It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was this an Astronomical event or an UFO?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
A few years ago, I was in a road trip with my wife and daughter when we notice a strange bright light in the sky. It was late in the afternoon, the sky was clear and the sun was not visible (behind small hill) but was still above the horizon. We were commenting that it was probably Venus though it appeared to be much brighter, when I made my first error as an observer; I said that the object seemed to be inside the Earth atmosphere. This is common when you look at Venus but it conditioned my reasoning for what came after. We were following the road in the image (the arrow shows the direction of the sighting and the circles show bridges that were closed: the reason why we were doing that road), having the object in sight when all of a sudden, the object became much brighter (10 times or more what it was before). My first reaction was “that can’t be Venus” and the idea that it was inside the atmosphere cemented. After 5 or 10 seconds, the light dimmed out and 2 lights flashing quickly side-by-side one at a time became visible. This last for a few seconds and then disappeared. Definitely that was not Venus and I quickly classified that as an UFO.

Yesterday, as I was recalling the sighting, trying to be as objective as possible, a different picture begun to form in my mind for the whole subject: did we have the chance to witness an astronomical catastrophic event, such as a supernova or something like that, that ended up in less than a minute (my time of viewing … the bright light could have been in the sky for many hours before we notice it). If that was an object that exploded that explains everything, even the flashing lights, that now I can say were probably the result of scintillation caused by the atmosphere on a faraway source of light that extinguished as it cool down very quickly.
My regrets: I didn’t wrote the day (I thought I would never forget … I can’t even pinpoint the year but the closed bridges can be used to know when it happened); I didn’t look at the night sky …. I took no action.
Well, that's it. What do you thing we observed?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 2timesOO

It sounds like you may have spotted an airplane high in the air. The sunlight reflecting off of it would have diminished as it turned, and you might have spotted its navigation lights for a moment before it grew too dim to see. It certainly wasn't astronomical.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

No, I don't think you nail it. I understand what your are saying but it was not a question of perspective. For a plane to reflect that amount of light it had to be massive!!! It was in a fixed position, like Venus would be for the time of the observation.
Thanks.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
You saw aliens from the planet Zarg in their new TBz-303 flying through swamp gas on their way to Venus whilst passing through our atmosphere. You know what they say though?.... Photo's or it didnt happen! lol

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

i believe a super nova would be visible for a long time.
remember the hale-bop comet, i watched that for a good week or so!

maybe space junk burning up on entry!

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Chinese lanterns, swamp gas, youre an idiot, liar or both. Sadly, the dry skeptic, trigger happy response, while understandable, is what has caused a decline in these types of posts in the past years. Sadly, the political, warmongering threads have been on a rise.

Ats, why u no go back to what u were?

PS:
Not directed at you specifically, reficul, I pushed the wrong reply button. Apologies.
edit on 18-2-2012 by Snoopy1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
if you wanna know the truth about UFO www.timetravelconspiracy.com...

remember me when i'm gone

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by therealoverdose

Where are you going?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

ha ha ha! i was wondering what the heck you were talking about!!!
no problem any way
peace

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Yes, it's possible.
Thank you.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
reply to post by reficul

Chinese lanterns, swamp gas, youre an idiot, liar or both. Sadly, the dry skeptic, trigger happy response, while understandable, is what has caused a decline in these types of posts in the past years. Sadly, the political, warmongering threads have been on a rise.

Ats, why u no go back to what u were?

PS:
Not directed at you specifically, reficul, I pushed the wrong reply button. Apologies.
edit on 18-2-2012 by Snoopy1978 because: (no reason given)

SO what you are looking for is a site like this

I saw a ufo

well done s+f

I saw a ghost

well done s+f

Aliens took me in their ship and gave me a good old probing!

Oh
s+f anyway

Now whats the fun in that

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

We were commenting that it was probably Venus though it appeared to be much brighter, when I made my first error as an observer; I said that the object seemed to be inside the Earth atmosphere. This is common when you look at Venus but it conditioned my reasoning for what came after. We were following the road in the image (the arrow shows the direction of the sighting and the circles show bridges that were closed: the reason why we were doing that road), having the object in sight when all of a sudden, the object became much brighter (10 times or more what it was before). My first reaction was “that can’t be Venus” and the idea that it was inside the atmosphere cemented. After 5 or 10 seconds, the light dimmed out and 2 lights flashing quickly side-by-side one at a time became visible. This last for a few seconds and then disappeared. Definitely that was not Venus and I quickly classified that as an UFO.

A few years ago, I saw something similar. Except that the brightness didn't linger, it all happened very fast. It didn't look like it was anywhere in our atmosphere, at all.

It was in the fall of 2006, and I was looking at a star for most of the night, up around Orion. We were at an outdoor birthday party. I was showing my husband the star as we were walking home - it was the brightest one in the sky.

Well, all of a sudden it grew much bigger for just a fast moment, and completely disappeared. At the same time we both said WTF and looked at each other.

I looked and looked on the internet, trying to find any space event that could have caused it, and I couldn't find anything, anywhere. Not even anything that would give that type of effect. It didn't linger at all. Just gone, suddenly.

It looked like when something in a sci-fi show, goes into hyperdrive and vanishes away.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Thank you for sharing.
What really troubles me is that I don't know what we saw that day ... and most probably we will never know. But it profoundly affected me.
Regards

edit on 20-2-2012 by 2timesOO because: Grammar!

top topics

join