It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather killer technology or radar glitch?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Here in east Alabama, we have a heavy rain front moving in and been watching the Weather Underground radar off an on because of a flash Flood watch we are under.

At roughly 2:10/2:15 pm CST, I saw this strange radar anomaly and used my camera to do a quick video. The city in the upper right of the map is Atlanta, Georgia.

The triangle-shaped empty space that appears could simple be a radar glitch but the returns from around it almost suggest that it is more than that.

No, I am not a meteorologist and I claim no expertise... or 'desk'pertise. But I found it curious. I apologize for the non-focus but my camera wouldn't lock onto my computer screen for a sharper image.

I just found it to be... curious, and thought I'd share.

edit on 18-2-2012 by redoubt because: typo

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I know I've seen similar radar images here on ATS before with the proper explanation as well.

I'll see if I can find one, but if I'm not mistaken it has something to do with the radar reflectivity, or lack thereof due to the heavy rains...cant quite remember. I think it was Phage who explained it well...

off to ATS search...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
I know I've seen similar radar images here on ATS before with the proper explanation as well.

I'll see if I can find one, but if I'm not mistaken it has something to do with the radar reflectivity, or lack thereof due to the heavy rains...cant quite remember. I think it was Phage who explained it well...

off to ATS search...

Thanks

I've seen blank echoes before but... being as close as we are here to Fort Benning... and there being more than decades worth of local folklore about weather control from that base (I really have seen some strange stuff as weather fronts pass over this area)... I thought I'd toss it out.

Besides that, it's just nasty outside. I needed something shake the tree with...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
Here in east Alabama, we have a heavy rain front moving in and been watching the Weather Underground radar off an on because of a flash Flood watch we are under.

At roughly 2:10/2:15 pm CST, I saw this strange radar anomaly and used my camera to do a quick video. The city in the upper right of the map is Atlanta, Georgia.

The triangle-shaped empty space that appears could simple be a radar glitch but the returns from around it almost suggest that it is more than that.

No, I am not a meteorologist and I claim no expertise... or 'desk'pertise. But I found it curious. I apologize for the non-focus but my camera wouldn't lock onto my computer screen for a sharper image.

What about that little tiny circle to the left of it???

IT's odd.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by matty1053

Originally posted by redoubt

What about that little tiny circle to the left of it???

IT's odd.

That would be a coffee stain.
maybe

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

What about that little tiny circle to the left of it??? IT's odd.

Weather is odd. I once watched a heavy system move in that drop a tornado and then disappeared in like two or three radar frames.

I dunno. But like I said, the local army base seems to have a way of making a gap in these things when they pass over. Local folks talk about it all the time but no one really takes it seriously... or if they do, they chalk it up to technology that the military has and that we don't know about.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I have proof that weather control is real..
I will upload this pic when I can scan it on my computer....

But, here is the story.

I was vacationing in Joplin about 30 minutes before the big gun, tornado hit.

30 min before I left...

The weather channel said it would be a very clear and sunny day all day...
15 min after i left... there was NOOOO warning/radar of any storm coming to them...
Then about 5 min BEFORE tornado hit... the Huge thing of radar came up...

Also, In Port Austin, MI...
There was a major storm that had about 50 water spouts spawned...

About 10 minutes before the storm hit... It was going to the EAST straightly.... then, right when I checked about 3 minutes after the last time I checked... It was all the sudden turning BACK to Port Austin... It's like "oh I missed it..."
My family had a huge reunion... about 179 people exact.

Then right after we set our dishes of dinner down... we started seeing heavy clouds... to the north... all the sudden we actually saw them moving about 100 mph... no joke.
We all ran to our cars... then about 30 seconds on our way to our cars... it hit.

We had about 98mph gusts...

3 people died later of head injury's.
37 of them were injured.

About 39 of the water spouts came on land... took about 3 lives...

The storm, RIGHT after it hit Port Austin--Just dissapeared... My uncle was on his way up here and we called him...
He was about 4 miles away from when the storm hit us... he said he saw the clouds... but right when it stopped hitting, they just dissapeared.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

That could be a glitch in the radar composition algorithm that combines storm data from multiple radar sites to form the single composite mesh that we normally see as radar images. I can't say that's actually what it is, but because it's a nearly perfect geometric shape and it's clean on the inside of that shape that's what I'd attribute it to. I don't particularly believe we have the technology to just "kill" swaths of weather disturbances, so that's just one more reason I'd go with the much more likely story.

If you watch live weather radar here, you'll notice several locations where weather disappears. It could be the same case in those areas, the algorithm is just experiencing issues with compiling multiple radar source data sets. They could also be dead zones in the coverage, or the result of computers trying to filter out ground clutter.

Radar isn't perfect, so this stuff happens occasionally.
More radar information is available here.
edit on 18-2-2012 by Mapkar because: Repaired a link

top topics

join