It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debunking Myths on Conspiracy Theories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I found this article a very interesting read. Now, I'm on ATS because I believe in some pretty extraordinary stuff. I have never debunked anything in my life. But, I do think its wise to view issues from both sides before making a decision on a belief.

The purpose of this article is to redress a number of general myths concerning so-called 'conspiracy theories', repeated by media organisations and other self-proclaimed guardians of the orthodoxy, as well as people who have been erroneously convinced that conspiracy theories are intellectual aberrations rather than the acknowledgment of a common historical and social phenomenon.

This document does not claim that every event is the product of a conspiracy. It remains true, however, that conspiracies are far more common than admitted by the establishment. Whether conspiracy or coincidence was involved, we believe that the matter should be arbitrated by evidence rather than falsehoods on the alleged motives or state of minds of alternative researchers.

For the purposes of this guide, the article's author defines a conspiracy theory as...

A theory detailing the involvement of two or more people who have secretly or otherwise conspired to commit an act that is against the public interest, and furthermore who may have conspired to cover up these acts in concert with the media and other authorities.

It continues...

If the entity is alleged to be a participating actor in a conspiracy, then its existence must be proven and the entire claim must be treated as a conspiracy theory.

The article continues with 48 myths and conspiracies. Check it out!

Debunking Myths...

edit on 18-2-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Do you see the term 'debunking' to represent some cardinal sin in the 'conspiracy world'?

I something can be proven to be false, it should be.

If you want to live a life free of delusion then 'debunking' is necessary.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabhac-rua
reply to post by Cosmic911

Do you see the term 'debunking' to represent some cardinal sin in the 'conspiracy world'?

I something can be proven to be false, it should be.

If you want to live a life free of delusion then 'debunking' is necessary.

You're right...you have know what you believe is the truth.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
i never used to give a # about any of this stuff most people dont want to know the truth . all that changed on the 11th of sept 2001 .i looked at my watch and thought what the fxxx . americas 5 hours behind not that day i live in the uk & heard it in the am . go figure that 1 hello the rabbit hoooooooole

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Part of the "debunking" problem is that some of the so-called debunkers will disprove/prove one thing, then carry on as though the entire theory has been disproved. For example, it somehow "proven" (I'm still a tad skeptical) that shot were indeed fired from the 6th floor window of the DBD in 1963. The conclusion seemed to be, "hey, ok, this means Oswald Did It." Err..not quite. Still have to put THAT gun in HIS hand at THAT particular moment from THAT particular location - something that, Vincent Bugliosi's mass murder of forests notwithstanding - they have failed to do.

My point is this - be very careful with "debunked conspiracy myths". It may well be fact - or it could all be "duck butts", if you catch my drift.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Kyprian

i was an avid watcher of the x files the smocking man aka george hw bush aka curious george cartoon .both men died for taking the piss out of hw bush .curious george was nicola teslas name for him as a child running about his lab where his dad was a clerk .ive seen presidents die was a quote from the smocking man .old george was never questioned about what he was doing over the road at the time of the shooting .ive read richard hoaglands monuments of mars book geo hw bush gets a good mention in it . in 1999 nasa droped a probe into juipeter & saturn with 60 pounds of plutoniam in them maybe trying to ignite a second sun nice man eh .where nasa are droping old satelites at 50 to 80 tonns each at speeds of 5000 + mph is interesting all 19.47 d . thats my party piece to quiz all idiots what time they heardabout 911 . i like the blank look you get back check out www. wellaware1 dallas goldgerg one on the news usa

new topics

top topics

join