It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Baby Mauled to Death by PIT BULL - Should they be Banned?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I like how you're trying to stereotype Pit bulls as killing machines as opposed to other breeds that have the EXACT same instincts when they feel threatened. Any dog that goes into fight mode is going to fight it out until someone loses or the fight is broken up.We categorize the threat of each breed by it's size because the smaller it is, the less dangerous it looks to us humans. Opposite goes for bigger dogs. Any dog that sees red is going for blood. Any. It's not the size or breed of the dog, it's the mentality that makes them dangerous. You say any other dog is easier to control in a dog fight. Try to control a Dalmnation, Shiba Inu, Lab, Tibetan Mastiff, St. Bernard in a fight. Take your pick. It's dangerous to try to control ANY dog in a dog fight. Especially if you don't know what the hell you're doing.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
They should keep them at home if they are going to keep it . In a large enclosed fenced area , that the owners should have to pay.

If they love the dogs so much let them move out int he country , where they can get large property and big fense , to let other like minded dog owners come over and play.

They should never be allowed to leave the compounds of that fense . They should do all their socializing , excerise , training within the compounds of their property .

Its not really a hard task to do . But most owners don't care enough to do that much for their killing breeds. Or they are too cheap to do that.

If the dog escapes , the owners have no right to get mad when it catches a bullet , for public safety of course.

Ok, seems sensible.
I would defend myself, family or someone else from ANY animal
attacking.
Would you be ok with them leaving
the property on a muzzle only?
edit on 19-2-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

Your link is disgusting. Some of those stories are tragic and terrible.

But, think of the flipside of your argument. I used to take my pitbull out often, and he was always on a leash when he should be, but often other dogs, and cats would come up and be aggressive towards him, and I would have to reign him in, and hold on, while fending off the other animal, because I know if he attacked the other animal, he would be the one in the headline.

So, I wonder how many of those stories in your link was the pitbull actually on a leash, or in its own yard, and the cat or pug or horse or whatever else was the one breaking the law?

I can tell you it happened to me dozens of times. I've even had Japanese Akitas and Rottweilers and German Shephards come out and attack my Pitbull, when my Pitbull was the one on a leash, and minding its own business, and the other dog was the aggressive one.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

"PItbulls are not bred to kill people. They were bred to catch hogs, and bulls, and they are bred to fight each other, but in fact, even among fighting dog breeders a single incidence of aggression toward a human is euthanized and the bloodline stopped! "

Neither are lions , tigers , and bears .. but it happens sometimes right ? hence why we dont' keep them as pets, because fighting them off is just as hard as a pitbull.

Also, by your logic, we could look at statistics of crime, and statistics of incarceration and violence, and we could justify euthanizing entire races of people. Why not kill all Genghis Khans relatives, which is most of Asia? Why not kill all Germans, or all Black People, or all Americans or Irish? We are known for violence and aggression and cantankerous personalities, and we are a danger to others.

i wonder why those people don't do what genghis khan did ? Maybe because they have a conscience to know the difference between right and wrong ?

I wonder how many of those people go into RED mode like pit bulls do when its attack time ? I wonder how many humans were specficaly breed to fight each other ?

We are known for violence and agreession but we do have the common sense , to know the difference instead of pure animal instincts thats just attack attack kill...

Now what happens when people do go crazy in public and attack violently like pit bulls?

they get exterminated , incarserated and dealt with. But those same people could be triggered by drugs , booze, drama etc.

not stepping on his paw

Statistics show the most dangerous place in the world for a pregnant woman is at home with the one she loves. So why not kill or incarcerate all expecting fathers?

again , this is byproduct of drama , booze , drugs , mental issues . The husband i'm sure wasn't breed to kill pregnant women was he ?

your logic is tainted with comparison of the humans to dogs mentality . Far to many enviromental factors to consider...

You cannot wipe out an entire breed of dogs, because of a few unfortunate incidences that likely had many other factors involved other than race.

no need to wipe them out , either make your self a fenced backyard or never let them out ,

or take them off to an island and let the species deal with it self.
edit on 19-2-2012 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

edit on 19-2-2012 by GaboVarfang because: Posted when half asleep so it didn't say what I meant

link   

No you don't, there is no need to be patronizing. You don't like my replies, and I don't like yours. Lets be honest about it. I think you are a close minded bigot that is too ignorant to listen to the reasoning of people that obviously know a lot more than you do about dogs. You think I am some kind of idiot that loves dogs that kill people. Its cool, I know we aren't going to come to any agreement.

In my opinion, the difference is I have life experience that shows me that things aren't always what they appear to be. I don't believe you have this experience, I doubt you have ever been attacked by a pit bull or know anyone that has. I could be wrong though, who knows.

link   
You folks who are apologists for your beloved pit bulls need to be aware of the statistics. In a major longitudinal study covering 1982 to 2006, nearly 24 years, it clearly shows that dangerous dogs such as "pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings."

In this study a cocker spaniel was responsible for one dog bite for the entire 24 years.

Pit bull terriers, on the other hand, were responsible for 1,110, including 104 deaths. When are you pit bull apologists going to wake up and realize your macho tough dogs are dangerous to the rest of the population? Those interested in researching this issue should see www.dogbitelaw.com... and familiarize yourselves with the statistics. Nobody is 'singling out' pit bulls unfairly. They simply cause more damage. To defend these dogs in the face of this evidence is illogical and irresponsible. I just hope pit bull owners carry a lot of insurance.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

If you put a baby in a horse stable, the baby is likely to be trampled to death. Should we ban horses?

I guess if we're a society based on fear, we might as well ban everything and live in a bubble. Don't let a small child mess with a dog who isn't trained to be treated that way. Ban stupid parents and bad dog trainers instead.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
You folks who are apologists for your beloved pit bulls need to be aware of the statistics. In a major longitudinal study covering 1982 to 2006, nearly 24 years, it clearly shows that dangerous dogs such as "pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings."

In this study a cocker spaniel was responsible for one dog bite for the entire 24 years.

Pit bull terriers, on the other hand, were responsible for 1,110, including 104 deaths. When are you pit bull apologists going to wake up and realize your macho tough dogs are dangerous to the rest of the population? Those interested in researching this issue should see www.dogbitelaw.com... and familiarize yourselves with the statistics. Nobody is 'singling out' pit bulls unfairly. They simply cause more damage. To defend these dogs in the face of this evidence is illogical and irresponsible. I just hope pit bull owners carry a lot of insurance.

I have been bit by more cocker spaniels and dalmatians than I have pit bulls. What does that mean do you think?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dadgad

Originally posted by dadgad

Originally posted by ignant

31 people were killed in dog attacks in the USA in 2011.

22 of them were exclusively by pit bulls, the other nine were among other various breeds.

Should pitbulls be allowed as pets whether with or without "permits"?

What if someone's pit bull gets away while your walking your baby one day in his/her carriage, and it mauls your baby to death maybe in as little as one lethal bite to neck before you can do anything, how will you feel and how will justice be served?

Every year, more than 100,000 Americans are victims of gun violence.

Should we ban them?

www.lcav.org...

If guns start floating around and shooting people , yes we should ban them . Now can you show me how many guns have minds of their own ? and are fully aware of what they are doing?

Last time i checked , dogs had a conscience and are just going into RED mode.

How many guns go into RED mode on their own ?

I will be right with ya to ban them. till then save your baseless comparisons to pitbull owners ,

as we know reason and logic is not their cup of tea

omg you are right, guns have no mind of their own. Still they kill 30.000 Americans annually. Maybe we should ban humans? Would that work?

when those guns are misused and shot without justification do they not get banned from society by being locked up ?

But first you compared it to the guns , now your going on to the humans. Did you see how silly your original comparison was ? This is why your stuck now twiddling your thumbs wondering how to reply next to try and save face.

lol, I am afraid you missed my sense of humor. I wasn't being that serious at all, you didn't happen to notice that, right? (of course this to you is evidence of me trying to safe my face, but what can I do).

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

This is completely false. If you think taking care of any animals (except cats maybe) translates to pampering them that just shows how much you don't know.

atleast include what i was referring to the earliar post about the pampering , before you bark . "false"

Animals attitudes will change just the same as humans when they are in different environments,

Really ? shocking..

It has nothing to do with "instinct", what makes an animal aggressive is being mistreated or threatened. Some of the most loyal dogs were previously abused.

it has plenty to do with instinct. What do you think they rely on ? Why do you think their are alpha dogs ?

when an animal reacts to a situation it is going of its instincts . Like stepping on the paw of a dog , and he attacks?

now what if you stepped on my hand? will i go on instinct and stick you with a pencil? Or will i be like oh its okay it was just an accident he didn't meant it and let you go on your merry little way?

thats the difference between us and the animals , no matter how much you think its not about instincts,

i'll show you many animal trainers who have learned the hard way , that its about instinct , and no matter how much you train them. They all will have a point when triggered to snap go into red mode and eat your face.

Other dogs are easier to fight off .

but the pittys and their like minded dogs , it takes alot more , to fight that killing machine.

That's my problem with them. They are a different breed of violence.

The only reason you are afraid of pit bulls is because that is the only breed you hear about. Every time a pit bull attacks someone it is widely published. Other breeds and animals attack people all the time, you don't hear about it because it doesn't get people like you riled up with panties in a bunch.

yea the jack russels don't ever seem to make the news, when they eat little babies and maul their owners ... dunno why

Enjoy your witch hunt.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I'm sorry, but you're logic is the one flawed! Your entire post basically agreed with me. No, husbands don't always kill their pregnant wives, and chinese people don't always kill someone when they are angry and not every black man ends up in jail, and not all Pitbulls ever attack anyone.

IN fact, the occurrences of all those things are the extremely rare exception, and there are always other factors involved. So, if you are going to use your logic in one area, and if that is a valid approach, then you should be able to apply it to all the areas, but this approach obviously doesn't work, because your logic is FLAWED!

Dog Bite Law
4.5 million dog bites per year.

66 Deaths attributed to Pitbulls in 19 years of study.

Did you know....

1.) About 40 people (children) per year die by drowning in 5-gallon water pails. A person, during their lifetime, is 16 times more likely to drown in a 5-gallon water pail than to be killed by a Pit Bull.

2.) Approximately 50 children in the US are killed every year by their cribs - 25 times the number of children and adults killed by Pit Bulls.

3.) Approximately 150 people are killed every year by falling coconuts. Therefore, you are more than 60 TIMES MORE LIKELY to be killed by a PALM TREE than a Pit Bull.

4.) Each year, 350 people drown in their bathtubs. You are 151 times more likely to be killed by your bathtub than you are by a Pit Bull.

5) Every year, more than 2,000 children in the U.S. are killed by their parents or guardians either through abuse or neglect. A child is more than 800 times more likely to be killed by their caretaker than by a Pit Bull.

6) It can be estimated that for every Pit Bull who kills, there are 10.5 MILLION that DON'T!

Source

So, for every Pitbull that kills, there are 10.5 million that don't. Compare that with human males, and you will find the percentage of killers to regular men is much higher! We should outlaw human males long before we outlaw Pitbulls!!

edit on 19-2-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Pit Bull Law

It is illegal in Miami-Dade County to own or keep American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, or any other dog that substantially conforms to any of these breeds' characteristics. For more information, view the Miami-Dade County ordinance, Chapter 5, Sec. 5-17.

There is a $500 fine for acquiring or keeping a pit bull dog and court action to force the removal of the animal from Miami-Dade County.

www.miamidade.gov...

They are already banned in miami-dade county florida.
Which I find odd since,
Burmese pythons are not yet.
Couple Gets Manslaughter Sentence After Pet Python Kills Baby
www.insideedition.com...

How you could classify a huge snake as a pet
is beyond me..
edit on 19-2-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
While you guys sit here and bash at man best friend I would like to remind people than the owner of the dog sets the precedence of the mindset of the animal...

We had a loving Rottweiler named Lexi

She was a beautiful pure rotty that was kept inside and treated like a member of the household.

This dog was a BABY.

She was all LOVE.

Granted she did seem intimidating, she would lick you to death before she would bite you.

When me and the misses would argue or mess around she would get in between us and try to stop the disturbance.

One time we took her out to the local park and there were other owners with their dogs. We were walking her on a choker collar with solid leather leash with extra handle closer to collar for more control if needed. Choker was put on just for control but she never tested it because she was a very obedient dog.

Well there was this lady that had this little ankle biter unleashed that she was carrying around. Well little Missy decided it was a good idea to let her little princess just do whatever and she put it down to roam. We were walking through and the little dog decides to bolt for my step daughter and Lexi decided to test out the choker.

The lady comes over all disheveled and says those types of dogs should not be allowed out in public...

Then my misses speak up and says " Is there not a leash law and you should be in control of your animal. The leash law is there not only to protect you but ALSO protect YOUR dog"

I had full control of Lexi via leash but she was definitely in protect mode.

Point is Yes they will protect their owners but their owners should be aware that they need to show ALPHA characteristics to these animals.

And the owner, not the dog, is who should be responsible.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

leave the property with muzzles? hell yea , anything to increase the public safety from these vicious animals. But i know many dog owners , bring out these dogs to instinct fear and when you put a muzzle on them , it takes away the fear from it .

Others i'm sure will say my dog doesn't deserve to have a muzzle on , he is "harm less"

But yes i would be okay with killer dogs having muzzles on . But some real secure ones , not cheap dollar store ones .

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GaboVarfang

If you don't know your dog or dog behavior, then yes, dogs can seem to flip for no reason. Dogs give off warning signs and let you know when he doesn't want you around and is about to attack. Pay attention to their behavior, the way they act.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
It comes down to most humans are too stupid to see that dogs see kids as animals or as another dog to compete with for affection or in a territorial sense. So morons bring their babies home and expect their normally loving dog who thinks as a dog - not like you do.
No dog should ever be left alone with a child-ever.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
i own a pit and a chihauhua, never had any issues. they get along fine and actually sleep next to eachother. he is very gentle with the smaller dog and has never bit anyone. it's usually people that have never given pit bulls a chance who call for 'banning' them and such. sad really.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Pit bull terriers, on the other hand, were responsible for 1,110, including 104 deaths. When are you pit bull apologists going to wake up and realize your macho tough dogs are dangerous to the rest of the population? Those interested in researching this issue should see www.dogbitelaw.com... and familiarize yourselves with the statistics. Nobody is 'singling out' pit bulls unfairly. They simply cause more damage. To defend these dogs in the face of this evidence is illogical and irresponsible. I just hope pit bull owners carry a lot of insurance

The sole reason for those statistics is because PEOPLE breed and cage them for fighting purposes. Look past your statistics into what is really happening here, come on now. I've never known anyone to cage a cocker spaniel all its life and fight it with other dogs.

Dogs are what you make of them, you get any dog as a puppy and treat it right and it will never attack anyone unless someone tries to harm you. That being said, I believe people should be the guardians of their dogs, not the other way around. Not everyone wants a pit bull because they look tough, some people have an affinity for the breed because they are being demonized by other ignorant people.

As far as people getting large dogs (or any large animal), I don't think anyone should get an animal they cannot "master". As in, you must be able to dominate the animal physically and verbally without causing it harm. You teach the dog to think twice before attacking anything. If you teach it right, before the dog does something it will look at you for confirmation. Same concept as basic military training, be stern in an instructive manner and soon the dog will "get it", the dog will probably become your best friend.
edit on 19-2-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by WienelPistor

Oh yeah I have learned how to spot those now that I work with dogs, I mostly meant that some dogs will be perfectly ok and then bam. But I have found that that is typically when they are having a bad day. Sometimes dogs have bad days too, where they just do not want to be bothered. You are totally right though. I do not have a dog of my own, because I cannot afford one, so I look after other peoples dogs, but they definately give off signs like you said. so in a sense I guess its not for no reason.

My opinion now that I am waking up and hopefully making more since, is that the only reason pits might have a statistically higher kill count is because of their strength. When they bite they do not let go. However, if you are talking about agressiveness of breeds in general, pitpulls are really not the most agressive of dogs I have worked with.
If you have a dog, that is capable of harming someone else just keep an eye on them, use a leash as others have said. I do not think a dog breed should be blamed, however, dogs as individuals can be, and the owners can be. it is dependent on the situation. If you provoke a dog expect to be attacked. If you leave a dog with a very small child unsupervised, that is the owners fault. If the dog Not The Breed, in particular is agressive then take extra precustions.
I don't know I think I am rambling now

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join