It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Baby Mauled to Death by PIT BULL - Should they be Banned?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I would never put a dog down if they are not aggressive.
Should people be euthenized if they are bad people or aggressive.
It's just like saying all people named Bill need to be killed because of the actions of few bad Bills.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

All dogs are potentially dangerous. So should we ban all dogs?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This is Dogbite.org which is Not Anti Pit Bulls but studies dog bite statistics and gives facts on all dog breads that are known to bite.

www.dogsbite.org... --> Pit Bull FAQ

www.dogsbite.org... --> Bit Bull Myths

The Facts debunk the myth that only pit bulls bite who are abused or raised in bad homes. It's the Breed not the owner's fault. They tell why these dogs bite and by their genetics why once they do your not likely to have one cause only a little damage - why a pit bulls bites are worse than other dog making them way more dangerous.

Remember this site is Not Anti Pit Bull, but just gives known facts.

As for as why put them all down.. what else are you gonna do with them? Round em up, house and feed them till they are a ripe old age? Tax payers gonna pay for that? I don't think so. Perhaps relocation to someplace in the wild but you'd have to find a place on earth Pit Bulls are indigenous to .

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I am an animal control officer. I can tell you from experience that out of all of the dog bite calls I have had, not one was from a pit bull. The majority (98%) are from small breeds. As for the pittys in the area, they have to be the best trained dogs I have ever seen,
to their owners for proper training and ownership. As for the "go kill the pit bull lynch mob", write a letter to Cesar Milan, see what he says

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfharmonise
reply to post by CommandoJoe

beautiful dog.

Here's my lad.

Big, and scares people who look at him. But he does love kisses and hugs.

We take extra care because of the furore around some dogs (such as pit bulls). Rightly or wrongly, those attitudes exist, so we need to be mindful of peoples' preferences and fears and ensure we act accordingly to protect people and our dogs.

This pic made me smile, he looks very much like my huge mastiff boy
wonderful dogs.

I am an older person and I live alone except for my boy, who has been my constant 24/7 companion since the day he was born almost 9 years ago. We go everywhere together and I really can't imagine life without him. Although he is huge and physically powerful he is also quite calm and docile, a great big baby really lol. But he has no experience with children so I would never leave him alone with a child.

Look at my av, that's my big daft lad

My world revolves around him lol.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The way that the dog is raised has everything to do with the way the dog reacts to a given situation. I raised my sons around pit bulls and had no bad or even close incidents. The dogs were raised with my boys who loved and played with them all the time. I have a friend whose young son was killed by his neighbor's pits, many years ago.. To single out a specific breed and state that it is more deadlier is not based on any scientific findings that I know of. To single out a specific dog who has a bad disposition is different. People are to quick to jump on the breed when it is more often the breeder's fault. Pit bulls are no more violent and aggressive than Siberian Huskies. A new born died from being mauled by one just a day or two ago.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I have enjoyed many dog breeds including pits. I had the most gentle golden retriever when my kids were young, but I would not take any chance of letting her get too close to the baby. You simply cannot let your guard down with any dog around a baby. There is a great publication on a website I found called the National Canine Research Foundation that is entitled "The Pit Bull Placebo". It is free .pdf download. It addresses many facts and history of the pit bull and other breeds that were the "evil breeds" during various times in history. Very interesting and informative.

nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com...
edit on 19-2-2012 by TZela because: word change for clarification

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
no, but I would favor laws outlawing pitbulls in homes with anyone under 100 lbs or the age of 12

it's a shame, most of the dogs attack a family member, it's just stupid humans in the end

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TZela
I have enjoyed many dog breeds including pits. I had the most gentle golden retriever when my kids were young, but I would not take any chance of letting her get too close to the baby. You simply cannot let your guard down with any dog around a baby. There is a great publication on a website I found called the National Canine Research Foundation that is entitled "The Pit Bull Placebo". It is free .pdf download. It addresses many facts and history of the pit bull and other breeds that were the "evil breeds" during various times in history. Very interesting and informative.

nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com...
edit on 19-2-2012 by TZela because: word change for clarification

I really enjoyed that read - amazing that newfoundlands were the devil dogs of the 1800s.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Dog lovers care more for dogs than they do for people, so I say start charging owners with mandatory murder sentences and let's see what happens.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
There are people that should never have children. There are also people that should never own dogs. I get the impression that these people probably shouldn't have had either, hence the results that occurred. I mean, seriously, too many people own dogs, yet don't understand the proper ways to take care of and train the fellows.

You know how many times I walk by people's houses, and see their dogs flipping # by the fences? I never see those people walking their dogs. Those kinds of people make me wonder if all they wanted a dog for was to sit around the house, and be cuddly. Sure, within the family they may be, but if they're not socialized, they'll hate anyone else.

Dogs don't quite think like us. They have a pack mentality. So because of that, they need a pack leader. It's up to the owner to not only show them that they're pack leader, but make sure they keep that spot, especially with bigger dogs. I don't mean kick their asses or anything, but train them. Make them do tricks. Even simple ones, like sitting in one spot until you tell them to move. If they get up and move, grab them, walk them back, and make them sit. Show them that you are the pack leader.

Also, the bigger the dog, more often than not the more they need to be exercised. Lots of people don't even take their dogs for walks, and wonder why they're so full of energy. I know a family with Great Danes who don't get all the exercise they need, so if you try playing with them, it shows that they've got energy up the ying-yang. Some dogs need more than just walks, too, they need lots of exercise, and mental stimulation.

When I hear stories of pit bulls doing bad things, I really do believe it's the owners. The masters either never really showed that they were pack leaders, never really trained them, never really exercised them, either/or or all of the above. I know this, because I know people who own pit bulls. Good pit bulls. I even read one put up a facebook comment about how a lady pet his dog, and told him that he was such a well trained doggy. So he told her she pet a pit bull, and she almost flipped #. Because immediately after hearing the breed, the fear kicked in. But, he helped prove her fears wrong, and she admitted that. He was very proud.

I also know a guy in the town I grew up in with 2 pit bulls. Sweetest dogs ever. They're great with children. The guy has three. They even lived across the street from an elementary school. One of the dogs, Bob, loved children. I was told one time their 2nd child(4 at the time) opened the gate of the front yard, and walked into the street. Well, Bob went over there, and nudged the kid back into the yard, then barked at the front door until someone came out, and walked over to the gate to show them it needed closed again. Very friendly dogs.

But like most things, people will believe what they want. They'll see statistics, and say it's the breed, no more, no less. No different than the people who see kids do bad things, and say it's the video games, or movies they watch. Nobody ever wants to blame the owners/parents. Owner doesn't understand the responsibilities of raising a certain breed, dog does bad things, well, it's the breed that did it, not the owner.

I always wanted a husky. Ever since I was a child. But I will never own one. Why? Because I could not give it the exercise, and attention it would need to be a normal dog. I know this, because I researched it. If only other people would do the same.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ignant

Pomeranian Kills Infant

The idea that the breed of the dog is the important factor is ridiculous! The owners are irresponsible. That is that.

I did a speech on this a few years ago, and I don't have all my research handy, but some of the key points were.

1. When a Rottweiler or Pitbull, even mixed breed, is involved in an attack, their breed makes the headline 85% of the time. When it is any other breed, it only makes the headline 5% of the time.
2. The number one dog bite offenders were Dalmations, Chows, Chihuahaus, and other small breeds. Pitbulls were not even in the top 10.
3. When a death is involved, often times the breed was listed as Pitbull, but in reality the dogs were usually mixed breed, rarely was it a single animal, it was usually a pack of dogs of several breeds, and usually the dogs were abused, neglected, or abandoned.
4. Some people will purchase a dog like a Pitbull or Rottweiler and abuse it and intentionally turn it mean. The dog breed cannot be blamed for this, it is the owner doing this intentionally. They could do the same to any breed.
5. In reality, a tough dog, like a Pitbull, is very good for children, because they don't bite out of pain or fear. Kids can ride them, step on their feet, pull their ears, poke them in the eye, and the dog will not bite over it. This is very important feature in a family pet!

Now, before my post gets too long, I had a Pitbull for 15 years. He would never leave my kids side. He was like having another adult in the house. He guarded over them gently, but firmly! He alerted us if the kids were doing anything stupid, he slept by their cribs, he layed in the floor while they played. He let them trip over him fall on him, drop toys on him, pull up his jowels and look at his teeth, roll him over, color on him with markers, pull his tail, look in his ears, take his food away, share their popsicles, etc., etc., etc.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
how many post about the dog being banned not even knowing how to properly train a dog? heres the jist folks, YOU HAVE TO PUNISH PIT'S PHYSICALLY, no that does NOT mean hitting them out of passion or anger towards the dog, he is DANGEROUS, when you teach a child to use a knife to cut food or shoot a gun for the first time you are STRICT, the pit has the capability to kill, YOU must put out that fire with proper balance of love and punishment. yes it sucks, it sucks really bad, but the first few months THEY GET IT, and once they get it you never have to worry again, like i said that does not mean hitting an animal out of passion or aggression but stern punishment when any negative signs rear their head as a puppy and then plenty of love from everybody in the house will result in a loyal pit that wont even digest thoughts of hurting a person or another dog for that matter. i had a full grown pit around me from when i was born to age 5, nothing ever happened. and on top of the generations ive raised i have had not one incident my entire life. now if your not for hitting a dog to potentially save the dog and someone from getting hurt in the future than you should stay away from most large dogs as its not in your ability to handle a large a companion creature. its funny how all over the place punishing of dogs and children are demonized yet we are rampant with brats and dog attacks. go figure.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Necrobile
There are people that should never have children. There are also people that should never own dogs. I get the impression that these people probably shouldn't have had either.

A very intelligent comment.

Star!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
That truly is sad, but my sister has two pit bulls. They are the SWEETEST Creatures on Earth.

Ya raise a dog to be a Killer, it will be a Killer.

Ya raise a dog in Love, All it will know is Love

Funny how dogs are like People

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
everyone watch this video.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78
reply to post by reaxi0n

How old is the dog?Talk to me in a few years.I guarentee you by then he will.Not even years,probably a few months.

My pit is 10. She's never bit or nipped at anyone. I have an 8 month old daughter and she is very gentle with her. That being said, I'd never leave my daughter alone with any animal.... Not even a cat. So much for your "guarantee"

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
"Before pit bulls it was Rottweilers, before Rottweilers it was Dobermans, and before them German Shepherds. Each breed in it’s order were deemed too vicious and unpredictable to be around people. Each time people wanted laws to ban them. It is breathtakingly ironic that the spotlight has turned on the breed once the symbol of our country and our national babysitter."

Pit Bulls: The Nanny Dog

NightCrawler, If you're not going to even be open to the possibility that the side you're debating is not true, there's no point in trying to talk with you.

You haven't cited any personal cases except to say that you've had a bad experience with Pit Bulls.

Anyone that thinks that dogsbite.org is "impartial" needs to read this piece at nopitbullbans.com.

Most of the BS statistics come from there, and deserve to stay there because they're one of the ultimate FUD sites.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Bad Dog

Y'know, I think it's definitely the breed in this video, it's not the owner. :

.......aaaaaaaaand I can't quite figure out how to get the video to show. That'll teach me not to laugh at others that have the problem. lol
edit on 19-2-2012 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-2-2012 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ignant

Typically in the US German Shepards injure and maim more people per year than pits.I dog groomed for 15 years and have come across many aggressive dogs in that time.I've seen more aggressive cocker spaniels than any other breed.
I've seen both nice and aggressive pits during that time and have to say IT IS THE OWNERS FAULT. You have to look at how they are raised by the owners and also ANY dog should be watched around a newborn baby until you have a really good idea of how the dog is taking the newcomer.

I remember as a child I was told about the couple across the street from us.They had a German Shepard that was they're baby.When the wife got pregnant they prepared for the big day. All was well until one afternoon after the baby was born, she heard it screaming and went to check on it. The dog had mauled its face and now turned on the wife! She ended up on the kitchen counters trying to hold the dog off and get over to the wall telephone.This is back in the 60's. She called her husband for help he came rushing home and the dog now attacked him as well. He loaded up his gun and had to kill the dog to stop it.

Puppy mill dogs can be dangerous and unpredictable, how a puppy gets raised can cause aggression,and most of all you never leave a child with a dog unattended.Common sense needs to apply here.We ARE supposed to be smarter than the animals we keep as pets after all.

Pit Bulls are just mixes of other breeds such as american staffordshire terriers and others.These dogs were bred and developed to attack bulls of all things.It became a 'sport' and led to the development of more and more aggressive dogs.This is a human problem once again due to people not having enough sense to realize that not all breeds are suitable in a pet environment.Many of the larger more aggressive breeds don't belong in any pet home.When I went to dog shows and talked to the breeders they told me outright that those breeds(german shepards,chows,bullmastifs,mastifs,akitas etc) are well known to challenge their owners. They said its WHEN not if they will challenge you. And you better be up to that challenge or you will never be able to trust the dog again.Therefore people need to really start thinking about what they are letting live in their homes.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join