It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of the Full-Time Salaried Job

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Source article here

This is an ugly trend. It has been this way in Detroit for years. If you get hired, in general, you start as a temp. If they like you they keep you, when they make you a permanent employee the cost for you actually goes way down because the temp agency takes a cut of almost 50%. But even then your job could be eliminated at any time with little or no warning.

Companies are hiring more free agents than ever before because they save money and acquire niche expertise to solve specific business problems. This is different from full-time salaried workers who get benefits and are generalists in their fields. In 2009, companies hired 28% more freelancers, and now in 2012, they are hiring 36% more, reports CareerBuilder. John Challenger, the CEO of Challenger, Gray & Christmas, says that “another benefit of hiring freelancers is that during slow periods, [companies] don’t have to hold onto them.” Companies are moving toward a “hire at will” recruiting strategy and away from a “hire for life” one.

My present gig, I was a direct hire, company has no debt, and has been systematically buying out competitors. I really like it here. But it seems too good to last.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

Exactly the same thing going on across europe. I think in about two generation the term full time will be something they will be reading about in google or bing as " history "

join