It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent Black stand up....are you laughing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Seriously, i watch tv late at night as a restaurant employee. Comedy central seems to show black comics late at night (which is a conspiracy in itself).

I find that none of it is even remotely funny.

I was curious if anyone did....

now don't get me wrong, i grew up enjoying countless black comedians, being tv or stand up.

however, what is being shown recently has absolutely no comic value whatsoever.

Can anyone give me a reason that this crap is being broadcast?

(no racist comments please as my best friends growing up were non-Caucasian)
edit on 18-2-2012 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I don't think it's a matter of some black comedians being perceived as unfunny, more as it is a matter of modern comedy in general lacking greatly. Black, white, purple, or grey alien, comedy in my opinion has severely declined overall.

Good point about the late-night thing, though. Conspiracy!

edit on 18-2-2012 by ofNight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I hate that Chris Rock can say "crackerass cracker" and no one calls him a racist.

But when when Kramer says the N word, his carreer is over.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Wow i find it really odd that you posted that, i know exactly what you mean! I love stand up! I watch it on demand a lot, and anymore it's all black comedians. That used to not be a bad thing, but anymore...well they just aren’t funny
Nice

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

well, there has always been that double standard in comedy. it's still racism, and fueling the fire of what most of us have let go

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

that's my point. not even remotely funny to anyone IMO. why is this even being propagated? are they getting the ratings ?? i can't imagine.

the same goes for all the tyler perry sitcoms.....horrendous. .

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Like Anomymous states, "We don't forget. We don't forgive." Racial memories die hard.
Bottom line, given the situation of many blacks, they don't think they are seen as equal and never will be.

I'm not trying to make any excuses or even a statement, merely pointing out what could be the reason why black comedians are in this vein. Perhaps, their current style is expressing a form of crude, over-reacting freedom that needs to be seen as ironic or, no pun intended, as black humor on their current situation. Which could be stated as, "Here we are, and we still got nothin'."

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

First and foremost, please forgive my vernacular, but I need to say this right out. When Chris rock said "cracker-ass cracker" he was making a joke that the most racist people are old black men. When George Carlin said the word "'n-word'" he made the point that it isn't the word that is bad, it's the racist attitude of the guy saying it. When that guy who played Kramer said "'n-word'" he was verbally bashing a heckler in as vile a way as possible. Think about it.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
As a white male. I feel blacks should be able to say cracker and whites should be able to say n word. Even though on ATS i can say cracker but would get kicked off if i actually said n word. Let people think what they want. Blacks want their own culture and whites want theirs. but when im with a black person, hate and racism never crosses my mind. whites and blacks are racist so what. From my experience, the most racist white people i know have closer relationships with black folks...even supremacist group members....but NO its not funny anymore ...will there ever be another eddie murphy?
edit on 19-2-2012 by avatard because: ms

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I hate that Chris Rock can say "crackerass cracker" and no one calls him a racist.

But when when Kramer says the N word, his carreer is over.

It's very simple, whites never allowed any term to have such power or kick, so NO attempted slam word has ever gained a foothold. By making a word taboo, you give it power, and the ONLY way to take that power away, is to remove the taboo, simple as that.

The OP is right though, for most recent comics (regardless of color). There are exceptions though. I love Tosh for example. He's pretty much open about everything whether it's racist, homophobic, etc. and that total honesty is pretty refreshing.

That said, I'd love to see someone show up on the scene to be the next Bill Cosby, Eddie Murphy, or Richard Pryor though. Those guys were hysterical in the day.
edit on 23-2-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join