars, 12 General Electric Dollars maybe worth 4 HSBC Sterling etc which in turn could be worth 65 New New York Patriot Chits.

Then finaly it will be phased out and money will cease to exist.
edit on 19-2-2012 by Ixtab because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
2 months after the EMP strike it will be:

1. 12 Ga shells.
2. .22LR bullets.
3. Anything antibiotic or that can sterilize.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drew99GT

It needs to go back to that and where credit is issued by the people providing the goods and services instead of private bankers through fractional reserve banking, that can't even survive without a central bank.

Why does the money industry dominate the world today instead of industries that provide the needs for basic human existence? Think about that.

indeed, debt based society has always been doomed to fail, rich get richer, everyone else gets poorer.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Energy is the ultimate currency.

new topics

top topics

join