It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom of Speech - An excuse to be Openly an Anti-Muslim

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Audiokat
reply to post by ALLDRAFT

It was kinda the point I was getting at. In their society, it is acceptable to hate and insult westerners in general, even though millions have done nothing to offend them and have no desire to. Yet, when there is hatred and isults returned, all we hear are complaints.

I have issues about muslims over here in the uk doing anti uk demonstrations and so on. And we put up with it. I'd like to see a group of westerners doing an anti muslim demonstration in say Iraq. They'd be killed in the streets there and then. But that's ok isn't it?

so?

if all your friends jumped off a bridge - would you jump off the bridge too?

if all your enemies do awful things - do you do them too?

I apologize for the condescending simplicity of my message - sorta

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Freedom of speech indeed excuses openly anti-muslim sentiments. The same applies to any religion, and also cultural trait or political ideology. Atheism included, I am no hypocrite, nor am I a fan of hate speech laws.

Second, there is indeed a buzzword to describe someone who is anti-muslim, and that is an "Islamophobe". So rest assured that you have your own buzzword..

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

What would you say if every time a priest molested a child, millions of Catholics danced in the streets?
What would you say if after the OK bombing, millions of Christians danced in the streets?
What would you say if after the Columbine shootings, millions of christians danced in the streets?

Oh I forgot, that only happens when Islamists commit atrocities. That must mean something....

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Well that's a false argument.

Show me when that happens? Show me "millions" of muslims rejoicing in the streets over American deaths.

And if you link to videos of Muslims protesting in the streets shooting guns in the air as "proof" that all muslims around the world rejoice, I'll just laugh at you.

Also I hope you speak arabic or one of the very many dialects spoken by them if you are going to post work that is tranlsated.

~Tenth
edit on 2/18/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Oh my bad, you are right. No American has ever seen Muslims in the streets dancing after 911 or any other casualty inflicted on the west. Its all smoke and mirrors from Fox news.

And if they were dancing in the streets it was probably a celebration of religious tolerance. My bad.

My sincere apologies to all Muslims who are above partying in the streets when the great Satan gets a stick in the eye.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

All of your examples is attempts to subdue freedom of speech .... the last one is freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech means just that, the right to openly speak against the things you disagree with ...

You are making yourself a spokesperson for the opposite of democracy and freedom eg. political correctness - some opinions are ok ... some talk is ok ... as long as I agree ... your freedom is not freedom
edit on 18-2-2012 by pilot70 because: spelling

edit on 18-2-2012 by pilot70 because: same

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Do you think there would be a lot more outrage if there was any other ethnicity on this effigy in NYC?: A mannequin symbolizing a Muslim in a keffiyeh, strapped to a "Made in the USA" bomb display at a protest of Park51 in New York City.

Islam is not an ethnicity, but a religion. It is an opinion, much like atheism, christianity or being a republican or democrat. Opinionated people ought to grow a thick skin and deal with the fact that they are gonna get criticised, sometimes harshly.
edit on 18/2/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

edit on 18/2/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Show me "ANY" Christians dancing in the streets after OK Bombing, etc. I don't know anyone who is afraid of being assassinated for drawing cartoons of the pope.

I know there are good Muslim people in the world but why are they not outraged at what has become of they're reputations? Why don't we hear from these "good" Muslims? They don't seem to have much to say... Hmmm.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLDRAFT

I know there are good Muslim people in the world but why are they not outraged at what has become of they're reputations? Why don't we hear from these "good" Muslims? They don't seem to have much to say... Hmmm.
Do you really KNOW that?? or is that what the msm spoon feeds hoping that we will believe it if they repeat it often enough. If they do not condemn the actions, they condone them.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Okay you got me on that one. I mean "statistically" there has to be some good Muslims. I don't know any Muslim, good or bad. Mmmmkay?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by pilot70

All of your examples is attempts to subdue freedom of speech .... the last one is freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech means just that, the right to openly speak against the things you disagree with ...

You are making yourself a spokesperson for the opposite of democracy and freedom eg. political correctness - some opinions are ok ... some talk is ok ... as long as I agree ... your freedom is not freedom
edit on 18-2-2012 by pilot70 because: spelling

edit on 18-2-2012 by pilot70 because: same

Hate speech is, outside the law, any communication that disparages a person or a group on the basis of some characteristic such as race, color, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or other characteristic.
en.wikipedia.org...

freedom of speech is not a free-for-all - there are limits

to pretend we don't understand these limits is a little childish - and transparent

the OP has made an excellent point - and he's not wrong...the level of anti-Muslim rhetoric in this and other countries is alarming. Go back through history and think about every time a specific group became the target of this kind of 'free speech' - then look at what came after

words aren't harmless - and the right to free speech is not unrestricted - for good reason

edit on 2/18/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hate speech is just another way of saying thought crime. You do not have the right to never get your feelings hurt. Political correctness is killing the US. Today we mourn the passing of a free country. RIP America 4 July 1776-15 Dec 2011. 235 years you lasted as land of the free home of the brave. When the brave were replaced by the politically correct the free were enslaved. Political correctness is a cancer on our soul.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

What you forget that in the US criticizing a religion, any religion is par for course. It has never been wrong in the medias eyes for "intellectuals" to criticize religion. Hell it's like their duty. But since Islam is perceived as the "underdog", due to mostly to the fact that it was not one most of them grew up around, it is given the condescending protection of said intellectuals. And when those proclaimed to be the brains do something the lesser minds follow.
edit on 18-2-2012 by hangedman13 because: missed a word

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLDRAFT

What would you say if every time a priest molested a child, millions of Catholics danced in the streets?
What would you say if after the OK bombing, millions of Christians danced in the streets?
What would you say if after the Columbine shootings, millions of christians danced in the streets?

Oh I forgot, that only happens when Islamists commit atrocities. That must mean something....

millions? :-)

well...would it be OK to denounce all Catholics - if that actually happened?
could we then go on to denounce all Christians - if they also danced in the streets?

you might as well whine 'they started it', stomp your feet and then pout a little...

are we a nation of rational adults trying to maintain a system that provides basic freedoms that work for everyone and also interacts with it's neighbors in a mature and responsible fashion - or are we a nation of petulant children that bites back when we get bit?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

freedom of speech is not a free-for-all - there are limits

Yep! Unfortunately they don't apply to minorities.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Right, so you have no proof of your accusations?

Again, show them to me. Of course I have seen groups of muslim extremists dancing in the streets, a few hundred at a time at the mention of American deaths sure.

The Westoboro Baptist Church thanks god when soldiers die. I don't see us declaring war on them?

Again, if you are just going to make wild accusations and claim that "millions of muslims" dance in the street when Americans are killed, and then not provide a source when requested, then don't be surprised if I dismiss you and your opinion.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

well...would it be OK to denounce all Catholics - if that actually happened?
could we then go on to denounce all Christians - if they also danced in the streets?

The answer to both questions is yes... if you are a Muslim. That's exactly what they do, and many of you are here defending it. So... Yeah, I reckon it is OK!

See ya,
Milt
edit on 18-2-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Well is would certainly be time to start asking questions about Catholics and Christians but thankfully that is not the case. The fact that we see this kind of behavior from Muslims does not make you concerned with this religion?

Too many people give popular Muslim behavior a pass, not sure why. Usually the why is because something "we" have done. Its always our fault. Go figure. Death to us!

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
islam as a religion is dangerous. The super hardcore muslims blow stuff up along with them selves not only as a way of fighting the americans but also bc they're nuts. "kill the infidels"...? You don't see hardcore Buddhist bombing others because they worship a different imaginary god. Even christianity hasnt been this violent in hundreds of years. I see everyone as me, i know their beliefs and ideals are superficial. But that isn't to say they aren't dangerous

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13

What you forget that in the US criticizing a religion, any religion is par for course. It has never been wrong in the medias eyes for "intellectuals" to criticize religion. Hell it's like their duty. But since Islam is perceived as the "underdog", due to mostly to the fact that it was not one most of them grew up around, it is given the condescending protection of said intellectuals. And when those proclaimed to be the brains do something the lesser minds follow.
edit on 18-2-2012 by hangedman13 because: missed a word

the battles that have always existed in this country between the Catholics, Protestants, Jews and let's just throw in Atheists - were never going to result in those people being arrested, indefinitely imprisoned, placed in detention camps, deported...

there is absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing Islam - the politics or actions of Islamic countries

but intimidating speech - and speech used as a tool or a weapon is another story

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join