It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Striking Multi-Exposure Photo Of Air Traffic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
what more can be said?

despite my fear of flying i was intrigued by this shot.

enjoy!

Ryu HoYeol, the artist who took the shot.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Looks pretty damn crowded in those friendly skies!!!

Just think ... Nearly everyone on those planes was Baked or Groped!!!

Everytime I see a jet flying overhead, all I can think is...

"how many were groped to catch that flight" and "did they LIKE it?"

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Perhaps this will be the level of traffic up there decades from now. They better start putting some traffic lights up there right now.

On second thought, perhaps this wont be the level of traffic up there in the future due to nobody having any money to fly other than the wealthy. *SIGH*, I have to stop envisioning a world where CONservative are the majority in office!! Scary!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Wow...you'd think that many crafts in one area would pose some hefty concerns regarding flight safety!

Passenger safety and wing clearance aside, that's a very good picture. Lots of hustle and bustle in the airborne industry, clearly!

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

Well....

Nearly everyone on those planes was Baked or Groped!!!

....considering that the airport is in Hannover, Germany, the United State' TSA has no jurisdiction.

Here, an article.

Airport security in Europe is a lot more sane than in the USA....and as to getting "baked" at security?:

Europe Bans X-Ray Body Scanners Used at U.S. Airports

Like I said...some sanity.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Sweet DC-3 in your sig.

Blue side up.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by NightShift

Yup.....thanks:

The DC3 was manufactured by the Douglas Aircraft Company in Santa Monica, Calif., in 1940.

After serving in the American Airlines fleet for seven years, the aircraft was acquired by Trans-Texas Airways, which eventually merged with today's Continental Airlines.

It was restored in '50s-vintage colors by Continental in 1989. Since then, the aircraft has attended many air shows, winning prizes including "Grand Champion Antique Air Transport" at the 1997 EAA Convention and Airshow, Oshkosh, Wisc.

Exactly 100 years after the first successful airplane flight, Continental Airlines helped perpetuate the legacy of flight by donating its award-winning, historic, 63-year-old DC-3 aircraft to the Lone Star Flight Museum, Galveston, Texas.

"The DC-3 was a major stepping-stone in the development of today's worldwide commercial aviation system," said Continental Chairman and CEO Gordon Bethune.

[Please note, for those who watch the video, a bit of text which (incorrectly) 'said' that Trans-Texas Airways was a "predecessor" of Continental Airlines. IN fact, 'TTA' was....well, it's complicated.......falling on hard times, the company was "infused" with cash, and bought up by a certain Frank Lorenzo...the name changed to "Texas International"....(Parent company "umbrella" corporate name was "Texas Air Corporation"....from here, it gets messy......).

When Continental Airlines was in dire financial straits, in 1982...."Texas Air Corp" swooped in, and....bought up the assets in the Bankruptcy proceedings....so the airlines "Texas International" and "Continental" were then merged.....not easily, either. But, as they say...."Water under the bridge...."

Was nice having her around, for those few years....again......of course, it flew as "Trans-Texas Airways" in its real life, after AAL....but, Continental did have DC-3s in its past, so that paint scheme is accurate to the era, if not the specific airframe.....

Continental Airlines historic fleet

A modern jet (B-737-900), in the "Retro" livery:

In June 2009, Continental Airlines took delivery of another new Boeing 737-900ER, which was painted with a retro livery to commemorate the airline’s 75th anniversary. The new aircraft’s retro livery, which was originally used on aircraft beginning in 1947 and is called The Blue Skyway, was selected by Continental employees.

edit on Sun 19 February 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I can't remember when I was last groped... I think I'll buy a ticket

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sy.gunson

.....(ROFL)...yeah, dumb but....

It ^ ^ ^ was funny enough to merit this rather (slightly) off-topic response....(but hopefully to bring a smile...or a groan, either way....).....:

"You Did It Again!!"

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w---->what more can be said?

Well the TCAS-message would have been interesting.

Cool picture

Looks like Heathrow on a good day

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
ATC does a great job for the most part. Ive run into my fair share of jerks, but with how stressful their job is, I'd probably be one too. 99.99% of them are awesome and do a fantastic job. It amazes me the amount of traffic they can handle. Glad im in the sky instead of the tower. Then again, its always better to be down here wishing I was up there instead of up there, wishing I was down here..
edit on 8-3-2012 by SAB17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

It's a shame to let a hangar flying thread get buried; sorry to take so long to get around to your response!

How did she make out during Katrina. From what I recall, some volunteers got some of the planes out of Galveston, but not all.

During my training I was pleasantly surprised to see a few DC-3s at a couple of the airports I just happened to choose for my cross-country flights. I ended up landing back at JWN, hopping in the car, and driving out to enjoy them up close. I think they are beautiful, the iconoclastic aircraft. A relative flew C-47s ( is that the right military designation? ) and he loved them.

ATC has always done ok by me. I witnessed a clear violation of minimum separation from the ground a few months back, involving two airliners (my heart stopped) and was furious. I was ready to stomp inside and report to the FAA, but remembered that I've not been perfect myself and kept my mouth shut....until now.

Seen much worse on a sunny day at the local strip anyway, who am I kidding?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by NightShift

Can't find any info about Katrina, and the Lone Star Museum....but, come to learn that Hurricane Ike (in 2008) was worse:

2008 Damage and restoration

Aircraft flown out of harm's way in advance include their B-17, B-25, DC-3, P-47, F6F, F4U, SBD, PT-17, T-6 and the F8F. Most of the airworthy planes were flown out of the museum prior to the hurricane. Those remaining as well as the static displays were largely destroyed or heavily damaged.

Sad.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

haha, Looks like when I was a pilot. Great scott!

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
That's really cool.

I'm almost tempted to try something like that with the interval mode on my camera one of these days. Just need to get off my lazy butt.

Also reminds me of multiplayer mode in a flight sim at the default airport where all the newbs start out at.
I've seen it like that, but to a much lesser degree. (After a certain point it'll lag badly, and people start going to other map tiles.)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Looks pretty damn crowded in those friendly skies!!!

Just think ... Nearly everyone on those planes was Baked or Groped!!!

Everytime I see a jet flying overhead, all I can think is...

"how many were groped to catch that flight" and "did they LIKE it?"

Everyone was groped?
Yeh right. Another American who thinks that nothing exists beyond the borders of the USA.
Maybe you should actually LOOK at the airlines in that photo..not every airline represented in that photo is an American based airline or flying to the USA, therefore your ridiculous laws and your ridiculous assumption are irrelevant.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Cool pic, OP.
My husband and I were just discussing how many planes are in the sky at any given point.
Actually, we were talking about EMP. I was thinking about all the planes falling out of the sky. To me that is terrifying. I found this video so that I could show him how crowded the skies have become.

Say what you will about ATC but they do an amazing job coordinating all this traffic.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

You may rest more assured when you realize that an EMP is not going to cause airplanes to "drop" out of the sky......(reminds me of a funny bit from a Simpsons episode.....related to the "Y2K" scare of 1999.....see if I can find it):

.....can't at the moment. I think it was one of the Halloween "Tree House of Horror" specials, though......

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

You may rest more assured when you realize that an EMP is not going to cause airplanes to "drop" out of the sky......(reminds me of a funny bit from a Simpsons episode.....related to the "Y2K" scare of 1999.....see if I can find it):

.....can't at the moment. I think it was one of the Halloween "Tree House of Horror" specials, though......

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Can you please explain why they won't? I was under the impression that EMP would cause electrical failure and the aircraft would be crippled. I would definitely sleep better if you could explain it to me.
Much appreciated, ProudBird.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join