It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Baby Mauled to Death by PIT BULL - Should they be Banned?

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

I believe that any dog over 30 lbs should not be allowed in city limits. But that is to protect the dogs. If you remove pit bulls, they go back to sheperds, or akitas. just have weight limit and that will eliminate any dog fighting whatsoever. Unless they get desperate and start using terriers.Though a lot of people will defend their right to own a dog. But I don't care about their rights to own a dog, I want the dogs to stop being abused. And there aren't many cities that can give big breeds the room they need anyways.but that is jmo.

Other then that I think they should be strictly permitted. Any fighting breed should be permitted. Because these kinds of dogs need professional dog owners. Especially dogs like Akitas, who really need owners who know what they are doing and how to socialize that breed. It keeps dogs from getting into the hands of stupid owners. It will also keep illegal or really bad breeding in check.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Again, personal experiences is not indicative of the problem overall. We had a pit who was spoiled rotten and given all the love in the world. (some humans could hope to have it this good) and the dog would growl and snap.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
so, to all those anti pit people, judging from this it would seem the chihuahua needs to be 'banned,' and the big mean pit is calm as can be. oh nooo big scary dog that kills people, wow...any dog can hurt someone, raise it right and you will have no worries.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SGTSECRET
so, to all those anti pit people, judging from this it would seem the chihuahua needs to be 'banned,' and the big mean pit is calm as can be. oh nooo big scary dog that kills people, wow...any dog can hurt someone, raise it right and you will have no worries.

Judging by that statement, it's patently clear you're kinda... well... dumb. Yan'kee, right?

A pitbull's lock jaw can well exceed 300psi of pressure and the dogs need to be shot with a firearm multiple times if enraged. The only viable way to release its bite (sans a firearm) is by using a wedge-shaped object to ram into the side of the dog's mouth and hammer in to force it open.

I'll take a cute, angsty chihuahua over a grotesque, man's-best-friend-until-the-day-it-eats-your-baby pitbull any day of the week. Thanks.

Originally posted by Brandon88
If you wanna see a violent dog why don't you go check out the German Shepards with police training should they be banned to?

How many constabulary-trained German shepherds wantonly attack, maim and kill people versus 'domesticated' pitbulls?

*doesn't hold breath for response*
edit on 19-2-2012 by Sablicious because: moar

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Sablicious

you seem to be confused. the OP is about how evil pit bulls are and how they need to be possibly banned. therefore people such as myself are on here showing how they are not so bad. pay attention before you result to name calling.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Again, personal experiences is not indicative of the problem overall. We had a pit who was spoiled rotten and given all the love in the world. (some humans could hope to have it this good) and the dog would growl and snap.

Okay... but it isn't about love. That's the point, you can love the dog to death, but if the dog isn't properly trained, then it will snap, or do things that are unexpected. They need to know boundaries and authority, its not as simple as just loving them.

Going to add this:

"Approximately 92% of fatal dog attacks involved male dogs, 94% of which were not neutered." This is probably a much stronger correlation than any single breed, yet I don't hear the same clarion call to require neutering for all dog adoptions (though we strongly encouraged it).

Well since you're taking the "plural of anecdote is data" route on this one, here's my contribution. I have loved every single pit bull I've ever met except two that were clearly raised #ty and were aggressive towards other dogs. The breed is bred to please, meaning they'll do anything and everything to garner praise. If that means rolling over on their back so that master says "I wuv you" in a high pitched voice, they'll do that. If that means attacking and killing something so that master says "good boy," it means that too. If master is a dip# and doesn't train or socialize them properly, it means they'll do whatever comes naturally, which may be face biting and jugular slashing like any vicious dog (ever met an aggressive German shepherd? 10x scary).

It is hands down my favorite breed, but because Americans are by and large dip# dog owners, it means that by and large American pit bulls are #ty dogs.

I've been a daily reader of yours for ten years, and this post about pitbulls is the first time that I've been moved to write to you. You are going to get a lot of overheated rhetoric about these dogs on both sides so I wanted to share my experience as a pitbull owner, father and attorney. I have owned several of these dogs, all from shelters, and the one that I currently have was taken away from her previous owner due to cruel treatment. These are the things that I have found to be true:

1) These are great family dogs. They love kids and are suckers for any kind of positive attention. They have a high pain tolerance and generally are not bothered by kids pulling their ears, etc. These dogs are great cuddlers.

2) They can be dog aggressive. Dogs that were bred for generations to fight other dogs cannot always turn this off. If dogs fight, the pit is usually going to win and is capable of killing the other dog. I personally have found that neutered/spayed dogs properly socialized are rarely dog aggressive but owners need to be able to read their dog's body language to head off a potential fight. I currently have a large female pitbull that goes to doggy daycare, the dogpark, and resides with another mixed breed female with no problem. I had one before her for 12 years that would fight any dog she came into contact with but loved people. She stayed indoors and on a leash when out and about.

3) Dog aggression is not human aggression. Dogs that were bred for the pit were also bred not to display human aggression. There is someone in the pit with the dogs when they fight. Pitbulls were never bred to be guard dogs or protection and are not very good at either. If you want a dog to protect your home or family from human intruders, you are much better served by a German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Bullmastiff, Akita, etc. I would also note that all of these dogs are much larger than pitbulls.

4) Unfortunately a lot of #heads own pitbulls. They like the dog's reputation for aggressiveness and do things to foster it.

5) A properly socialized pitbull will be the best dog you own. They are extremely affectionate, they will be your kid's best friend, are extremely eager to please, and loyal to a fault. The shelters are full of these wonderful dogs that are going to be put down. These dogs aren't for everybody. They are active, need exercise, and need to be properly socialized. If you aren't willing to do these things, don't get a pit - you are just perpetuating a problem. Actually, you probably shouldn't get a dog period.

Link is here: andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com...
edit on 19-2-2012 by andersensrm because: ETA

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Yet another Baby attacked by Cat - Should they be Banned?

============================================================

The loyalty of a pitbull

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I've. Been reading this thread for most of today. Off and on.

I should be dead. Straight up dead. Almost choked to death while almost raped at 13.
Mother on crack rages, tryinto beat me, because I didn't get her amcdouble at 14 (I was a mother at this age)
almost killed point blank with a 22.... at 12 yrs old.
imagine cute 12-14 yrs old girl walking through very very bad neighbourhoods, after midnight, local thugs/criminals knowing. Her mother, knowing she won't be missed.

I'm alive because a Whitehead, black eyed, brindled., pit bull named gypsy, saved my life.

More than once.

Fast forward, I'm 30. Waited until I had my last baby. Got a pit. Jojo. I trust him with my kids lives!!

He knows he plays to ruff, so he don't play with my little miss.
But I teach my little kids respect for dogs too. No. Don't
MeSS with jojo when h is eating!!! Even though he will walk away!

I let him greet the children that Come over, play for a few, then outside he goes!

I have decided from this thread, I will get him fixed, a.d only adopt or rescue pits...

Much like children In the Foster system ...

I have young kids. Jojo doesn't even lick that much lol, but he does tame food the kiddos offer!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Time to call in the dog whisperer.

On a serious note... Some people shouldn't own pitbulls. That fact cannot be argued with.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
www.fatalpitbullattacks.com...

fact

U.S. fatal pit bull attacks have surpassed 180 since 1998 the last year the CDC studied fatal dog attack data.

In the 20-year period of the CDC study, pit bulls averaged 3.8 deaths per year.

During a recent 7-year period (2005 to 2011), they averaged 18.1 per year, up roughly 475%.

PitBull attacks, mauls owner while DRIVING

PitBull KILLS 13-day old INFANT

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars
Yet another Baby attacked by Cat - Should they be Banned?

notice the (yet another) cat attacked the babies

while the (yet another) pitbull killed the babies...

big difference, eh?

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Banned? No.

Strict regulations and check-ups on people that own pets that can kill a human-being and have been known to do so? Yes.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Perhaps this baby girl will be licked to death....

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

A pitbull's lock jaw can well exceed 300psi of pressure and the dogs need to be shot with a firearm multiple times if enraged. The only viable way to release its bite (sans a firearm) is by using a wedge-shaped object to ram into the side of the dog's mouth and hammer in to force it open.

One thing I like about ATS? People post without thought - post based on MYTH. So, why do I like this?

It gives open minded thinkers the opportunity to RIGHT the IGNORANCE of MYTHS by passing on TRUTH.

Some Facts & Myths About Pit Bulls*

* Pit bulls do not have locking jaws.

* They do not bite differently than other large breeds.

* They are not more aggressive than other breeds (source: American Temperament Test Society).

In fact - Rottweilers have a stronger psi bite than the APBT. See dog bite VIDEO here

Take the opportunity to dispel many of the common myths: Pit bulls do not have locking jaws, do night bite differently than other large breeds, do not “suddenly snap...”

Like all prejudicial thinking, judging a dog simply by how it looks only leads to negative actions and reactions.

Understanding that certain myths created about particular breeds can lead to innocent dogs losing their lives is something that, happily, many thousands of people have been able to grasp since the Worldwide web has been able to educate.
link

Here's some more info...

The structure and function of the APBT’s jaws is the same as any other dog. They do not have a “locking mechanism” in their jaws and they do not have an “enzyme” that prevents the release of a bite.
link

The most common myth about 'pit bull' dogs is that their jobs lock. This is untrue.

Breeds like the American Pit Bull Terrier do have very powerful jaws, and this is where this myth comes from. However, the jaw does not 'lock' - and you cannot get the jaw to 'lock' through abusive actions such as breaking the jaw.

There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of "locking mechanism" unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier."

The 'pit bull' has powerful jaws, but they are not alone in this. This is yet another myth - that 'pit bulls' are more dangerous because they have the most powerful bite. Most large breeds and cross breeds have a very strong bite, and even smaller dogs can inflict a bite powerful enough to kill. Any dogs can be dangerous in the hands or an irresponsible, negligent or abusive owner.
dogwatch

peace
edit on 20-2-2012 by silo13 because: crop exsesive ex

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by guitarist
reply to post by lordbayfin

For Pit Bulls like Doberman , German Shepherds and Rotty's that were all over breed in the past and shelters were full of them. just like they may have more Pit Bulls at times today.

When i walk into a ASPCA,I see all breeds of dogs. don't know which shelters you have been to.

I'd blame the owner. before the dog. was the dog on a leash ? if he or she was walking it how was the dog raised. there is a lot of factors to any dogs behavior.

Do you own a Pit or have you ever ?

I have along with other breeds and they are great dogs.

And for Pit Bulls being called black, brown, red (liver nose) and blue by their noses, big deal its a category.

When i pick up a news paper or turn the TV or go online, i see humans killing, maiming, raping torturing and doing other unspeakable things to other humans and their own children, maybe we should be banned since we are real lousy examples for our own children our animals or anything else for that matter.

Bravo!!! Well stated my friend...you just about explained at least the extent of owner responsibility. Now get on the backs of those Greedy A$$ inbreeding breeders, they need their @$$es kicked and jailed for neglect!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ignant

I don't think ban them, but be more strict as to who can have them in their household.
And shame on those parents for having that pitbull around their child.

I don't care if it was for a ''few seconds''. You don't leave your baby with an animal like that around.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by rival

even chows and rott's and dobies.

Rotts have a much stronger bite than pit bulls. Dobermans were bread to attack humans. Pit Bulls were bred to be very tolerant of humans so the handlers could well... handle them.

You strike me as someone who has at least done some research into the powerful bites of a majestic breed doomed to extinction if the ignorant folks have their way. Nonetheless, Pits are hard headed and goal oriented, meaning PROTECT by all means necessary.

A beautiful breed drowned by wonder some, fanatical, ignorant humans...sad indeed. Go to page 27 to see my comments.

I don't usually agree with what you say, but finally, some peaceful space. Thank You Domo for being educated and understanding.

edit on 2/20/12 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Well don't you just rock!!
I am in Sac as well and my "old girl" we just put down after 16 years of immaculate care and devotion to our family.
She was a chinese sharpei but we are looking for a pit in about 2 months, (after we get back from vacation.
We will be having my wifes cousin and his boy staying at our house to take care of teh doggies and do not want to get a pup and have it feel abandoned.
I will get in touch with CHAKO when I do however.

Now more onto topic so as to not have my post removed.
It seems CHAKO is one of those organizations that pays attention to stats as to keep the ignorance down on doggie facts..
Knowledge will keep our buddies from being banned.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Call me what you need to, but i dont belive that pets and babys/young children mix in any way.

Then again im not crazy about owning pets in the first place.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

You said,

A pitbull's lock jaw

I think we can stop just right there!! the rest of your post is negated by just this.
I love to point out an obvious.
Pits do not have a "locking jaw"!
Do some real research and come back next week.
We care not to hear propaganda but facts.

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join