It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stonehenge design was 'inspired by sounds'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Stonehenge design was 'inspired by sounds'

www.bbc.co.uk

"Music could have been an inspiration for the design of Stonehenge, according to an American researcher.

Steven Waller's intriguing idea is that ancient Britons could have based the layout of the great monument, in part, on the way they perceived sound.

He has been able to show how two flutes played in a field can produce an auditory illusion that mimics in space the position of the henge's pillars.

Mr Waller presented the idea at the AAAS meeting in Vancouver, Canada.

He told the BBC: "My theory is that the ancient Britons, when they were hearing two pipers in a field, were ex
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The secret sounds of Stonehenge

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Firstly ,I have searched for the exact headline and it was not found so will post this story.

An interesting theory that the stones are placed according to the areas where 2 sound waves may cancel each other out.Mention in the articles is made of an experiment which demonstrated this ,however i have not been able to find any reference to it so far however the idea seems pretty sound imo, especially if have ever seen interference patterns etc.

I dont think this or any other theory on stonehenge can ever be proven , but i do find the theory as interesting as others

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Obviously. What would you do if all you had was drugs and a drum? Time to build some rocks?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAnswerTo1984

it wasnt a drum , it was a flute, to get the pattern

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
not that this necessarily contradicts this theory, but it's something to consider...
www.newscientist.com...

Most of the one million visitors who visit Stonehenge on Salisbury Plain every year believe they are looking at untouched 4,000-year-old remains. But virtually every stone was re-erected, straightened or embedded in concrete between 1901 and 1964, says a British doctoral student.

"What we have been looking at is a 20th-century landscape, reminiscent of what Stonehenge might have looked like thousands of years ago," says Brian Edwards, a student at the University of the West of England in Bristol.

How They Rebuilt Stonehenge

For decades the official Stonehenge guidebooks have been full of fascinating facts and figures and theories surrounding the world's greatest prehistoric monument. What the glossy brochures do not mention, however, is the systematic rebuilding of the 4,000 year old stone circle throughout the 20th Century. The restoration has been kept elusive and a large percentage of vacationers sitting in their hotels in London, planning a trip to the monument, have no idea that they aren't getting the full story."

This picture shows workers on the site in 1901 in a restoration which caused outrage at the time but which is rarely referred to in official guidebooks. For it means that Stonehenge, jewel in the crown of Britain's heritage industry, is not all it seems. Much of what the ancient site's millions of visitors see in fact dates back less than 50 years.

edit on Sat Feb 18 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Just a llong shot, you dont suppose they built this on a crop circle do ya ? are we supposed to be 3D / 4D ing the crops ?!, assisting the earths harmonics or something flash cool

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Studied this...fascinating info out there if you look for it.

Stonehenge has the capacity to create "Binaural beats" if the instruments are positioned correctly within the circle....not a fluke... seems to be a reasonable explanation for the design itself.

Paleo-acoustics can be fascinating if you look deep enough into them...there are some sites out there that have no apparent usage other than this....enjoy your trip to discovery....
edit on 2/18/2012 by Damrod because: spelling

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Yeah, maybe, maybe it was built for flutes. Why not make a joyful noise, why not re-invent the wheel
but I have to go with this documentary

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

gambon,
This is a very interesting idea as to what the stone shapes are based upon, sound, because I do believe it was once used is rituals that involed a huge amount of sound. This is a great article, good link! I myself can not wait to visit Stonehenge & learn all the mystery it has to come with!
Thank you for sharing this knowledge!! Cool Thread!

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 1825114

Thanks for the info. It's a shame that they feel they have to hide this info from the public.
It still doesn't discredit the mystery of it all or the accomplishment of the original architects, it just taints what we see now, not knowing how pure the intentions were of those who did the refurbishing.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gambon

My personal feeling is that... somehow, Stonehenge and Göbekli Tepe are related. Not necessarily in a direct way, but from a common time or... maybe, antediluvian civilization.

Sound? Music? Star alignment? Seasonal observations? Religious gather station? Ancient brewery???

No matter. Right now, our mainscream science folks aren't about to open the doors to anything that doesn't fit their prefabricated notions of human societal evolution.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

It's possible but not very likely. Gobekli-tepe is about twice as old (actually more than that) as stonehenge...I invest some time into this one and this is one I know....

I like the fun ideas of merging histories...but they don't merge for a reason...cause they don't work....

There was no transatlantic travel prior to what we know....was it Columbus?...no..actually the vikings made it here first....proven....don't argue...this is not open to debate...the long walls have been found and predate columbus by many years...so drop the denial....

I do study paleo-acoustics and Stonehenge has some remarkable qualities...eve if you are not clever enough to see the,....I won't go into it...

I'm a newb and no one respects a newb...when I have some tenure, I'll explain an obvious marker that people seem to ignore....which is going to make some folks angry....sorry...but the truth sucks...especially when you are trying to hoodwink folks and steal their cash....

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

edit on 18-2-2012 by threewhiteeyes because: victory is mine!

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by threewhiteeyes

Ok, that backfired. Newbquest, out.

new topics

top topics

join