It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Wide Seismic Event...

page: 62
<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
volcanoes.usgs.gov... ght.html

And here is the USGS surveys webpage on it. Lahar warning systems for the mud flows.

It also has some nice pictures of the big monster. Despite being a big scary volcano, it sure is pretty and has made the surrpunding areas really pretty as well!

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Earlier we wrote that everyone in California should get a pet mouse, so they'll be warned when another earthquake is on the way. Now Japanese researchers say dogs may also be able to predict earthquakes, and scientists there do seem to have predicted the big quake that hit last week.
Kiyoshi Shimamura says that he began noticing an increase in dog bites and other complaints about dogs shortly before earthquakes hit. He examined the records of 12 public health centers in the parts of Japan that were struck by the 1995 Kobe quake that killed 6,000 people.

He found that reports of dogs barking excessively, biting and displaying other unusual behavior increased 18% in the two months before and after the 7.2 quake. Records at three centers on Awaji Island, which was right above the quake's epicenter, showed a 60% percent increase in dog complaints in the month before the earthquake. Shimamura says, "The results, which were collected from a wide range of data, can be linked to earthquake prediction."

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Im not a geological expert, just a hobbiest, perhaps someone else, like DR or other resident geo gods can make some perspective on them> Also the site only shows earthquakes up to the 15th of sep, nothing about more recent activity, which is what Im curious about. The ones on there are tiny and pretty run of the mill seismic activity for the big monster, so nothing odd there. Wonder if tho it has any bearing on other sesmic activity? Posted by Skadi

Well, all the quakes resgistering are very low level, which is really not too unusual for a quiet volcano... Also, the maximum depth of 8.7 KM indicats that it is not associated with mass tectonic shifts... Keep in mind, the tectonic plates extend 20-60 KM in middle of the ocean, and another 60+ KM of continental crust on top of that around where Mt. Rainier is...

I would interpret this data as simply an instance of Mt. Rainier making minor localized adjustments to stress... again, not a major situation, this is normal in most all fault zones and other seismic areas.

However, in ANY area where deep stress is known to be building, and a noted lack of seismic activity, or other exit for this seismic energy exists, this is bad news.... It means that the underlying rock units are simply absorbing and storing this slowly buiilding stress, and will conitinue to do so until the amount of strain exceeds the tensile strength of the rock unit, at which point it will fracture violently, releasing the energy in a seismic event...

Massive (8.5+) quakes and eruption are often preceded by moderate quakes (around 4.0 mag, such as what we are watching for at Yellowstone) and these "precursor" quakes should be noted, as it indicates that strain is increasing to the point to break significant rock structures, resulting in larger and larger quakes...

So, remmeber the 3.0-4.0 quakes at Yellowstone a few weeks ago????

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 11:10 AM
link   
DR,

The website shows no recent updates since sep 15. Is this standard, or does this mean no activity has occured at Mt Rainier? How do they do those things anyway, Bi Monthly? It said updated daily, perhaps they have simply been a bit slow?

I hope so, because if the little baby quakes have suddenly stopped, and the big quake in Japan......

Anyway, I figured the quakes were tiny and were not signifigant, but i figured you could eleborate as to what goes on with the volcano and all those little shakes and stuff. MT Rainier has been relatively quiet in its history, with MT St Helens being the noisy, loud, and obnoxious volcano.

I hope MT Rainier stays well behaved, Its such a pretty Volcano, I do enjoy watching it in the sunset, when it turns pink, gold silver, and purple from the light relfected off the glacier. I wouldnt want to see it blow! Its too damn pretty! And when its a full moon and the moonlight hits is glacier pocked slopes.....OHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

What worries me alot is that big fat fault that runs under the puget sound, from Olympia to the San Juan islands, thats what set off our last big quake, and the only thing that prevented more damage was that the quake was very deep under the earth. A shallow decent magnitude quake under that Fault zone would level seattle, because alot of it is build on mudflats and landfills, or on unstable hillsides and canyons.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
the charts seem to be back to normalclick

New zealand and japan are stil copping it
click

wonder when the next big one is gonna happen.

it seems like it wont be to long before somewhere populated copps it.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 02:15 AM
link   
just checked usgs, there was a couple large (7.0-8.3 quakes/aftershocks in hokkaido. and a large quake in siberia.

siberia quake

Earthquake hits Siberia
From correspondents in Moscow
October 1, 2003

A SERIES of violent tremors have rocked Russia's southwest Siberia region, reaching up to 8.0 on the Richter scale, seismologists quoted by the Interfax news agency said.

Here is a list of most of the 5.5mag quake's recorded by usgs

edit stupid me i didnt read the dates untill now. stupid stupid (slapshimself in the face)

[Edited on 10-1-2003 by ausconspiracies]

[Edited on 10-2-2003 by ausconspiracies]

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The Klyuchevskoy Volcano on the Kamchatka Peninsula in the Russian Far East, the highest in Eurasia (4,833 meters), has become active again. For one day now it has been ejecting gases and ashes to the height of three thousand meters. The train of the ashes has already stretched for seventy kilometers to the east of the volcano whose activity is gradually increasing.

Here are some comments by Erwin Luna of San Fernando Valley who has followed up on this story. �Today now it's been confirmed it's spewing ashes and gases to claimed up to three thousand meters! that's roughly some 9,000 feet. What a force. Ashes are raining down up to 35 miles away down wind. I think this volcano is in a relatively similar area to that of Yellow Stone but In Russia, where there are geysers and hot streams. So I begin to wonder if all the "Super-Volcano" or known caldera areas are somehow interconnected OR they are simply reacting to the same phenomenon.�

According to data from local observers, the luminescence in the crater is becoming more intensive, which testifies to the appearance of new lava. The seismic stations in the area of the volcano are seeing a large number of earthquakes on the surface and at a depth of thirty kilometers under the central crater.

Experts forecast a new powerful eruption from Klyuchevskoy in the near future, which will be dangerous for the town of Klyuchi situated some thirty kilometers from the volcano. The last powerful eruption of the Klyuchevskoy volcano took place in 1994.

www.earthchangestv.com...

Hmmm..another Caldera brewing. Here's a few links on Klyuchevskoy.

www.geo.mtu.edu...

www.avo.alaska.edu...

[Edited on 2-10-2003 by kukla]

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Calm before the storm? Mt Fuji is showing subsidence.

"Four patches of subsidence were discovered on the sides of Japan's volcanic Mount Fuji on Friday, one with steam rising from it, but scientists said there was no sign of volcanic activity and the venerable peak was quiet."

story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20030926/sc_nm/japan_volcano_dc

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 04:27 PM
link   
If the Kamchatka volcano errupts, it could hit more than just a little village, it could set of tsunamis that strike other areas of the pacific.

Kamchatka is across the ocean from us. even with Seattle. Could hit Alaska with some killer tidal waves too.

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Karymsky and Klyuchevskoy are both at level Orange now.

Sheveluch went from Green to Yellow.

www.avo.alaska.edu...

The Russians setup some video monitors for our enjoyment.

data.emsd.iks.ru...

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Hey, what's this here?
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...
DR....I think your NMSZ just burped.

One of the more active days lately, not counting all the aftershocks in Hakkaido & Siberia. Couple in Alaska, a couple in Central America....
and a 4.2 in Poland?!?!?
www.iris.edu...

RedPuma's got a couple decent ones in Cali, and one in Iran.
seismo.ethz.ch...

Too many HAARP stations are going offline and/or weird for my liking.
Nice little spike there earlier today.

-B.

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The quake analysis has been updated.

www.mysticfish.net...

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The system of short-term earthquake prediction based on the electromagnetic and ionospheric monitoring Mexico, D.F. 2003

216.239.39.104...:rf_r3cwcFI8J:www.igeofcu.unam.mx/ionosferico/webindex/resume_EN.pdf+Ion-Aerosol+Kinetics+in+the+Troposphere&hl=en &ie=UTF-8

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
*edit* Looks like a nice 5.7 in Kurils

seismo.ethz.ch...

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

[Edited on 6-10-2003 by kukla]

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I hope its a pole shift, for some reason, disaster intrigues me. Like a comet coming for us!

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by eagle
I hope its a pole shift, for some reason, disaster intrigues me. Like a comet coming for us!

Trust me, if a pole shift was indeed starting (and there is good evidence that it might be!) you wont live to see the end of it.

Pole shifts (and by that I mean magnetic pole shifts, there is no evidence that a spin axis pole shift has ever happened in history, and no evidence to suggest that it is possible), take several centuries to complete.

In a magnetic pole shift, the geomagnetic field dies down slowly to about 5% original and then comes back up to original strength in the opposite orientation. If it started today, there may be a 5% drop in total field strength by the time you die of old age.

I am sorry to say, this isnt a world ending event. In all likelihood, you would never know it was happening. Also, there is no evidence to suggest that any geomagnetic reversal has ever been correlated to a mass extinction event.

Just another rather boring and mundane geologic process I am sorry to say!

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Theres alot of big black lines on the Live report, i'm assuming theres been a quake somewhere, the marianas sensor looks strongest hit so i'm guessing it was a pacific quake, does anyone have details?

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I'm hoping someone here watches enough solar data to comment on this. I don't follow it daily, more weekly, but have never seen a reading like this. Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kukla
I'm hoping someone here watches enough solar data to comment on this. I don't follow it daily, more weekly, but have never seen a reading like this. Any thoughts?

I went to look at HAARP to see if there was any correlation.
This is....I don't know what to make of this.
Please, someone screen cap this for me. I'm not on my computer and this needs to be saved.
At the bottom, enter 20031007 in the date box.
Cap Anchorage.
What in the HELL is that??

-B.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 10:04 PM
link   
done i capped it, i capped all of them though, do you just want anchorage??

new topics

top topics

<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join