Originally posted by anthonygillespie2012
reply to post by tauristercus
I would like to try this myself just for the fun thanks for the info, are there any dangers involved making them? I have never created anything like this before but really want to give it a try as long as nothing poisonous kills me or something blows up. I noticed your wearing gloves.edit on 19-2-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)
In the tutorial, I made sure that I stressed the inherent dangers in using nitric acid. Obviously something strong enough to dissolve metals is not to be treated lightly. So whenever I'm doing my processing, especially around the acid, I make sure I'm wearing those disposable plastic gloves. Nitric doesn't have much effect on plastic and so any accidental spillages usually are of no concern at all ... just take the gloves off and put on a new pair.
As I also mentioned, I've been doing this for quite a few years and not had a single incident worth mentioning.
Also, as nitric dissolves silver and copper, it produces small quantities of that really NASTY brown nitrogen dioxide gas. ALWAYS ... ALWAYS ... ALWAYS do the processing outside in the open air where the gas will easily disperse.
Keep the above in mind and there's no reason that there should be any problems. The entire process is quite safe as long as you exercise care and caution.
No bangs or explosions will ever happen