It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Baby Mauled to Death by PIT BULL - Should they be Banned?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
some interesting info about pitbulls www.pbrc.net...

this part Pit Bull identification is even less accurate than for other breeds like Dalmatians, Siberian Huskies, etc. As stated above, 'pit bull' is not a breed. It’s a term used to group together a minimum of three different breeds of dog. In fact, there are 25+ breeds that look like a 'pit bull' and are commonly identified incorrectly.

The true number of bites isn’t known as many dog bites are not reported.

The number of dogs, by breed, in any given area is unknown. Rarely, are all dogs in an area properly licensed with the city/county. Therefore, there is no accurate way to determine statistics when all the factors are unknown or inaccurate. Often, reports don’t consider multiple incidents by the same dog.

People need to be responsible pet owners, pets need to be prepared for the new baby, you would think it would be common sense.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

You are the ignorant delusional one here.
Why don't you educate yourself about how to treat dogs and how they help humans every day in ways you never could. Do you know how many dogs have saved their owners, saved lost victims, found bombs etc I could go on and on. Just because people are too stupid about how to treat dogs, you blame the dogs? Really?
Can you smell cancer. THEY CAN.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

Pit bulls are generally a part of bully breeds, though not all bulls act like pit bulls. If that makes any sense. It is more of a classification.

Pit bulls were specifically bred for hunting so they hang on till they bring a large animal down. then they were used in a sport called baiting where they were put against large animals like bears that they hung onto till the animal died.

Then that was banned and they were then used for illegal dog fighting.

They are called pit bulls because they were bred to grab a bull by the nose until they bring it to the ground and hold it there. hhhmmm

"[pit bulls] inflict more serious wounds than other breeds. They tend to attack the deep muscles, to hold on, to shake, and to cause ripping of tissues. Pit bull attacks were compared to shark attacks."11

dogbites.org

The only other dogs that bite and shake to this degree are dogs trained by the police and military.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

You don't know much about Pit Bulls, do you?
Train the dog to be aggressive, it'll bite someone.
Train the dog to be a sweetheart, and that's what it will be.

Dobermans were considered "dangerous" breeds, yet mine in the photo above has never done anything vicious in his entire life. Even when play fighting with him, he only puts his mouth around you, never bites.
Should he be banned too because he's a Doberman?
No.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Most pitbull owners I know have trained their pitbull well. I have a friend who owns a pitbull and a boxer. Guess which one is more aggressive. If you guessed the pitbull, you're wrong. Their pitbull is the most submissive dog I have ever met.

But when it comes to dog breeds, the best breed I've seen or heard of is a German Shepard. My wife used to breed them. She would tell me stories about how the female Shepards she had were the most protective dogs.

I honestly believe that it's all in how the dog is raised. If the owner doesn't give the dog the right upbringing, the dog is sure to become aggressive and attack people. But I also agree that people should NOT leave a baby alone with any animal. Not even a hamster.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

My Pit is 5 years old. He's never bitten a human or any animal. He lives, at liberty, around cats, chickens, ducks, horses, and a goat. He's the only dog of mine that I trust to be unleashed in the unfenced part of my yard.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The permits should include a background check and a 4-6 week training and evaluation course to determine if potential pit-bull owners are suitable to take care of them. The problem with pits is their reputation as a fighter dog combined with a high desire to own one amongst lower I.Q. individuals who either belongs in a gang or gets themselves into fights often.

Not saying all pit bull owners are bad folk, just that the pit bull is a favored dog amongst violent individuals.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
you americans are hilarious - banning a dog but still fight to keep yiur guns....

how about a certificat (fom a dog trainer) + extra taxes + muzzle (and harsh fines)....

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

I couldn't have said it better myself. I've known lots of TRUE pit's in my life. Every one of them as gentile as a lamb. Over the years I've had my share of pits as well, I live on a farm, raise livestock. I can remember many occasions where i would have a calf, foal and lamb who i had to bottle feed and raise myself, And during that time I've never had a dog except a German short hair who ever bothered the little ones. When my dogs are happily playing and living amongst the other farm animals Large and small without issues i find it hard to believe its the "BREEDS" fault. Sasha, one of my late female Pits would have helped you carry away property if you were a bugler, unless you literally beat her i don't think she would have done anything near this caliber, even than i have my doubts. Could it be the way i raised them, the positive vibrations that they lived in? I don't know, but anyone who knows me and knew those dogs, would beg to differ on the fact they are a vicious breed.

and PS the 4 pit bulls Ive had throughout my life here on the farm all wore natural ears and tails. no docking and croppings.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This is silly. It's the old nature versus nurture argument. It's a combo of both in truth.

Why ban pit bulls? I will admit they scare me, but that's because most of the people who own them around here have no business owning a dog. (My husband has a Newfoundland/Labrador mix and he scares the hell out of me too. I'm just scared of big dogs in general.) My mother had a Daushound that was more likely to bite then some of the pit bulls i've met (and I mean it, that dog was like 10 pounds of fury). From what I've read small dogs actually bite more than big dogs. Since small dogs rarely cause serious injury it goes unreported.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason Paul

Used to be dobermans, then German shepards, then rotweillers so where does it stop?
Remember when people got rid of all those pesky cats..........
The Black Plague sound familiar?
Humans are the low IQ ones in this, not the dogs.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012

You are the ignorant delusional one here.
Why don't you educate yourself about how to treat dogs and how they help humans every day in ways you never could. Do you know how many dogs have saved their owners, saved lost victims, found bombs etc I could go on and on. Just because people are too stupid about how to treat dogs, you blame the dogs? Really?
Can you smell cancer. THEY CAN.

i don't have a problem with other dogs , just the pit bull breeds. Anything along that line needs to go . Or else not allowed in public places.

Why is it to much to ask to keep the vicious killing machines locked up in your house?

I'm a tax payer , i don't want to see your killing dogs in public. Other dogs that can be kicked and runs away im fine with . But the animals that just don't let go untill you bring in some serious force should not be allowed in public places.

if you do , don't blame me when it catches a bullet to the head , because it went wild.

I understand the other dogs and their useful purposes , but their are better dogs suited for those things. Pit bulls are suited to kill very violently .

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Wow, are there some ignorant people on here.

It's usually quite easy to spot ignorance. Its most frequent form is: I can't make sense of this.. BAN IT!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

reply to post by AGWskeptic

You may want to check your facts a little closer. All bites reported by the news are labeled pitbulls attacks even when there is absolutely no proof. Do you think they do DNA tests after an attack to confirm they are pits? NO.

blogs.denverpost.com...
Not about pits, but about the lying media
btoellner.typepad.com...
nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com...

My citation was the CDC in Atlanta, not the media.

Keep trying though, this is fun.

Just to be clear, I do not support any type of ban, just stiff penalties for owners when they attack someone.
edit on 19-2-2012 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Yet another case where Nancy Grace profits from getting people stirred up by her 1/2 baked, fear laden, attack segments - should she be banned?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
i have a pitbull who licks babys on the face. but would i ever leave him in a room alone with a baby? or a small child? or anyone who felt uncomfortable around him? No..,because he's insane? Yes, but not in a bad way. Just gets excited and can't control himself unless im there to calm him down lol. Humans are more dangerous and if you tried to take my dog away from me you'd probably be leaving with lead in your skull

edit- maybe we should ban black people for having high prison rates? maybe we should ban whites because they're more likely to be serial killers? unintuitive logic is bad for you.
edit on 19-2-2012 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
"The Siberian husky that mauled a newborn boy to death in the southern Alberta city of Airdrie was part of the family's dogsled business, CBC News has learned, and had never caused problems before.

The family owns a number of Siberian huskies and operates a supply business for dogsledders.They also participate in dog races in both Alberta and B.C."

CBC

It happens, not often enough for us to ban a full breed. Often these dogs are raised to bond with someone and will become overly aggressive to protect them. You would be having the same problems with Jack Russells if they were 40-50 pounds bigger.

It isn't the dog but the owner. They allow the dog to bond with them and don't put the dogs below the pack. They allow the dogs to become pack leaders and the dogs become over-protective.

I think there shouldn't be a ban of pit-bulls or any other powerful breed. There should be an educational course taken, at the expense of the purchaser.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

I will,
www.defendingdog.com...
www.understand-a-bull.com...
And that's just a couple.
If you were to do your research better, you'd see that the CDC even admits that the study is flawed.
Your turn.

I believe in stiff huge penalties. 10,000$ fines for people that let their dogs get loose. People in general are too uneducated on dogs, and should face punishment for being careless.
edit on 19-2-2012 by sickofitall2012 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join