It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man 'survives two months trapped in a snowed in car' Went into hibernation.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Just heard an amazing story of survival over on bbc news. I can not even begin to imagine the horror and prolonged claustrophobia of being stuck in a snowed in car for two months with no food. Unbelievable that he survived.Incredible story, I see a film in the making. It seems that he may have slipped into a kind of hibernation if that is true then this would have remarkable implications that we can go into a hibernation state and maybe useful for extended space travel.www.bbc.co.uk...

A Swedish man has survived being trapped in his snow-covered car for two months without food, police say.

The car was found on Friday at the end of a forest track more than 1 km (0.6 miles) from a main road in northern Sweden.

Police say the temperature in the area had recently dropped to -30C (-22F).

The man, who was too weak to utter more than a few words, said he had been inside since 19 December. He may have survived by drinking melted snow.

edit on 19-2-2012 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I was about to post this story...

Quite crazy! When you want to survive... you can...

Here's a link
edit on 19-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

I just made a joke about this in another thread related to the same subject. It sounds a little silly if you ask me but then maybe I'm just feeling funny tonight.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
i would break my way outta that Beech!

Break a window and slowly let snow in to melt, and keep repeating that over and over and over and over !

But then again, i've never been trapped in an avalanche in my car

I think my idea is a good one though

btw, this is crazy if it's true..which it seems to be. I guess if he was at the very least drinking water then it makes sense.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Most of the Irish hunger strikers of 1981, protesting against English rule, they died around day 60.

And that was with the presence of medical staff, in heated accomodation etc.

So this guy is really quite a lucky man to survive.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
The way I feel during the winter months, it would not surprise me if we had hidden abilities, dormant "junk" dna that scientists don't know what it is used for, which is most of our dna, btw.

Somewhere among our dormant dna there may be instructions for us to hybernate, given the right set of circumstances.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

It would not surprise me.. Science has discovered that when kids fall into freezing lakes their bodies go into a survival mode where the body protects internal organs by sacrificing blow flow to extremities (don ask me how that works, as I have no idea). This has allowed kids who fall into frozen lakes to be submerged for more than 30 plus minutes and still survive with little to no brain damage.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I question the extreme circumstances of the story. Not the mans story, just the media wanting to make it as sensational as possible. How did he get snow if he was trapped inside? He said he hadn't eaten since December, does that mean he had food and hadn't eaten since Dec 31st? Did he have ANY food in the car?

Was he actually trapped inside or just knew it was dangerous to try to find help? Was he out of gas? Stuck?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Im not sure i believe it yet...
just doesnt sound right..

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
He NEVER went into hibernation!!
edit on 19-2-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
He NEVER went into hibernation!!
edit on 19-2-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

According to one doctor that is exactly what may have happened.

Doctors at the Umea University Hospital said they would normally expect a person to survive without food for around four weeks, said the Vasterbotten Courier.

One doctor told the newspaper that the man might have survived so long by going into a kind of hibernation.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Come on seriously?

You would be down to skin and bones after 60 days with no food. Then if that's even believable then why didn't he freeze to death? Even in an enclosed vehicle at -22 degrees you don't have a chance!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

One doctor told the newspaper that the man might have survived so long by going into a kind of hibernation.
www.bbc.co.uk...

going into a kind of hibernation is not hibernation. And who is this 'one doctor' ?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Yeah.. That is what I am thinking. I mean I guess the snow could hold in some heat like an igloo, but also what about oxygen if it was completely buried would that be a factor? I am thinking he either had food, and a full tank for heat or there is something else going on. He was trapped in, how did he manage to get snow to eat/drink?

No phone or service?
edit on 19-2-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars
The way I feel during the winter months, it would not surprise me if we had hidden abilities, dormant "junk" dna that scientists don't know what it is used for, which is most of our dna, btw.

Somewhere among our dormant dna there may be instructions for us to hybernate, given the right set of circumstances.

You are correct-I remember reading that we share the genetic sequence responsible for hibernation with small mammals like squirrels-

Dr. Matthew Andrews and his research team have identified and mapped two genes for enzymes that play important roles in hibernation in ground squirrels,
and have discovered that these genes are nearly identical to ones found in nonhibernating mammals, including humans."

www.spaceref.com...

Article mentions how this discovery could lead to breakthrough's for long term space travel!

I hope the guy makes a full recovery,sounds like he is in a bad way at the moment.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by chrismicha77

Yeah.. That is what I am thinking. I mean I guess the snow could hold in some heat like an igloo, but also what about oxygen if it was completely buried would that be a factor? I am thinking he either had food, and a full tank for heat or there is something else going on. He was trapped in, how did he manage to get snow to eat/drink?

No phone or service?
edit on 19-2-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

They claim he never got out of the car. And since there are no footprints, they believe him. Like footprints couldn't have been covered in 2 months by fresh snow, wind etc...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Was he trapped? If he never got out of the car how did he eat snow? I mean when doors get frozen shut, generally the windows are frozen up.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by Hellas

Was he trapped? If he never got out of the car how did he eat snow? I mean when doors get frozen shut, generally the windows are frozen up.

Yes, that's what I read. He was trapped in his car the whole time and survived because he had a sleeping bag and the snow on the car worked like an Iglu trapping the heat inside. Now what he drank or ate, i don't know.

Could have been a suicide mission maybe, since I read the he owes a huge amount of money and that the location where he was found, is not even close to his home

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This will probably sound 'way out there', but the first thought that came to my mind when I read 'type of hibernation' was that people with Seasonal Affective Disorder can sleep through most of the winter. I know I could. I wonder if this had anything to do with this man being able to survive his situation? I know, it's way out there, but it just popped into my head.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

What I don't get.

For 2 months he could not find a way to "break" out of his own car ?

He's only .6 miles from a main road.

My subdivision I live in is 1 mile long.

People go on walks like that every day here.

All he had to do was find a way out...smash a window or something and just walk for like 30-40 minutes and he would have been found.

I would have MacGyvered my way out of there. No way I'm sitting there for 2 months straight. boredom would be unbearable.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join