It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Round 2. KrazyJethro V Rain King: John Titor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   
The topic for this debate is "John Titor was a time-traveller from the future."

KrazyJethro will be arguing for this proposition and will open the debate.
Rain King will argue against this proposition.

Each debater will have one opening statement each. This will be followed by 3 alternating replies each. There will then be one closing statement each and no rebuttal.

No post will be longer than 800 words and in the case of the closing statement no longer than 500 words. In the event of a debater posting more than the stated word limit then the excess words will be deleted by me from the bottom. Credits or references at the bottom do not count towards the word total.

Editing is Strictly forbidden. This means any editing, for any reason. Any edited posts will be completely deleted.

Excluding both the opening and closing statements only one image may be included in each post. No more than 5 references can be included at the bottom of each post. Opening and closing statements must not contain any images, and must have no more than 3 references.

Responses should be made within 24 hours, if people are late with their replies, they run the risk of forfeiting their reply and possibly the debate.

Judging will be done by an anonymous panel of 11 judges. After each debate is completed it will be locked and the judges will begin making their decision. Results will be posted by me as soon as a majority (6) is reached.

This debate is now open, good luck to both of you.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Again, thanks to Kano and the judges for allowing this debate to occur and for ATS for allowing people to learn and grow, and most of all to Deny Ignorance.

The story of John Titor has been closely watched and discussed by many people the world over, but the underlying idea of time travel is the real root of this discussion. John came to the past, first passing through 1975 to get an IBM 5100 from a relative in order to fix code problems in1936 (and the possible UNIX failure in 1938).

Is time travel possible? The simple answer is yes. The theories stated by Titor are just that, theories at this point. Until they are proven by testing, and technology can compete with the imagination and complexity of our brains can we be sure.

I would imagine that Civil War would be a thing to catch people�s attention, but is the upcoming Civil War a reality. In 2004 I would say yes by merely watching the news, but in early 2000 it didn�t seem so. It was then that John told of the impending Civil War in the US beginning in 2004, although throughout history, it has been difficult to exact a specific date that began a war.

Certainty is a luxury we do not have in this world, and especially in this time. We can only hope to know if something is possible, especially when considering something as complex and beyond our technology as time travel. But John Titor has a odd comfort and earnestness with his �future� and the story he tells.

Thanks again, and good luck to my proven opponant

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Good to be here in round 2. Thanks to Kano and good luck to my opponent.

For years many people have believed in time travel. The idea is endlessly appealing: returning to a certain point in the past to correct errors, cheat the gambling system, buy future antiques, the delusions are endless. There is no denying that time travel would be a major social and political breakthrough. The simple fact of the matter is that time travel is not possible.

Many people have theories, but when all is said and done, they are still just that: speculation and hypothesis. Science is rather fickle when compared to law. Instead of �innocent until proven guilty� science is based on the principle, �non-credible� until proven credible�. No one can base fact on an unproven principle. Any man or women for the sake of science can theorize about any number of topics. Statements such as �drilling into the moons core will yield a large supply of pre-refined oil� hold no water until proof establishes the fact.

Any number of delusional Orson Scott Card fans could have posed as John Titor. What makes his claims to be from the future fact?

I look forward to discussing this topic with my esteemed opponent.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Unfortunatly, I must resign from this debate, but know that I do so under only under serious circumstances.

As some know, my wife is pregnant again (17 weeks along with our third). She has become sick and we spent the evening at the hospital. I'm sure now she'll be ok, but I still worry.

I am not able to give this debate the time and research needed, and I do not want to hold up the other contestants because it would be unfair.

My deepest apologies. I have waited for this for a long time, but my family is everything to me.

Good Luck RK, and thanks to all that make this posible.

Best Wishes,
KJ

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Ok mate, best of luck for you and your family (and congrats on the impending third
).

Look forward to seeing you back for future tournaments KrazyJethro. Rain King moves on to round 3.

new topics

top topics

join