It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Department Of Homeland Security Schemed To Spy On Political Opponents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Last April, the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) requested information under the Freedom of Information Act.

The DHS's “Media Monitoring Initiative" was the focus of the request.

It looks like they had some of it denied, but did get some interesting info anyway.

Started 2 years ago, DHS claimed the purpose of the Initiative was “…to assist DHS and its components involved in the security, safety, and border control associated with the 2010 Winter Olympics as well as the response, recovery, and rebuilding effort resulting from the earthquake and after-effects in Haiti.”

And how did Homeland Security intend to accomplish this noble, dual purpose of controlling the border and assisting in Haiti? Naturally, by “… [monitoring] publicly available online forums, blogs, public websites, and message boards to collect information used in providing situational awareness and establishing a common operating picture.”

Well given the histories of Barack Obama and Janet Napolitano, the people at EPIC smelled a rat. And rightly so, for upon filing a lawsuit in December of 2011–after Homeland Security had ignored the Center’s original FOIA requests–EPIC was provided some 285 pages of documents by Napolitano’s Department. And portions of those documents paint a picture of federal overreach and intrusion into the lives of the American people extraordinary even by Obama Regime standards.

For the initial documents obtained by EPIC in January made it clear the Media Monitoring program had been created for little more than spying on the American people.

details in the story:
DHS political motives ?

DHS Privacy Investigations & Compliance Reviews

DHS Social Media Monitoring and Situational Awareness Initiative

It's possible some information obtained by the DHS could be used by the Obama campaign.

Things like general opinions and specific groups could be databased and compared so as to make campaign targets easier to identify.

I wonder if anything is illegal here ?

Did the DHS use national security to disguise Obama campaign initiatives ?

If so, then the taxpayers get the bill, not the donors.

How will the Truth Team respond ?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Dear xuenchen,

One of the many things that surprises me at ATS is the large number of people who say both:

1.) Americans should be free. TSA, internet crackdowns, NDAA, feds raiding people selling raw milk, drone surveillance, etc. are all bad and terrible things, and

2.) The Obama administration should be given four more years of power.

I understand that there are some Obama policies that appeal to some people, but are they worth the erosion of freedom and privacy that have increased in the last few years?

This policy of monitoring the opposition seems more like China or Russia, than the US ideals.

Anyway, thanks for finding yet another important news story.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

2.) The Obama administration should be given four more years of power.

Those that want four more years of Obama are either zombies or sucking off the Government teat.

Gawd I hate to say it, but even Romney looks better than the current POTUS.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

I understand that there are some Obama policies that appeal to some people, but are they worth the erosion of freedom and privacy that have increased in the last few years?

Like any republican wouldn't do the exact same thing?? While killing granny, poor people and our planet at the same time, no thanks.

top topics

join