It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Example of How To Fight Tyranny

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cancerwarrior
I think these were small town cops just doing their job. And being very polite I might add. I would like to see this guy pull up at a state trooper checkpoint and do this.

When, when, WHEN did stopping people without evidence of a crime become "just doing their job"????

It used to be a time a drunk driver was identified by an "oh no, he's swering and can't seem to focus. I'm gonna stop him and breathalyze him." Now it's just a game of whack-a-mole???

Pull 'em all over and you might get one!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

To the people who support these checkpoints:

Since you think it's okay for police to have checkpoints for drivers because a few got drunk and caused damage, or bodily harm - is it okay to monitor Masjids for Muslims that MIGHT be plotting.

Or is it okay to moniter all Iranians because they might be sleeper agents??

Why not strip students butt naked at school so they don't hide drugs or weapons! Eliminates the drug problem and shrinks the risk of school shootings to 0%!

This is the most ridiculous statement I have read in ages. DUI checks have been going on for AGES. It was contested in the SUPREME COURT and was ruled to comply with the 4th Amendment IN 1990.

Michigan Dept. of State Police v. Sitz, 496 U.S. 444 (1990), was a United States Supreme Court case involving the constitutionality of police sobriety checkpoints. By a vote of 6-3, the Court held that these checkpoints met the Fourth Amendment standard of "reasonable search and seizure."
[edit]
en.wikipedia.org...
22 years ago.
22 years.
Ago.
DUI checkpoints.

And people think the guy in the OP is some kind of Wizard. The Police let him go because they held no suspicion he was drunk.
Thats it, Period.

If he made the same video whilst intoxicated, we would see him being asked to complete a field test and possibly arrested for being DUI. Regardless of whether he answered or not.

The Court also held that the impact on drivers, such as in delaying them from reaching their destination, was negligible, and that the brief questioning to gain "reasonable suspicion" similarly had a negligible impact on the drivers' Fourth Amendment right from unreasonable search (implying that any more detailed or invasive searches would be treated differently). Applying a balancing test, then, the Court found that the Constitutionality of the search tilted in favor of the government.

I'm AUSTRALIAN and I KNOW this!

There are check points for DUI because society AGREES that it is acceptable.

Go out into YOUR OWN society and COMMUNICATE with your neighbours about the ISSUE. Its called democracy.

Isn't it nice that we don't stop people for blatant stupidty, gross over exaggerations, insane and disproportionate comparisons and general absurdity whilst making political staements on youtube or posting on ATS.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

I'm sorry, I must have missed my "gross over exaggerations". Please do show me where they were. As I see it, those were all valid comparisons of possible situations...

ETA: Must I remind you that the NDAA was also signed into law, and now any American can be locked up and DENIED DUE PROCESS... Police State FTW

But you must think you got # all figured out, from Australia and what not...
edit on 19-2-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cancerwarrior
I think these were small town cops just doing their job. And being very polite I might add. I would like to see this guy pull up at a state trooper checkpoint and do this.

When, when, WHEN did stopping people without evidence of a crime become "just doing their job"????

It used to be a time a drunk driver was identified by an "oh no, he's swering and can't seem to focus. I'm gonna stop him and breathalyze him." Now it's just a game of whack-a-mole???

Pull 'em all over and you might get one!

I hate to say it, but I think DUI checkpoints are a good thing in certain areas, and like it or not, they're told to do them by their boss so it then becomes part of their job. After all, its not like the cops get together and say "Hey, lets pull over people and see whos drunk just for boredoms sake." Bored cops go to the burger king, not to work.

I live in a state with alot of alcohol drinkers, as well as a town with a college. And come to think of it, I have personally driven drunk many times because sometimes thats the only way to get home from the bar. I don't do it anymore because I won't lie, I'm scared of Louisiana cops. And they still identify people by the method you described above, but the guys that drive the drunkest also have the most practice and are good at it. Not everyone weaves and drives all crazy when they're drunk. There's been a few times when i have woke up in my truck in the front yard with no recollection of driving home. If I've done it I can't be the only one. So its better that I drink beer in my back yard when I want and make a fire to stand around and stay away from any bars in town. My two cents anyways.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

The real issue here is of course, alcohol, and not drunk driving.

If you say one can drink and not drive I call that an expectation. Just as it is an expectation that someone will drink and drive.

Just get rid of alcohol.

Oh but then people say: "people should have the right to drink"...

well then you can expect them to drink and drive no matter how much you disagree with it.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

I know that I don't figure myself into a mental frenzy of fear and paranoia.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

You're kidding right?

'Checkpoints are evidence of a total police state on the rise....' Are you nuts? How many of us have have lost or know people who have lost family members to drink-driving accidents?? Dumb ass m*therf*ckers go to bars, get drunk, try to drive home and end up killing themselves and other people all the time, and police checkpoints are the only way, besides banning alcohol, of trying to prevent this.

And what? What would you rather? Idiots like you screaming 'police state, police state' would crap your pants if we lived in a society with no law enforcement. I'm not a big fan of cops, but I do know a few, and I can tell you one thing, the guy who would like to ransack your house, rape your sister and cut your throat, he's out there and the law is the only thing that makes himthink twice about doing it.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

I know that I don't figure myself into a mental frenzy of fear and paranoia.

Do they set up checkpoints in Australia to verify you have a valid license?

oh ok.... yea, shut up....

TSA on the roadways in Tennessee ring a bell? Naa, whatever, everybody who DOESN'T live here, knows best..

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I agree with the OP - these checkpoints are unconstitutional because they are random and impede your freedom of movement unnecessarily (search without cause, right to remain silent).
Let's say you agree with the checkpoint idea - would it then be OK for the police to randomly drop by your house and ask if you "doing anything illegal in there?".
The issue at hand isn't about good ideas or saving lives; it's about public officials acting within the law - which they aren't.

If I did have something to hide I certainly wouldn't be drawing attention to myself in this way. In some places this is a sure way to get pulled over and have to wait for a warrant to be issued, or at a minimum detained for some length of time.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

your assumptions, and fear mongering propaganda about hypothetical burglars and rapists makes me sick....

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Where I live practically the whole population would drink and drive if there were no checkpoints, it's rampant, and I can remember the days when people thought it was fine to get into their car steaming drunk and drive home(some still do) and only in the last 15-plus years the police crackdown on drink driving has really made people think twice about it, and thankfully the amount of DUI related deaths on our roads has gone steadily down, it's still pretty high though.

This is not the same as the police wanting to get into your house just to see if there is any illegal stuff there, this is the police protecting people who wish to use a public road safely.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

you mean kinda like the police protecting people who want to use the cities safely?

i.e stopping "terror attacks"

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

your assumptions, and fear mongering propaganda about hypothetical burglars and rapists makes me sick....

Be my guest. Your paranoid assumptions about a police state worry me. People like you are a bane to rational thought.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I think he has a point though, everyone talks about the police brutality, and how cops are arseholes but guess what, that attitude changes completely when you need one around. When my wifes car got stolen, i called the cops. When I saw strange people going into my neighbors house taking stuff out, i caledl the cops. Hell I've even called them before to help me out when I locked my keys in the car. Burglars and rapists are not hypothetical. They are a part of reality like it or not. That is not fear-mongering, more like being aware of all possibilities.
edit on 19-2-2012 by Cancerwarrior because: added more

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro

I'm AUSTRALIAN and I KNOW this!

There are check points for DUI because society AGREES that it is acceptable.

Go out into YOUR OWN society and COMMUNICATE with your neighbours about the ISSUE. Its called democracy.

I'm an American and we have DUI checkpoints because the Supreme Court agreed. The same Supreme Court that now thinks they can pick our President for us (2000). The same Supreme Court that does no better at protecting our rights than Congress or the President.

We're supposed to be a Republic - a place where your rights can't be voted away which is why you will NEVER, EVER hear any of our top government officials except Ron Paul speak about Republics, they will always say Democracy.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Wow. Nice Video OP. Thanks for finding a great video. S&F

Others want to talk drunk drivers??? It's off topic but I'll bite.

I'm furious at some replies. I survived a serious drunk driving accident.

Actually, Five incidents to tell:

(this post is long because I have ALOT to say on this topic. I could go on, too.)

Get an opinion from an drunk driving survivor. My opinion should be of mighty
consideration since I was the victim of a head on drunk driving accident.

1) 30 years ago there wasn't any MADD. No check points. My life was changed
in the blink of an eye. I had just bought a new car off the lot and was returning
home after a trip to the coast. I know those mountain roads like the back
of my hand. One more 15 MPH - 90 degree turn and I was going to be Redwood City.

It was just after sunset; dark as pitch with no street lights on that mountain road.
I was following a restored, classic '67 mustang into the corner. Admiring the work
the owner had done to it. As he went into the corner a little VW Dasher came around
the corner going the opposite direction with his high beams on, sliding... sliding
(official estimate was 70MPH) across the center line.

The VW ripped the back bumper off of the mustang and he hit me head on at 70MPH.
My speed was 25 and slowing. I was driving a sports car that was totaled.
I had just driven it off the lot 4 months earlier.

That accident landed me in the hospital for 5 hours as they stitched my gashes
closed.

My first new car was totaled. I was still a teenager.

Even though I was under legal drinking age in California, I had already drank
my share and quit drinking and turned my own life around. That accident woke me
up severely. All that I had worked so hard to achieve was taken away in an instant.
(The flowers that I had gotten at the coast for my mother were still laying
on the floor of the passenger side the last time that I saw that twisted metal.
Obliterated!)

The other driver, the drunk one... he didn't have any injuries. The accident was
considered a felony drunk driving with serious injury. He pleaded not guilty and
I was subpoenaed to appear in his court case. As we arrived at court, he changed
his plea to guilty and we (my ride and I) were turned away as unnecessary.

I know his name, I know of his family, I remember the date and time, I remember
his blood alcohol as we rode together to the hospital in the same ambulance.

Result of that incident was ... His family used their status in society to
have the charges reduced for a guilty plea. His family is big shot potato
farmers in Idaho. He was going to Stanford University for the win.
Felony drunk driving, if you are from a rich family can be reduced if you
help support the local gov't. This was 30 years ago before MADD etc.
He and his buddy had been drinking at thebar at the bottom of the mountain
road just minutes before.

Am I bitter? ONLY when I think about it.

2) I mentioned above that I turned my life around.
Was a time that I would drink and drive on my 20 mile commute (mostly traveling
at 15 miles an hour in 5PM rush hour traffic across the SF Bay). AND I might add
that there once was a check point at the entry to the Bay Bridge that missed me
completely. Bottle under the seat, and I was buzzing. 0-15 MPH it's hard to have
serious accident anyhow. I don't know what the check point was for though they
missed me. That check point didn't help. Irresponsible? Absolutely.

Continued...

edit on 2·19·12 by DrMattMaddix because: (no reason given)

link   

Do they set up checkpoints in Australia to verify you have a valid license?
No. But we have DUI stops.

oh ok.... yea, shut up....
I am already quite, because I don't run around on the net in a panic because police conduct DUI check points.

TSA on the roadways in Tennessee ring a bell? Naa, whatever, everybody who DOESN'T live here, knows best..

TSA has nothing to do with the post you made. . My post is unrelated to TSA.
You are injecting another argument in order to justify the absurdity of your previous post.

Point out how the 20+ year history of DUI checks has led to any scenario in your previous post.

Pretty simple really.

link   

you mean kinda like the police protecting people who want to use the cities safely?

i.e stopping "terror attacks"

Comment removed.

Sorry for my harshness.

edit on 19-2-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Continued from above...

3) In the same vein as above, I had my driving permit. Went to a party that was
pretty much where Google's Offices are now. My best friend had finished his
fifth of Jack Daniels and I had finished mine... He threw the keys at me
saying that he was too drunk to drive to the liquor store to get more.
So, I drove his car. Hit nothing. Drunk driving all the way to the liquor store.
Retrieved another fifth for each of us and some beer for others.
To this day, I don't know how on earth I ever got home.
No scratches, dents, burns, cuts or bruises.

4) While driving home from work late one night I stopped for fast food and I took
a side road through a dark hilly area... I took the long way home.

I had nice a relaxing drive; eating some fries, (and had not been drinking for
many, many months) sucking on a milk shake. Again, it was dark, this time was
early, early AM. Yet, there was a car following. There was a sharper corner
coming up so I was slowing down, and down the hill to my right, through the
pine trees I could see headlights coming up the hill. They were traveling
at high rate of speed. When he came around the corner his car went onto and
up the side of the mountain. Nosed down into the ditch and flipped over
backwards. I watched the trunk of the car falling over the top of mine as I
went by... I could see his car hit the pavement upside down in my rear view
mirror as I slammed on my brakes, sending my milk shake to the car floor.

The car behind me was lucky as well, although not as lucky. He hit the
guardrail AND the flipped car. He backed his car up and away while I went
down the hill for help. Payphones were much more common back then.

When I returned to wait for the fire and rescue, the other driver and I
could easily tell that the driver that flipped his car was drunk. Soooo
much glass in his face too. Sooooo drunk. Sooooo irresponsible.

5) The fifth incident that I want to put out here...
Again, this was a coastal road... At night... On my way home...
Street lights were posted every mile or so... and again as above, one sharp
corner... This time, though, as I approached the corner, it had thick
vegetation. So, when some speed demon came flying around the corner at me
with SIX headlights/fog lamps glaring at me on high it wasn't difficult for
me to loose track of the road.

So, off the road I went, into the dirt.

Dusty dirt and dead leaves flew in threw the sunroof as my car ripped out
cattle fences and gates. Metal and wood flying everywhere.

After coming to a stop and attempting to open my door I found a telephone
pole was blocking my door. Missed it by six inches.

The other driver knew I went off the road. He kept going.

The next morning as my dad and I went to the coastal impound where my car
had been towed, the police showed up to take notes about the accident.

Here's the punch line... He asked what the car looked like... even though
it was dark, asked if I got a good look at it... I told him that all I saw
was headlights, lots of them. He asked if I could tell him anything more
descriptive... so, I looked around the impound lot at all the cars,
including his police cruiser; which had all SIX headlights in the exact
configuration that I saw the night before when I was run off the road.

It COULD have been another NEW Mustang Interceptor, a different officer
etc... He didn't want to know any more after that.

They charged me $400 for the fences that I had ripped out and $300 for
impound and towing.

Irresponsible of the police? Absolutely! Anything that I can do? Nope.

I don't have any solutions to drunk drivers, irresponsible drivers.

All I know for certain, that CHECK POINTS AREN'T a solution.

They are designed to intimidate. Drunks don't know fear.

Accidents happen. SOME people die.

No reason to shed all too many tears and sadness. Life goes on...

All I know for certain, that CHECK POINTS AREN'T a solution.

They need to get creative, stay within laws and be non intrusive.

Work it out. Drunk drivers happen. Teach YOUR children WELL.

Take it from a LIVING victim, CHECK POINTS AREN'T a solution.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

And what? What would you rather? Idiots like you screaming 'police state, police state' would crap your pants if we lived in a society with no law enforcement. I'm not a big fan of cops, but I do know a few, and I can tell you one thing, the guy who would like to ransack your house, rape your sister and cut your throat, he's out there and the law is the only thing that makes himthink twice about doing it.

Wow you should really do some research before spouting such garbage. Do you know how many rapes and murders police prevent? Of course you don't because it is very few if any. They are mainly their to mop up the aftermath and take a report. Armed citizens stop more crime then all law enforcement combined! So your asinine statement that that police are the only thing making criminals think twice is complete BS. What makes them think twice is armed citizens and getting their effing heads blown off if they break into someones house or threaten to rape or kill them. That is why states and jurisdictions with the least and most open gun laws have the lowest crime rates.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join