It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The following are 20 signs you might be a typical American worker….

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Came across this article on www.blacklistednews.com... and thought it interesting enough to bring over to ATS. Sorry, no UFO's, Reptilians, Buildings on Mars or anything interesting like that...

Just some cold hard facts mixed in with a little humor to keep it palatable.

Once upon a time, anyone that was relatively competent and willing to work hard could go out and easily get a job that would enable that person to financially support a family. Unfortunately, that is simply no longer true anymore.

For anyone thinking this is only the US, it's not. It is happening Globally. Look at what's happening all over Europe for example. That is just a sign of what's coming to the American shores. When will it arrive? When the people finally wake up and realize that the only way to get back what they have lost is to take it to the streets. And I don't mean a few involved in "Occupy" wherever. A few just ain't going to make anyone sit up and take notice.

It can be absolutely soul crushing to go all the way through school getting good grades, spend a ton of money on an education, and then work for 8 bucks an hour doing meaningless work for some predator corporation that simply does not care about how talented you are.

According to a recent poll conducted by Generation Opportunity, huge numbers of Americans in the 18 to 29 year old age bracket are delaying major life decisions due to the poor economy….

-44% are delaying buying a home

-28% are delaying saving for retirement

-27% are delaying paying off student loans or other debt

-27% are delaying going back to school or getting more education

-23% are delaying starting a family

-18% are delaying getting married

Yup, happening all over the World as well. Canada has it's share of these predator corporations raping the souls of the workers and let's also not forget what happens in places like China for example. Who are the predator corporations over there? Among many of them are American corporations taking advantage of a cheap labor force that has no established rights and protections from corporate abuse.

And don't get me started on how pi$$ed I get when I am trying to make a change to my cell bill and I have to go through "Bobby" or "Billy" from India.

But again, these people are only trying to make a living and are forced to take jobs they are over qualified for. (Many, not all) All at the whims of the predator corporations. (I love this term)

Nope, not just America.

The following are 20 signs you might be a typical American worker….

#1 If you are working three jobs and you still don’t have enough money at the end of the month, you might be a typical American worker.

#2 If your job involves asking the question “Would you like fries with that?”, you might be a typical American worker.

#3 If you shop at the dollar store because Wal-Mart is too expensive, you might be a typical American worker.

#4 If your job requires you to wear a smock, a brightly colored polo shirt orlots of “flair”, you might be a typical American worker.

#5 If people are constantly asking you where the restroom is while you are at work, you might be a typical American worker.

#6 If your employer hires extra part-time workers in order to avoid giving anyone full-time hours, you might be a typical American worker.

#7 If you are required to watch a mindless “training video” after being hired, you might be a typical American worker.

#8 If the company you work for is owned by someone on the other side of the world, you might be a typical American worker.

#9 If a trained seal could do your job and you feel like your expensive education is going to waste, you might be at typical American worker.

#10 If you don’t have any health insurance at all, you might be a typical American worker. Only about 25 percent of all part-time workers in the United States receive employee benefits such as health insurance or paid sick leave.

#11 If your car is older than your kids are, you might be a typical American worker.

#12 If you can’t afford to buy the things that you are selling to the public, you might be a typical American worker.

#13 If the balances on your credit cards are larger than your bank accounts are, you might be a typical American worker.

#14 If going to Burger King is your idea of “fine dining”, then you might be a typical American worker.

#15 If it costs more to fill up your car with gas than you will make at your job today, you might be a typical American worker. The price of gasoline has increased by 83 percent since Barack Obama first took office, and the average cost of a gallon of gas in the United States is now up to $3.52.

#16 If you eat your cereal with a fork so that you can save milk, you might be a typical American worker.

#17 If your electricity bill keeps going up but your paycheck never does, you might be a typical American worker.

#18 If it feels like you are losing an organ every time you pay for health insurance each month, you might be a typical American worker.

#19 If you feel like your employer is constantly tempted to replace you with someone younger and cheaper, then you might be a typical American worker.

#20 If you are so poor that you cannot even afford to pay attention, you might be a typical American worker.

In closing, I just wanted to say that although the focus always seems to be on the US, it is becoming clearer every day that these 20 points are not just localized to Americans. It is happening Globally.

Peace

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The saddest part was people commenting "LOL" and "lmao so true" in the articles comments section.

People like that are the problem.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
The saddest part was people commenting "LOL" and "lmao so true" in the articles comments section.

I blame the generation that put us into debt in the first place, people commenting lol or lmao so true is because they're unable to do anything about it, it doesn't make them the problem.
edit on 18-2-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Absolutely.

These are the people contributing to the problem by dismissing it instead of taking a minute to look around to see the truth.

IT IS happening. And not just in the US but everywhere. These are the facts and those that want to dismiss it are the ones that will wake up one day...on the streets.

In order to prepare, you have to wake up.

Peace

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

What do you expect someone to do after they see the truth revolt and get arrested? What is your definition of truth and what should they do?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by anthonygillespie2012

I blame the generation that put us into debt in the first place, people commenting lol or lmao so true is because they're unable to do anything about it, it doesn't make them the problem.

Every generation blames the past generation for the current problems. It is a select few that are to blame and not an entire generation. Just as it is now with a select few of the younger generation doing the same.

I'm 50. I work hard. I pay bills. I try to save. I did not make decisions that put the current generation in any hardships.

Now if the current generation wants to blame someone else then I suggest getting out of the house. Turn off the video games. Throw the cell phone in the lake and go out to make a difference instead of standing on a street corner and blaming passers by.

IMO

Peace

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by anthonygillespie2012
reply to post by jude11

What do you expect someone to do after they see the truth revolt and get arrested? What is your definition of truth and what should they do?

I think you are in another thread. Good question tho.

But if you want my answer to this one, look to the past. If everyone that tried to make change just gave up after failing once, where would we be?

Peace

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Just hope I never become typical. Just recently I woke up and realized that the assistants that work right next to me run out of food before their next paycheck! They are being taken advantage of. 4 year science degree advertised as beneficial to the job, but not required. To be trained into a highly skilled professional job. And the college professionals are running to apply. Only to get paid not much more money than Walmart. Sure they have great benefits. But can't afford to contribute to the retirement plan or buy the health insurance. Neither cost very much either. Employee perks such as Xmas bonues have bitten the dust.

Meanwhile managers are getting perks for saving money. Such as $80,000 vehicles. Oh, and it is a non profit corp. that siphons money off to its "for profit" sector. With wealthy CEO's and property purchases and improvements galore etc... An extremely wealthy "non profit" that benefits throught the enslavement of others desperate for a job. If the economy turns around, they are screwed. And I think they prefer that the economy stays bad for their own benefit. This example alone is likely why the economy is not improving. Bargain basement employees....

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

All I have to say is that maybe I'm blessed to be in Texas. I've met few people with these problems here.

Texas Economy is doing pretty well compared to other states

I'm lucky to be be the minority with no debt other than a few grand in student loans and a mortgage. I do frequently donate stuff. Does that count?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I related with a few of those points, but not because of my job.

Wait...what was I talking about? I got distracted...ah, #20.

reply to post by fictitious

That's why I'm trying to move back. I'm originally from the Dallas area, not residing in San Diego. It would be SO much better to get back to a state that a two bedroom apartment will cost about $500 less than what I pay for it now.
edit on 2/18/12 by Echo3Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
Just hope I never become typical. Just recently I woke up and realized that the assistants that work right next to me run out of food before their next paycheck! They are being taken advantage of. 4 year science degree advertised as beneficial to the job, but not required. To be trained into a highly skilled professional job. And the college professionals are running to apply. Only to get paid not much more money than Walmart. Sure they have great benefits. But can't afford to contribute to the retirement plan or buy the health insurance. Neither cost very much either. Employee perks such as Xmas bonues have bitten the dust.

Meanwhile managers are getting perks for saving money. Such as $80,000 vehicles. Oh, and it is a non profit corp. that siphons money off to its "for profit" sector. With wealthy CEO's and property purchases and improvements galore etc... An extremely wealthy "non profit" that benefits throught the enslavement of others desperate for a job. If the economy turns around, they are screwed. And I think they prefer that the economy stays bad for their own benefit. This example alone is likely why the economy is not improving. Bargain basement employees....

"Bargain Basement Employees" is exactly where we are all heading.

I know it's too simple to say that in order to avoid this scenario, one should start their own business. But many don't have the skill or funds to do so.

As those corporations get larger, they need more "Bargain Basement Employees" to make their billions and as always, look to China as the prime example of assembly line labor for the rich.

Man I hate this.

Peace

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Why hire one fulltime worker, with decent pay, and decent benefits, when you can hire 4 part time workers for a fraction of the price? I sometimes wish I didn't have a conscience and could be that way, coulda made a killing back in NY hiring illegals...... But is the profit worth it? I don't think so.....

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by fictitious

No sorry, lama's with cute hairstyles do not count.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by fictitious
reply to post by jude11

I do frequently donate stuff. Does that count?

Helping others less fortunate ALWAYS counts IMO.

I can't count the number of times that I have given away a loaf of bread from my bakery to someone I know it might make a difference to that day.

It cost me a little labor and a dollar to make but goes a long way for some.

Keep it up because that is what we really need to hold onto as fellow human beings.

Peace

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by anthonygillespie2012

Dont generalise like thaT ye may hurt a lot of feelings of some of us old people that tried to stop the vietnam war, and have been harping like a thousand ron pauls and george carlins for decades....no freakin body listened then, and you arent listening now or you wouldnt make such broad brush strokes..... good grief!

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I don't trust the hobos anymore no offense but im affraid of them, I gave a guy a 40 bill once and he asked for more I said okay and gave him an extra 5. This was when I was walking from a friends house back home so the guy followed me secretly afterwards and as i went inside the house he bashed my car window front to back. A black eraser snake was dead hanging on the door handle when I opened it. I immediantly grabbed my pistol and tryed to follow him and couldnt see him in the dark. Don't forget the large dump he took in my front yard, talk about a gross person.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thanks Jude11. I really believe in karma, and I believe wholeheartedly that you get what you give.

Between physical objects, advice, and being a patient person, I think my karma points are pretty high. In turn, this is exactly the reason why I feel like I have been so lucky and blessed in my life. I never grew up privileged by any means, but I always found a way to rise up and check every "to do" on my list with ease.

I tell my friends who do struggle a bit to give until it hurts. Keep on giving because you always get some sort of reward for your thoughtfulness. Even if it is just having a good feeling afterwards.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

However, alpacas certainly do

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by fictitious

However, alpacas certainly do

LMAO...

Sweet!

Peace

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The statement about the price of gas going up 85% since Obama was elected is a flat out lie:

gasbuddy.com...

But then again the president is 50% African American and has a foreign name, so let's further revise the list for it's target audience:

#55: If the president doesn't look like your uncle Bill, and that somehow bothers you, you might be an Murican worker

#56: If you actually can't remember that the economy tanked before Obama was president, and you still think you are so smart that working part time retail is beneath you, you might be an Murican worker

top topics

<<   2 >>

join