It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Baby Mauled to Death by PIT BULL - Should they be Banned?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

71% of the pit bull fatalities have occurred in the past 10 years; 42% in the past four years; 24% in the past two years.

n the 3-year period from 2006 to 2008, pit bull type dogs killed 52 Americans and accounted for 59% of all fatal attacks. Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 73% of these deaths.

Pit Bulls don't have different jaws or even more pressure then other dogs. In fact I think the Rottie has a much higher psi in the bite. The problems with pitts is they bite deep and then shake, just like a shark.

i've seen many dogs bite and shake

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Thats a good point, everyone takes gun safty super serious but dog safty not even slightly as close.

I guess if guns had fluffy coats and looked cute from time to time, we would be less cautious =/

edit on 19-2-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freenrgy2
While any dog can bite at any time, there are certain breed that this instinct is more prone to happen. Pit Bulls, Mastiffs, German Shepherds, Chows are some of the more aggressive breeds and I don't think any of these belong in a home with small children.

I've heard it far too many times from people who own these animals, "well MY dog would never bite anyone." And that may very well be the case, but I tell them that they are playing Russian roulette and they will lose badly if their dog every hurt them or anyone else.

Unfortunately, many of the people I know own these dogs because they are good "guard" dogs. They have them specifically because of their aggressive nature.

I think pit bulls should not be bred.

The number one biter is the pit breeds, Black labs are a distant number 2 but I suspect that's only because they are the most popular dog in America, there are so many of them

Pit bull attacks by percentage of ownership are way above any other breeds, you can't argue with facts. Pit bulls are prone to bite, and as I found out firsthand, once they clamp it takes a lot to get them to release.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
In my experience The Rottweiler is a lot more sketchy and dangerous that a pittbull. You can never tell what a Rott is thinking or about to do. A Pitt will show some warnings before it bites.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by wlord

And then they let go. As opposed to locking on and doing it till their victim is dead, whatever it may be. Which is why people think that pits have locking jaws. (they don't)

When dog fighting was still publicly accepted and a sport, when the pitt came out, it was immediately banned from fighting...in the 1800s because of this biting technique. So what does that tell you?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Raised my 6 kids around many dogs, most of them pits.
Deaths 0
Attacks 0
I currently have 2 in my avatar and are looking for 2 more to round out our pack.
Now to say all of those years and my dogs getting their tails yanked and their ears pulled and they never went postal.
My dogs are stock!
No additions no subtractions all ears and tails intact.
My dogs are loved and they know and return the same.
To let you know how I feel about my dogs, I place them well above your kids and spouse.
Bad owners are always the problem.
I am not the Alpha dog but I am the Alpha male and the pack leader.
My dogs know this and never have questioned that.
This subject is and has been a dead horse.
Chhuahuas are never taught to fight but I'm sure there are many more chihuahua attacks than pit attacks.
In short, you can have my pits, when your cold dead hands can pry them from me.
Had to quote reply as this post sums up my thought also. The BEST dog , in a lifetime of them being part of our family history was a pinknosed pit/ full blood dingo. By ALL exectations a half "wild" dog. The dog who was thought of as a hero in out neighborhood when he chased the AIREDALE who just bit a kid out of the area and was known a 3base coach on every ball team WE coached. Larry would fetch fouls and he watched over his "pack" with genuine love.
He profoundly influenced raising my children and who they are due to an example of love and loyalty no human, even we parents, can match. Larry died @ 14 and his passing was like losing our partner in parenting. Both my wife and myself aknowlege the formative role this "animal" had on the character of the Humans we raised. The kids are now grown and we have a rescue Staffie named Booch. Like all working breeds they need a "job" so Booch has been encouraged pull my lawn cart like a donkey. His 90+ lb muscled form usually draws most of the neighbor kids for a ride on lawn days. Now after this being a yrs long event even the die hard "haters" have come to me and said what an"exception" my dog was. You will not know how pleasing it is to say " No, what you read is the exception"

APB

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

Originally posted by Freenrgy2
While any dog can bite at any time, there are certain breed that this instinct is more prone to happen. Pit Bulls, Mastiffs, German Shepherds, Chows are some of the more aggressive breeds and I don't think any of these belong in a home with small children.

I've heard it far too many times from people who own these animals, "well MY dog would never bite anyone." And that may very well be the case, but I tell them that they are playing Russian roulette and they will lose badly if their dog every hurt them or anyone else.

Unfortunately, many of the people I know own these dogs because they are good "guard" dogs. They have them specifically because of their aggressive nature.

I think pit bulls should not be bred.

Complete

The number one biter is the pit breeds, Black labs are a distant number 2 but I suspect that's only because they are the most popular dog in America, there are so many of them

Pit bull attacks by percentage of ownership are way above any other breeds, you can't argue with facts. Pit bulls are prone to bite, and as I found out firsthand, once they clamp it takes a lot to get them to release.

Complete BS! Most bites attributed to Pit Bulls are not Pit Bull! And you provided no proof of your alleged facts. Just like every other idiot here attacking Pits hysterically...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

Doberman's are supposedly "aggressive by nature" yet mine wouldn't harm a fly.
It's how you raise the dog, not the dog itself.

That's my Dobie. Sweetest dog in the world. My Mini Border Collie is more vicious than he is.
Again, it's how you raise the dog, not the dog itself.

edit on 19/2/2012 by Believer101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Yes I know black labs have a bad rep but everyone with a brain knows that is BS. Its discrimination at its best lol.

Look at the majority of Pittbull owners, there is your answer on why they bite. They are great for hunting pigs. FWI if your alone just punch it in the head as hard as you can or kick it in the jaw before it gets a hold of you. If your not alone the other person just has to lift the dogs back legs off the ground and he will let go.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

reply to post by wlord

And then they let go. As opposed to locking on and doing it till their victim is dead, whatever it may be. Which is why people think that pits have locking jaws. (they don't)

When dog fighting was still publicly accepted and a sport, when the pitt came out, it was immediately banned from fighting...in the 1800s because of this biting technique. So what does that tell you?

I'd like to see your source which says that pit bulls lock on and shake till their victim is dead while all other dogs bite and let go.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

yeah that's all the breeds fault..
had nothing to do with the idiot owner leaving his dog chained up all the time.

i find this argument laughable, mainly cause there's always been a "dangerous" breed that shouldn't be allowed. my beloved rottweilers used to fall into this skewed thinking. now i think most would admit they're one of the most loyal family dogs to own.

any dog can be good or bad depending on their owner (kinda like kids eh) the pitbull has a bad name cause it is the "thugs" choice of dog. the dog losers get to look cool. they never train them well, and are not responsible owners.. that's why you heard about bad news.
if a poodle was a thugs choice.. there'd be rampant calls for banning of that breed too.

every responsible family owned pitbull i've met have been some of the biggest sucks i've seen.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
the dog owner is to blame too.
if you bring a dog up as a gaurd dog.
then Bad things will happen to and one new
if you leave the dog with them.

pit bulls are Not a famly dog.
you DONT have children around them.
same as you dont have a tiger as a pet.

some people Do have big cats as pets.
do you think they are so stupid as to Leave them with a babie?
The dog owner should be IN JAIL!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Our dogs are not allowed upstairs, they're not allowed on furniture.

They are not allowed to be in the same room as us when we eat.

We frequently take food and bones and toys from them, and encourage strangers to do this also.

We reinforce the pack pecking order - it's important to ensure they know they're not above humans to stop them from thinking they can nip and bite.

Sometimes some dog owners forget that their dogs are dogs.

Whilst i dont want to see any dog euthanised or banned, i would like to see dog registration and people researching dogs before they buy.

i didnt realise how tough and different raising a mastiff would be compared to a collie. i was naive.

link   
Why should they be banned? Don't let your children near your pets until they reach a certain age....and even then, realize that potentially at any time your dog COULD bite you.

You just don't know, you take that chance.

link   
Anybody who says the breed should be banned is extremely clueless and has never owned one. My family has owned plenty of pitbulls and raised them around our children without problems.

It all comes down to how your dog is raised and trained. No different than children. Some owners and parents therefore, are irresponsible and shouldn't be allowed to have either. Some breeds are cross/inbred strictly for fighting and are totally twisted while other breeds are just as game but totally tolerant, docile and loving pets.

It all comes down to the lack of responsability and negligence on behalf of the owner. Would you leave a loaded gun around?

Almost 500,000 deaths a year are contributed to cigarette smoking, yet people continue smoke. The government does nothing about it because they are an accomplice to this crime by collecting the taxes on it. One of the most addicting drugs on the planet.

Fact is HUMANS as a species like to point fingers and blame EVERYTHING on everyone else for their own faults. Humanity is at fault for thinking they can control the world when in fact they can't control the very essence of the decisions that determine the outcome of their own lives.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The thing about dogs is, if you don't train them, they behave opposite of your expectations. My parents adopted a Rottweiler-mastiff 6 months before I was born. They put him through professional training and he never hurt a human. The vet before our current one told my parents they were horrible for letting our Choppy dog near their children. Chopper, our dog, never hurt me or my brother and would treat us like his young. The only time he ever hurt an animal was when he got into a fight with a groundhog. And he felt bad about it.

You can ban a breed of dogs because a lot of them commit crimes. That's just as bad as saying that we need to crack down on black people because a lot of them commit crimes. Many white people commit crimes and many other dog breeds kill people. It's a matter of training.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

OK, glad to educate you.

During 1997 and 1998, at least 27 people died of dog bite attacks (18 in 1997 and 9 in 1998). At least 25 breeds of dogs were involved in 238 human dog bite related fatalities during the past 20 years. Pit bulls and rottweilers were involved in over half of these fatalities and from 1997 to 1998 were involved in 67%.

www.dogsbite.org...

Do you honestly think 67% of the dogs out there are pits of some kind?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Most bite victims are children. But part of it is that kids confuse dogs, they look like the owners but are the size of animals. (hahahaha) The first things that parents need to do is establish the pecking order and that dog knows the child is above them.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

reply to post by wlord

Yes, they will. I have been around hundreds hunting and that's why they are used. They bite and do not let go unless they have to.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join