It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Baby Mauled to Death by PIT BULL - Should they be Banned?

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
People do not realize that dogs, like people each have their own personality.

I have been graced with some of the most wonderful, loving and gentle dogs.

The one that recently passed, my Odie, put his head on my ex daughter in laws pregnant tummy.

Once my grand daughter was born, and she would visit (we never put her down for a second without supervision), Odie treated her like a princess. He truly loved her. When she would sleep over, Odie would lay first by her crib and later by her bed.

I had a talk with Odie about our new baby coming, how we must love and protect her. He was smart, he understood. Clearly he understood.

The picture below is their last picture together. When my grand daughter came over she asked to see Odie's urn - she hugged it to her and said, "Odie, I will always love you and hope to see you again one day."

Below, A wonderful day of playing tag, hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill and just a glorious day of happiness.

I don't know about pit bulls...........................but nothing beats a Pointer.

We also had a Pug and a 92 pound Shepard Husky that were gentle as gentle can be.

BUT..........................ANYONE leaving a baby alone with a dog, and accessible is nuts.

You watch and observe very carefully and do not ever leave that baby alone without supervision.

Pit Bulls do tend to be now, more aggressive, but it's all (I think) how you raise them.

Please, adopt, spay and neuter..............tens of millions of companion animals need homes.

And if you have a Pit Bull, just watch them as you would any dog.........do not leave a baby alone with them.

Duh..........stupid stupid stupid stupid. Some people clearly should not be reproducing.
edit on 19-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

Would be nice if you used more than just the anti pit christian organization.

You should look at other links people have provided.

All in all your kind should be eliminated.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Pit Bulls were bred to be aggressive.

Some are tame throughout their lives. But irregardless of how the owner raises
or treats them, some pits will revert back to their aggressive feral breeding.

An attacking pit bull can be lethal to almost any weak, slow, person.

Those are just facts.

But instead of banning them, owners should be held responsible.

Personally, I don't trust pits. I never have. I don't care what the owner says about the
dog, or its personality. They are the only dog I fear, and they are the only breed that
makes me uneasy. It is because of their massive;y strong jaw and tenacious bite.
any other breed I feel physically superior too, even chows and rott's and dobies.
But to defend against a pit...you need a weapon.

If any owned dog attacks a person, the owner should be responsible for the crime.
In this case it should be manslaughter, charge both parents. If it's a bite, assault.with deadly
weapon. If the dog is instructed to attack, then aggravated felony assault.with deadly
weapon. If the dog is instructed resulting in death, premeditated murder.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This is definitely a subject that is to be treaded lightly. Most people feel that they are a horrible breed bc the media makes them out to be this way. I myself am an owner and of course have a biased opinion. I do feel that the breed itself has it in them but its all about how they are raised. You have to understand that they have the capability as do any other creature that was breed to do certain things but its all in what you make it. It's like owning a snake, you know there is a chance something could go wrong but its the risk you take by owning one. You take a risk by having a pitbull. Knowing and understanding your dog is key. You have to be able to gauge your dogs reactions before they happen. I can tell the minute mines demeanor is anything other than pleasant or welcoming. I know the minute she's tense.

These dogs were also raised to be nanny dogs...

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

I had a pit bull as a pet, there not bad dogs. In fact as far as dogs go there more touchy feelly then other dogs.

I feel sorry for these parents because there in a world of hurt right now. I know my pit bull was about as friendly as most dogs and it would not hurt a fly, even with the cats it got along like cats and dogs get along that is. They avoided each-other but tolerated each-other, and one of my cats even got attacked by a dog once so she really dont like dogs, but they got along as long as there was space.

Should people keep them as pets? It all depends on the person, and what people got to remember is that yes pit bulls are a bit more prone to certain things due to generations of nature and breeding which is a strong thing and if a dog was bread to fight, its instinct is to fight and attack. But off course it all depending on the circumstances, training, breed, and how it is treated and raised even the dogs persona.

People need to understand that these dogs were bread to fight, and to this day people are fighting these dogs to the death. And I personally would not leave a new born alone with a chiwawa much less a pit bull, even my pit bull who would In my opinion never do that to a new born, my old dog it was a sweetheart but in the end it was just an animal. And I would not trust my dog even if I think there is a 100% chance that nothing will happen. Its just basic common sense.

Nature and breeding is a stronger thing by far in every animal and even humans just react according to there instincts and breeding and social engineering. Why people think dogs would be different is beyond me.

Lets just put it like this only some people should have pit bulls as pets, but no one should ever trust there pets no matter what they are fully. Be they a German Shepherd, lab, chewawa or pit bull. It does not matter in the end there all animals, different animals but animals none the less. It is a heavy price these parents paid to learn a basic lesson about animals and pets.

At one time I remember taking my pit bull to one of those dog parks with a whole bunch of other dogs so it can run around and sniff things. Did this when i could so she could get familiar with other dogs, but one time I remember this one woman had a lab or something and her dog and mine were chasing each-other around and playing.

After a bit the playing turned a bit rough, her dog was trying to jump on my dog and biting at her heals, and my dog just kind of tried to ignore it and get away from her dog, which to her dog it was probably just normal playing behavior for all I knew. After a time I stooped it, and whistled to move on, which she did. Anyways the lady comes over and says to me something along the lines of "your dog is not very friendly is she" and in my mind I am thinking what should I tell this lady so she gets the point that her dog was moments away from crossing the line and ending up being thrown around like a rag doll. Which is not really her fault at all since she is just not used to certain things.

So I just kind of stared at her and say'd, "ya she is a pit bull and shes not very good at playing" and moved on. In fact if I was not there I can guarantee there would be a dog fight, my presence is basically what kept my dog from thinking the other dog was attacking her and responding in kind.

Basically what I am saying once again since it seems need be repeated, is that dogs especially pit bulls are exactly what they are, just animals and besides some specific breeding not all that different then any other animals that are kept as pets, and some people should never be allowed to own pit bulls for those specific facts that pit bulls are and were breed for. But all pets no matter what should be watched in anything they do, especially in possible volatile circumstances and situations.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lordbayfin

For Pit Bulls like Doberman , German Shepherds and Rotty's that were all over breed in the past and shelters were full of them. just like they may have more Pit Bulls at times today.

When i walk into a ASPCA,I see all breeds of dogs. don't know which shelters you have been to.

I'd blame the owner. before the dog. was the dog on a leash ? if he or she was walking it how was the dog raised. there is a lot of factors to any dogs behavior.

Do you own a Pit or have you ever ?

I have along with other breeds and they are great dogs.

And for Pit Bulls being called black, brown, red (liver nose) and blue by their noses, big deal its a category.

When i pick up a news paper or turn the TV or go online, i see humans killing, maiming, raping torturing and doing other unspeakable things to other humans and their own children, maybe we should be banned since we are real lousy examples for our own children our animals or anything else for that matter.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

even chows and rott's and dobies.

Rotts have a much stronger bite than pit bulls. Dobermans were bread to attack humans. Pit Bulls were bred to be very tolerant of humans so the handlers could well... handle them.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Yet another infant killed to death by a human. Should they be banned?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by rival

even chows and rott's and dobies.

Rotts have a much stronger bite than pit bulls. Dobermans were bread to attack humans. Pit Bulls were bred to be very tolerant of humans so the handlers could well... handle them.

Exactly. Doberman's were originally bred by a tax collector to protect him from thieves. Pits were bred to hunt big animals, and were also great Nannys back in the day.

It's all about how you raise them. Just like with children. If you raise your kid to be destructive and hateful, that's what he/she will be. Raise a dog to be destructive and hateful, it'll be the same. Raise your kid/dog the opposite, they will be loving, caring individuals.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

As stated before, each dog has their own personality.

Very sweet video, made my day...................no, lumping together one breed.

Children must be kept at a safe distance from any animal and at a correct age taught respect in dealing with said companion animal.

Each dog is a unique personality and must be treated as such.

edit on 19-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Believer101

That's right they were called the nanny dog back in the day. I trust dobies and rotts with family kids more than most breeds out there. I have been bit 3 times by 3 different rotties so I'm a little wary of the breed but man do they love their family. Same with dobies. Dobies are quite a bit more intelligent than pits or rotties though.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by lordbayfin

I'm sorry, but why don't you do some reading before you make statements like you did? Pit Bulls are a group of dogs that contain several specific breeds. Two popular ones are the American Pit Bull Terrier, and the American Staffordshire Terrier. The United Kennel Club recognizes the APBT, and the American Kennel Club recognizes the Staffordshire Terrier.

As far as Pits being worthless, there are numerous accounts of them saving lives, working in law enforcement, etc. Three APBTs were the dogs that searched for the remains of the Challenger astronauts.
Pit Bull Heroes

Pit Bull Heroes Hall of Fame

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

Excellent post. I have 2 Pits in our house and 3 kids. My kids have climbed, chewed on , pulled and we have never had a problem. My dogs are apart of our family and they are the best protection for my family. Pit bulls are very loveing if taught. What drives these dogs is the overwhelming desire to please there owners.
Ban Pitt Bulls, No lets Ban stupid people from breeding.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by rivalSome are tame throughout their lives. But irregardless of how the owner raises
or treats them, some pits will revert back to their aggressive feral breeding.

/Bull#

An attacking pit bull can be lethal to almost any weak, slow, person.

Let's ban them then. They're the reason my insurance costs so damn much anyway.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The ignorance in the OP is astronomical.

The pet is a reflection of the owners energies towards it. I give my pittbull unconditional love, patience, and care. Never raising my voice, hitting, or acting in violence. My pittbull is extremely friendly to anyone and everyone even my little rat and my kitten as well as anyone who he's never met before - which is why I don't think a thief would have a problem robbing the house, heck my dog would probably help him.

The stigma on pittbulls is biased.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11118
The ignorance in the OP is astronomical.

The pet is a reflection of the owners energies towards it. I give my pittbull unconditional love, patience, and care. Never raising my voice, hitting, or acting in violence. My pittbull is extremely friendly to anyone and everyone even my little rat and my kitten as well as anyone who he's never met before - which is why I don't think a thief would have a problem robbing the house, heck my dog would probably help him.

The stigma on pittbulls is biased.

Yep, but people don't care about that. They suffer from "motivated reasoning". They type it into google, and the first thing that comes up, is an anti pit bull website talking about how they're evil and killers and such. People don't care to look at what the statistics mean, or how they're set up, or if they're even accurate. If its on tv, or the internet it must be true! Then they think that its an actual solution to go off and just kill them all, when the reason they did it in the first place(the statistic) would then change, and the next dog would be up for the kill. Just goes to show, how ignorant we still are.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sablicious
These dogs are bred for fighting and are genetically predisposed to do so. The term 'pitbull' comes from their original intended purpose of dragging boar, bull-like, into pits for hunting.

Only fretful, insecure people own these animals. Ugly dogs for ugly people.

That takes the cake for most ignorant, biased post I've seen here in a long while. I'm quite content with my life and am a decent person, as are all of my family (pit owners).

The dog was bred first to bait bulls and bears. When baiting bulls was deemed inhumane, ratting (a sport where a number of rats were placed in a pit for a specified time with the dog) and dog fighting became more popular. The APBT was used in both sports, and its prevalence in being put in pits with rats led to "pit" being added to its name.
With time, the dogs became more commonly domesticated due to their loyalty, loving and gentle nature with their owners. In America, farmers and ranchers used their APBTs for protection, as catch dogs for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt, and to drive livestock. The dog was used during World War I and World War II as a way of delivering messages on the battlefield.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

True true. I trust my Demon more than I do any other dog out there, really. And they are the #3 most intelligent breeds, Doberman's. Which I find hilarious considering my Dobie can be an idiot a majority of the time.
And I'm sorry to hear you've been bitten by a Rottie. Love those breeds too.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I have been following and posting on this thread all day now. There are quite few ignorant people who need to look at things deeper than just one sidedly.
I wrote an argumentative essay for college on Breed Specific Legislation. It has both sides of the argument. I will post it in the AM when I wake up from pc (using mobile web right now).
Will include all sources.
Check back. It may be a thread of its own.

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join