It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Sheriff Paul Babeu steps down amid allegations of threats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Many of you may not know Paul Babeu but he is or was rather a well standing figure among Arizona conservatives, not much unlike Sheriff Arpaio. He was also one of the leading and vocal advocates for the 'papers please' Arizona law. I remember him appearing alot on CNN defending the bill. Well he has stepped down amid allegations that he threatened a Mexican Man with deportation if he went public with the revelation that he was Paul Babeu's gay boyfriend:

Pinal County, Ariz. Sheriff Paul Babeu, a Republican congressional candidate, stepped down on Saturday from his position as the Mitt Romney campaign's Arizona co-chair, in the wake of explosive allegations that Babeu threatened a Mexican man, who claims to be his ex-boyfriend, with deportation.

"Sheriff Babeu has stepped down from his volunteer position with the campaign so he can focus on the allegations against him," Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul confirmed in an email to The Huffington Post. "We support his decision."

In a press conference on Saturday, Babeu said the allegations are false but confirmed that he is gay, something he had not previously discussed.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Paul Babeu denies having a relationship with this man, he denies the allegations of the threats, although he did reveal that he was gay. As well, there is a photo of him and what the supposed ex-boyfriend, well atleast that is the claim by the supposed boyfriend. I think the core here in the allegation is the fact he made threats, although I'm certain the homosexuality thing is the most pressing matter to conservative Arizonans in all this.

I didn't see any threads on this to discuss, so I posted it here. I would say that man claiming to be the ex boyfriend would have to cough up the evidence in order to prove he had close relations with Paul Babeu, but with that picture in the link, I'd say it's very hard to ignore the allegations.
edit on 18-2-2012 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Personally as a socially liberal person I couldn't care less about a person's sexual orientation.

But hey that's conservatives for you
always putting a higher importance on who you sleep with rather than the real issues at hand

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I live in Pinal County and he is doing a good job here. He is getting things done , getting more patrols here which we are in DIRE need of. The Illegal population does not like him, but he does his job.
Had no idea he was gay. I would still vote for him, he is the best sheriff pinal has has in a long time.

Each candidate is getting attacked pretty bad on the republican side. Now Santorum is the front runner. What will they find on him?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I'm sorry, I dont understand your post.

But hey that's conservatives for you always putting a higher importance on who you sleep with rather than the real issues at hand
What was in the article or the OP that made you think that conservatives were ignoring the issue of the threats? Are conservatives leading anti-Babeu parades based on his sexual choices?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
A gay AZ Sheriff sleeping with illegal aliens - I guess he would be stepping up patrols. You can't make this stuff up.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
I live in Pinal County and he is doing a good job here. He is getting things done , getting more patrols here which we are in DIRE need of. The Illegal population does not like him, but he does his job.

I'm glad you support him for the work he does and his actions, not is personal relationships. But do you think it is professional to make threats to somebody like this? We don't know whether these allegations are all true, but this is a very serious allegaton nevertheless. If this turns out to be true, it doesn't look good for him as a public figure. He should be representing the interests of all Arizonans, not just a certain segment.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I get it thats why hes out there day and nite trying to pick up hispanic men from out of town hey?
WOW!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
No matter what happens , it will ruin his career. The hispanic population does not like him and have been trying to get him out of office. This will probably do it.
It is not up to me to say if they are true or not, but if true, yeah, messed up that hes sleeping with an illegal, the same ones hes deporting.

Now, there IS a lot of people that do not like him, so I would not be so quick to say these are true.
Some will do anything to get him out of power. Will have to see how it pans out .

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
If I 'm reading this right, he stepped down from a volunteer position on romneys staff, not from being sheriff. Sounds like a good move to me! As for the ex boyfriend thing, sounds a bit sensationalist and false, probably just a smear.
edit on 19-2-2012 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

here is a video of Babeu denying the allegations.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
The Illegal population does not like him, but he does his job.

Well at least one Illegal didn't seem to mind him...and the "does his job" thing might be up for debate.

(a) Babeu is gay, and (b) that he had allegedly threatened to have an ex-boyfriend deported if the paramour went public with their affair. The paramour, identified only as "Jose," did indeed go public. Jose is a Mexican national who also says that hard-liner Babeu, during the span of their affair, never asked him about his immigrant status.

www.newsworks.org...

Also...I like the NEW Sheriff Babeu, but am dissapointed he had to be outed in order for him to speak his mind..

But Babeu had a lot more to say yesterday. He came out for gay marriage: "This is where our government needs to get the heck out of the way. You can't legislate love." He said that voters in his prospective congressional district should judge him not on his sexual orientation but on his record of public service: "I've served my country. I've answered thousands of emergency calls as a police officer, life saving medals. I served as an army officer in Iraq, commanded 700 soldiers in Yuma."

And he said that being an out gay in Arizona is actually a great thing, that it embodies American ideals: "We're different in America. And we celebrate our differences. And we see it as a strength, the beauty of our country...Our religion, our freedom of speech, our political views and even our diversity in orientation. And that's the same liberties, the same freedoms that I put my own personal safety and life on the line to defend for our country..."

www.newsworks.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
No one should have to reveal their sexual orientation - - - unless they are being hypocritical.

Like - - gay politicians in the closet campaigning on Family Values and anti-Gay legislation.

Is Sheriff Babeu being hypocritical? Well? Maybe.

There are gay Republicans - - that's not an issue in itself.

But - - if he is having a relationship with an illegal Mexican - - that's pretty hypocritical. Not because he is gay - - but because - - in his career position - - he has taken a strong stand against illegals.

top topics

join