It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Inside Out” Biscuits and Sausage Gravy recipe...yum!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
“Inside Out” Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 12 count cupcake pan generously with butter-flavored non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

Gravy:
5 tbsp of bacon grease drippings
5 tbsp of all-purpose flour
3-4 cups of milk (I usually just “eyeball” the amount)
1-2 tbsp of mesquite flavored fajita seasoning (I usually just “eyeball” the amount)
1 package of Jimmy dean Hearty Sausage Crumbles (use Turkey package for less fat)
Whisk

Add flour and bacon grease drippings to medium frying pan and which on low-medium heat. Do not overheat. Add milk a little at a time continuing to whisk. Add fajita seasoning (taste for your preference on how much). Turn heat to medium. Continue to whisk until gravy is thickened to the right consistency. This is your basic sawmill gravy recipe. Add Jimmy dean Hearty Sausage Crumbles. If the gravy gets too thick, add a little more milk. Don’t add too much as you don’t want it to be watery. Set gravy aside to cool slightly.

Biscuits:
2 cans Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers Butter Tastin’ biscuits
Flour
Rolling pin
1 egg beaten

Flour a clean surface and the rolling pin. Roll out 1 biscuit completely until flat. Drape it over a cupcake hole in the cupcake pan. Add a ladle full gravy mixture right in the center and let the biscuit bottom naturally sink into the hole (so as not to tear the biscuit trying to manually mold it in to the pan). Pinch all of the open ends of the biscuit together tightly (don’t get any gravy on the outer rim of the rolled out biscuit when filling or the ends will not pinch shut). Repeat until the pan is full. Brush the beaten egg wash over the entire top of each biscuit. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown. Let cool before eating, enjoy!!

edit on 19-2-2012 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

Thanks for posting this!
It looks and sounds good enough that I wll have to give it a try.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yum!!!
Biscuits and Gravy, Where I'm from we call it SOS! Also was called SOS in the Navy as well. Great stuff.
I'm sure i don't need to clarify the SOS acronym.

Of course in this case it would be called SIS

edit on 19-2-2012 by Pegasus2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Can someone tell me how to make biscuits please i'm from the uk and would love to try them. buiscuits and gravy sounds wonderful

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
LeatherNLace,Thank you so much for this recipe im going to get the ingredients tomorrow and make this i simply love (Biscuits and Gravy) S&F for a great thread ..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I made them on Tuesday evening for dinner. My children loved them.

They want me to make biscuits with cheeseburgers inside now.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by imnothereru

Do they not sell canned biscuits in the UK?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
HOLY CRAP those look good and I'm not a fan of traditional biscuits and gravy. These however look like something I"d eat.

I will have to try these sometime. I saw this thread last night but was on my phone so I could't really comment and I have been thinking about them since. lol THey would have been great for breakfast but the power was out so I will try another morning.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Those look really good!

I need a good Ausie meat pie recipe...

they kinda look like these...

Yummmmmmmmm..

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace

Do they not sell canned biscuits in the UK?

no they dont i need a recipe pretty plz

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Honestly, since we have canned, I have not made a home made biscuit in years. But, this looks like a pretty good recipe.

Extra-Flaky Southern Buttermilk Biscuits

Ingredients:
4 ½ cups white lily all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ cup cold unsalted butter or ½ cup margarine or ½ cup shortening , cut into pieces
1 ¾-2 cups cold buttermilk
½ cup unsalted butter , plus
1 tablespoon unsalted butter , softened to room temperature,cut into 1 tablespoon portions
1 tablespoon unsalted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine , melted,for brushing tops

Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 450° (500° if using a convection oven).
2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
4. Cut cold butter or shortening into dry ingredients with a pastry blender.
5. (Mixture will resemble coarse crumbs, with no large chunks of butter.) If butter gets very soft at this point, refrigerate mixture for 20 minutes.
6.Add 1 3/4 cups buttermilk, stirring just to moisten all ingredients.
7. Dough should be soft and moist; add remaining 1/4 cup as needed.
8. Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface and knead gently about 10 times, or just until dough holds together.
9. Roll or pat dough into a 14-by-10-inch rectangle.
10. With short side nearest you, spread top two-thirds of dough with 3 tablespoons soft butter, leaving bottom third, closest to you, unbuttered.
11. Fold dough into thirds (like you would fold a letter) by pulling bottom third up over center and then pulling top third over middle.
12. Turn dough so short side faces you.
13. Pat into a 9-by-12-inch rectangle.
14. In same manner, spread again with 3 tablespoons soft butter and fold letter style.
15. Turn once more in the same manner.
16. Pat into a 9-by-12-inch rectangle; spread with remaining 3 tablespoons soft butter and fold up.
17. Work quickly and gently so as not to overwork dough.
18. Pat dough into rectangle 3/4-inch thick on floured surface.
19. Cut into squares with a sharp chef's knife.
20. Place on pan, 1 inch apart.
21. Lightly brush tops with melted butter.
22. Bake in center of hot oven about 20 minutes (about 12 minutes in convection), until golden brown and firm.
23. Serve hot, warm or room temperature.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

I have not tried a meat pie using canned biscuits. However, I like the idea and was thinking of trying it next time myself.

Here is my usual meat pie filling recipe. It is a shredded beef recipe instead of ground beef.

Ingredients:
1 Chuck Roast (average size)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions sliced
6 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 lb of bacon cooked and chopped
2 cups of beef stock
1 1/2 cups stout beer
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
8 peppercorns
10 springs of thyme
2 Bay leaves

Directions:
Put olive oil in dutch oven or stew pot with heat turned to medium high. Brown roast turning on all sides. Add onions to the pot and turn heat down to medium. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients to the pot until boiling, then turn the heat to medium low. Cook for 2.5-3 hrs turning the roast every 45 minutes until the meat is super tender. Pull the roast out reserving the contents of the pot, cool and then shred the meat removing all the fat. Remove the Bay Leaves from the pot. Put the shredded meat back into the pot.

Then, follow the "Inside Out Biscuit" recipe, but substitute the sausage gravy filling for the shredded beef filling. Should turn out pretty good!
edit on 26-2-2012 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

thankyou so much i shall try these

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

That sounds lovelly too ill try that as well

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
My kids had me make them last night with cheeseburgers inside the biscuits.

They loved them, in fact, my boy was eating them warmed up for breakfast this morning. I will try ham and cheese next.

new topics

top topics

join