It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New camera,tips appreciated :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Hi folks I have just got a canon eos 550d camera to use as my new regular day to day camera,but I also wish to use it to capture images through my telescope.

Here is a review of the camera:
www.dpreview.com...

I have made a public photobucket account for folks to see a few early,and admittedly not very good test photos of my new camera.

Here is my dog:

and here is one of my tests with the telescope attached,its about 1.3miles away as the crow flies:

The moon rises over that hill,and would look great if this darned fog would lift...one day.

Any how,I am over the moon with what I have seen so far.
This camera is a beast of such a different nature to what I learned about in college.
I was trained on old school film,and darkroom-we are talking late80's/early90's.

The camera I have contains a computer which is more powerful than the one I type on now.
It can do all the stuff you would need bulky,expensive equipment for 20 years ago.

But I need a bit of help or constructive criticism along the way, so if anyone has any tips I would be happy to read them.
I will put more pics on this page now if my bandwidth allows:
s1167.photobucket.com...

Thanks for looking folks.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

A Canon eos 550d eh? Well color me jealous SS, that is one fine unit man! I have an Olympus camera with many bells and whistles, but I am satisfied with it's auto function,or program mode most of the time. I do like to experiment with under/over exposing, as well as adjusting shutter speed for action shots, or open shutter saturation.

One thing I did that was helpful, was take a note pad and find a subject or scene to shoot, then adjust your cameras functions for several shots, and take notes of each shot and the adjustments. Then later you can determine which techniques appeal to you.

ISO is an important factor too, in terms of available light and graininess in pics. Here is a link with explanations, although it sounds like you have an understanding of photography in general.
www.photography101.org...

Man I bet it is a bit intimidating with all those features, and I am guessing the manual is pretty thick too. I like the dog shot, and you should have an ADEP function for depth of field focus. I only use mine to focus fore and background simultaneously. Usually I like one to be blurred a bit, but hey, you can do it all with your Canon.
I see that if you google specific 'tips' for your camera model, there are many links and vids.

I really like a cable shutter release too, for holding the shutter open to maximize color or for time lapse exposure. The cable allows operation without shaking. They have remote controlled shutter releases too.

Best wishes and have fun,
spec
edit on 19-2-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: add info

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

hey thank you S.O.

We think alike-I have started to jot down settings on a little pad the day I got the camera- just like you said.
Its a cracking tip,especially for me-I really need those reminders to help me keep the last days knowledge when it comes to this camera-many menus,but after two weeks I am no longer scared by the learning curve,I am loving it.

I am going out testing more tomorrow,and will post the pics on my photobucket.

Cheers S.O.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I am planning on getting a Rebel DSLR too, and one thing I like about getting these nice cameras is one, how it motivates me to get out and about more to capture some nice shots, and two, how it makes me start seeing things from a photographers perspective. I really like the optical viewfinder verses the lcd display, and all the new compact cameras have abandoned optical viewfinders.

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
If you want to get the full potential out of the camera and for you to learn quickly then use manual, all the time.

After a few weeks you'll be able to juggle the aperture and shutter speed with ease, and it will really pay off in the long run.

Also, if you want to get the most out of your images then it would be worth learning how to use Photoshop / Lightroom alongside learning the camera.

Just get out and play!

- Photographer for a living

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueInstinct

Good advice-The manual is massive,but I am constantly referring to it still.
There is much to learn yet.

This is quite a learning curve for me,my last SLR was a humble canon AE-1,which I still use from time to time,although films and developing are expensive.

Still a great camera the AE-1,although this 550d is like a sentient being in comparison.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
AE-1's are great little cameras. I've got 2 and use them quite regularly still. Got a 1984 L.A Olympics, AE-1 Program, still working great after soo many years!

I'd recommend picking up some photography magazines every now and then as well, lots of helping articles & techniques to learn. All done in much simpler guides than the daunting manuals you can buy for DSLR's these days.

Use it everyday and you'll soon be getting the right exposures within seconds. Good luck!

new topics

top topics

join