It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prediction Peak Oil Thread will become very popular

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I predict that in less that 3 years this forum will be one of the most popular forums here on ATS when we have gas lines all around the world at any gasoline price. The only thing that I can see stopping this would be a global economic crisis of epic proportions but this will only delay the inevitable as recovery causes energy prices to increase.

I hope that in the future when more ATS members are reading this that you take the necessary measures to protect yourself and your loved ones from high energy prices (if it isn't already to late) and their effect on your ability to heat your house and feed yourself.
edit on 19-2-2012 by epsilon69 because: added post

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I think the key to the argument of Peak Oil, is that it not only ignores the huge amounts of oil yet to be found, but other hydrocarbon fuels as well. Even if the “theory” holds water, which I argue on its face (or in your face, as some so delightedly pointed out), we will not be out of hydrocarbons and our cars stranded on the side of the road during this century. This is the perceived “crisis” of  Peak Oil that tells us that declining production and increasing demand will cause a disruption in supply.

But if we are to be limited in our driving, because of  gasoline shortages, we can simply switch over to other alternatives and install a methane tank to convert over to natural gas, right now, today. Or switch to electric. How about fuel cells? Carry a kite or put up a sail. Limited driving due to shortages is the same as higher prices, and are not a crisis, unless the majority can no longer afford it.

There will never be "no oil" in your lifetime, so relax, and discern the truth for yourself when you get the facts. If you are old enough to read this, your shiny car will have plenty of gasoline for your lifetime. You may not be able to afford it, but the world cannot possibly run out.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by epsilon69

Peak oil is a non-issue on ATS.

It is real and happening , and only getting worse.

Consider that for every calorie of food consumed , it takes 10 calories of energy to get it to consumption.

Anyone see world population going down lately?

China and India are Modernizing and consuming oil that wasn't being used before.

There are oils to be found, and refined, but at higher rates of recovery dollars.

As another poster said , dont worry , you wont be able to afford it, before it runs out.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

Oh it's real. Millions of untapped barrels of fresh oil just waiting to be drilled. Even in America's own backyard.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by LonelyGuy

Oh it's real. Millions of untapped barrels of fresh oil just waiting to be drilled. Even in America's own backyard.

I think you meant to say billions of barrels, and you are correct in that, but consider the US alone uses 13 million barrels a day, you do the math.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Unfortunately people are very subjective. They are only aware of what affects them for the moment so you'll only see them in here when gas prices go up. They can't seem to tie food prices and failing economies to this. It's beyond them.

I think a world of hurt is coming and I suspect there are more people paid to be disinfo agents than we are aware. For the masses that are all too happy to hear "There's no oil crisis, go back to sleep" they concern me enough to be even more focused. My own conclusion after years of looking into this is there is NO reasonable replacement for oil and a larger part of the population will have to go away. It takes energy to support living, breathing, human beings. That energy is at the starting line of decline.

Lucky in a way for us, so far the Middle Eastern nations haven't been able to fight back any too well. Unlucky for them and their families though. Iran will likely be different. Perhaps not, but at some time other parts of the world which are better equipped will fight back. Then all of the casual words people have fluttered from their lips will come home to roost.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Apollumi

The scariest thing that a lot of people didn't predict was how quickly Net Exports are drying up. Couple this with declining world oil production in a few years and we have the perfect storm for massive shortages in the industrialized world either that or price spikes that will put the economy into a coma.

I don't think the relationship between energy and economics is well understood here on ATS. Heck some people on ATS don't understand the difference between an energy source and energy storage. I see threads all the time with people claiming to have solved the worlds oil problems with either compressed air or hydrogen. They do not understand that compressing the air or producing the hydrogen requires burning fossil fuels in one way or another.
edit on 5-3-2012 by epsilon69 because: spelling

new topics

top topics

join