It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG - It’s a False Flag!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
On my quest to uncover the truth I stumbled across a phenomenon that occurs here on ATS that I just had to share.

Caveat - We all know covert actions take place and False Flags HAVE HAPPENED throughout history. In this thread I do not wish to dispute the validity of any false flag claim.

Quick WIKI definition of False Flag:

False flag operations are covert operations designed to deceive in such a way that the operations appear as though they are being carried out by other entities.
WIKI

When defining False Flag the logical fallacy ‘Begging the Question’ (or petitio principii) comes to mind.

Quick WIKI definition of petitio principii:

petitio principii is committed "when a proposition which requires proof is assumed without proof", or more generally denotes when an assumption is used, "in some form of the very proposition to be proved, as a premise from which to deduce it".
WIKI

I’ve seen the term False Flag thrown about too loosely here on ATS. The problem I have is that the term ‘False Flag’ is now being used by ATS members as a means of dismissing events and arguments made by other members.

Claiming ‘False Flag’ is similar to dismissing an argument by claiming it’s a ‘Conspiracy Theory’ IMO, and most of us were drawn here because of conspiracy theories! False Flag is now being used on ATS as code word for ‘don’t believe a word of this because I don't believe it’.

Quick WIKI definition of Conspiracy Theory:

A conspiracy theory explains an event as being the result of an alleged plot by a covert group or organization or, more broadly, the idea that important political, social or economic events are the products of secret plots that are largely unknown to the general public.
WIKI

I have to proclaim BS on this!!!!

Dismissing an argument, situation or event posed by another member as a ‘False Flag’ is nothing less than a fallacious response; it’s an easy way to avoid discussing the possibility/probability or validity the scenario simply because the responder doesn’t like the alleged perpetrator of the so-called False Flag.

I think this phenomenon deserves its own title! I hereby name this phenomenon the ATS FALSE FLAG and add it to the newest list of logical fallacies. I wave all intellectual rights to this term and encourage all users to claim ATS FALSE FLAG when they see a member using this false logic to discredit the thread or post of another member!

edit on 18-2-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

False Flag is now being used on ATS as code word for ‘don’t believe a word of this because I don't believe it’.

and if I dont believe it, its pure crap............been dealing with that a little my self lately

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
your FACE is a false flag.

Seriously though... with you 100% on this.
Whitney Houston false flag? Not so much.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Dear seabag,

I hope your new term catches on. My objection, as I think you mentioned, is the lack of evidence (or lack of falsifiabilty) that the argument is grounded on.

A supporter of country X sees news coming in that says country X has done a bad thing. The supporter can't deny that the bad thing happened, there are usually bodies strewn around, so they try saying country X didn't do it. The supporter calls every bit of evidence a lie, but has no evidence to show that another country did it.

In the case of a bad thing happening where we don't know who was behind it (the magnetic car bombings in Iran), I'm happy to see theories flow freely. But where there is evidence pointing toward country X, I'm looking for the supporter to explain and show why it was actually done by country Y.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Close your account on ATS then.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by HallamFoe

Actually I don't think you can do that.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I looked at your last four responses on ATS and you can barely form more than a sentence (1 of 4). Do you have anything substantive to add to my thread?

I’d love to hear your take on ATS FALSE FLAG...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Here's a false flag for ya:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Well here’s a False Flag for you, sir!

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I looked at your last four responses on ATS and you can barely form more than a sentence (1 of 4). Do you have anything substantive to add to my thread?

I’d love to hear your take on ATS FALSE FLAG...

I dont know if this is a False Flag(establishing relevance to thread) but poster in question did bang out a good sentence in this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... but it was about a video game so..there you go.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
My last four responses? Wow you're good. Sometimes one sentence is all you need to get a point across. Other times it's a simple thread that requires a simple answer without too much detail. Other times you have to just concur with other members because a topic has been explored so much. Sometimes it's difficult to string more than one sentence together because you use a mobile device.

Anyway...

False Flag is now being used on ATS as code word for ‘don’t believe a word of this because I don't believe it’.
reply to post by seabag

I haven't seen any ATS member use the term "false flag" in this way. We all know what it means. I think you have misunderstood what they are saying. Read the posts carefully. Silly.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by HallamFoe

I haven't seen any ATS member use the term "false flag" in this way. We all know what it means. I think you have misunderstood what they are saying. Read the posts carefully. Silly.

Not to be contrary. But I don't think "we all know what it means". I have seen it misused on more than one occasion. On the other hand, I also agree that sometimes it does come down to a misunderstanding.

So I think the OP has a valid point on this one. Some of our members don't know the difference between "Marshall" and "Martial", democracy and republic, and so on. So why should this be a surprise. We should all make an effort to understand how to use the words and terms we turn here in a sentence properly.

edit on 2/19/2012 by Klassified because: correction

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

"Marshall" and "Martial", democracy and republic, and so on.
reply to post by Klassified

you might or might not be surprised at how many people think seeing police in riot gear is Martial law.I was talking to a guy last night from Utah and saw his bro. home video of Cops in New York and was arguing that it was Martial Law...

ATS motto Deny Ignorance

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Wait, I try and tell a joke and get nothing, you do the same and get a star for it?

That sir is false flag star giving of the highest order.

But no, totally agree with the sentiments of your OP. Lot of misuse of that and other terms on this forum.

new topics

top topics

join