It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America Bashing is getting a bit out of hand.....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
People didn't defend that Nazi's in WW2 when most people hated on them. Or Russians during the Cold War, or the Vietcong during Vietnam, or Terrorists during the last decade.

Yeah, and not all Germans were Nazis. Are you suggesting all Americans are "bad"?

So now that the US finds itself in the crosshairs of the rest of the world, for being imperials, war mongering and freedom removing oligarchs, they jump in the air and cry foul.

"Are you suggesting all Americans are "bad""? Apparently so! How do you know me so well, how do you know that me, and all my neighbors, family and friends are "imperials", "war-mongering", and "freedom removing oligarchs"?

How did you get this awesome knowledge? And what other secrets does it hold?

Or, are you lumping us all together in a massive stereotype? And, isn't that a bad thing? I mean, doesn't seem to T&C to me, to say an American is bad just because of where he/she was born. Almost like racism, if Amercian was a race of course...

It IS prejudice though.

I'm sorry America, the truth hurts and you aren't number 1 anymore. It's to take your licks like everybody else whose been under your boot and come to terms with who you are, and what you have become.

Truth does not hurt, insults hurt. In this case the insult and the truth are close, though as I have shown I am not my country. So it would be better stated that your "half-truth prejudice" hurts.

The only way to get people to stop being mean to you, is to stop being mean to others. You are judged by the actions of your government on the world stage, regardless of whether or not that reflects the wants and opinions or actions of the populace at large.

Really? So I can make others do things? Or is this statement starting to sound silly. If I want others to stop being mean to me, I show them that they are being mean. Hopefully they can see their horrid behavior, and it stops. Of course, that rarely happens.

Needless to say, this could be better stated as:

"The only way to get people to stop being prejudice, is pray to a god." (Of course, they will hate you because it won't be their god.)

That's just the way it is.

THAT's the truth!

PS: I am American, and proud. I will get my country back, or I will die trying. What about these "bashers", you lobbying for any change, other than change of keyboards due to overuse...
edit on 2/18/2012 by adigregorio because: Grammar nazis (Ha!)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Starred and flagged.I will read more when I am fully charged
and not winding down for the evening.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I couldn't agree more with you Wrabbit. The UK is the one nation that has stood by America, more than any other country in the world. We have always been the first to give America military assistance [though in reality, she does not need it] and we always strive to maintain the special relationship between our two countries, more often than not at the expense of our own citizens.

There is a rub, however. Whilst we are more than willing to accept your own laws on say, extradition of suspected criminals, America does not reciprocate. That Sir, really rankles and this is the basis for so much discord with the United States.

On the whole America treats some of her allies very much like the distant cousin who, though useful now and again, you wouldn't invite to dinner because they're not good enough for you to be seen with.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

You certainly misunderstand what I am trying to say. The people of America are wonderful, nothing wrong with most of them. It's just baffling that you don't understand why a big portion of the world's people dislike you.

Your government has done bad things. To just about everybody. And the ones that your government missed, the corporations picked up the slack. There's just a reality that exists in which the United States does not have a good image on the world stage.

There are reasons why it doesn't. Most of them aren't manufactured. Again I must stress that I hold no hard feelings on the people of the US. My countrymen are just as guilty of being complacent and allowing tyrants to make the rules and pocket the profits.

Knowing this doesn't mean I love my country any less, it just means I am ashamed of it's people for not realizing how much trouble it was in, and taking the necessary steps to fix it.

I hope you do reclaim your country, that would certainly be enough to cause global uprisings and perhaps a true chance at freedom.

It would also make the rest of the world respect you again. And not for the wrong reasons.

~Tenth
edit on 2/19/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

You certainly misunderstand what I am trying to say. The people of America are wonderful, nothing wrong with most of them. It's just baffling that you don't understand why a big portion of the world's people dislike you.

I understand 100% why, prejudice. I even stated so in my reply above, though I admit I left out the label ignorance as well. I mean, I am not the government. And neither are the American people, and last I checked the Electoral College picks our president you can direct your judgements towards them. (And the corps that put them in power.)

As for comments like: "You are judged by the actions of your government on the world stage, regardless of whether or not that reflects the wants and opinions or actions of the populace at large."

This is the ignorance I mentioned earlier. I do not work for the government, and neither do the American people. Well, not in the way that is required for judgements to take place. Especially when people who try to change things are ridiculed as much as the rest. Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Your government has done bad things. (Not me, or the American people) To just about everybody. And the ones that your government (Not me, or the American people) missed, the corporations (Not me, or the American people) picked up the slack. There's just a reality that exists in which the United States does not have a good image on the world stage.

Bolded sections added by me
I agree, but to hate on American citizens is prejudice. I am not the corporations, I am not the government. Why not take the misplaced anger (judging) to where it is deserved?

There are reasons why it doesn't. Most of them aren't manufactured. Again I must stress that I hold no hard feelings on the people of the US. My countrymen are just as guilty of being complacent and allowing tyrants to make the rules and pocket the profits.

No hard feelings?

You've compared us to Nazi's, Communist Russia, the Vietcong, and terrorists! Furthermore, you stated things such as:

So now that the US finds itself in the crosshairs of the rest of the world, for being imperials, war mongering and freedom removing oligarchs, they jump in the air and cry foul.

I don't see you saying, "No offense citizens, just the government." No you used US. Denial is not really allowed, due to the follow up comment of:

I'm sorry America, the truth hurts and you aren't number 1 anymore. It's to take your licks like everybody else whose been under your boot and come to terms with who you are, and what you have become.

(Emphasis added)
What exactly have I, an American, become?

Knowing this doesn't mean I love my country any less, it just means I am ashamed of it's people for not realizing how much trouble it was in, and taking the necessary steps to fix it.

Not to sound un-fair, but I don't see you stepping up to the plate. Easy to critisize others for the same behavior exibited by oneself. Of course, I could be mistaken. You may contribute to "fixing" the country, I know I do the best I can.

It would also make the rest of the world respect you again. And not for the wrong reasons.

To be honest, after seeing how they treat me now...I don't have respect for them, why would I care if they respected me? Us Emurkins ain't the only fellers that needta be a learnin' and a growin' up!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

There's no prejudice here.

YOU as an American, are guilty of being complacent. Just like me, the Canadian, is guilty of being complacent.

As for whether or not I attempt to make a difference, I write about 50 letters a week to various organizations, corporations and government officials to express my opinions and wants as a Canadian Citizen. I also write open letters and op-eds for various news papers ( hardly any of them get printed, but I expect that)

Truth be told I don't have much power in the system, not being an elected official or anybody with corporate or religious influence.

All I can do is attempt to educate people and raise awareness on issues that are important to me and my family.

I'm sorry, but you can't wash your hands of responsibility for what people have done in your name. That would be more complacency. I don't expect you to start cutting yourself out of guilt, but I do expect Americans to understand why other nations don't like them. Or may not like them, because of the image that your leaders give you.

It's not a difficult thing to understand. You can cry prejudice and foul all you want, it won't change the simple fact that your government has done things in YOUR name and when YOU ( as in the people) didn't do anything about it, you were effectively signing your name at the bottom in approval.

You can certainly disagree, but it won't make it any less true.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

YOU as an American, are guilty of being complacent. Just like me, the Canadian, is guilty of being complacent.

While another American may be complacent, I am anything but. While other Americans may be complacent, my family/friends are not. While other Americans may be guilt, others are not.

To lump ALL Americans into the guilty zone, is not proper. It IS prejudice, as evident by my other points. Just because I am an American, doesn't make me guilty. Just as an African American is automatically a "gangstah". Or an Asian American can't drive properly. Those, like "Americans are " are all equal in ignorance.

As for whether or not I attempt to make a difference...

As I stated earlier, I could have been mistaken.
I was using it as sort of a "prejudice light" example. The fact that I "could be mistaken" should have been enough of a hint to not make an un-founded claim. (Which, in my defense, I did not.)

Calling Americans a Spade because the people who are in front of the cameras are, well that is again ignorance. I am not Obama, I am not Bush, hell the thousands and thousands of people living in California are neither Bush, nor Obama. Nor are we these people who are "in control". So why are we the ones attacked? (Because it is easy)

Because, easier to attack something that is not smarter than you. Easier to attack something that is not more powerful than you. Lastly, it is easier to attack something different than you.

Truth be told I don't have much power in the system, not being an elected official or anybody with corporate or religious influence.

Alright, so you admit you have little to no power. And you realize (I hope) that MILLIONS (majority) of Americans are in the same boat as you? Do you deserve to be treated like you were treating us? Do you deserve to be treated like others are treating me, and my own?

Your own admission places you in the same situation. You do the same works trying to have it repaired, but somehow Americans deserve flak for it, and Canada does not? Hypocrisy is another shade of prejudice, or at least its dirty cousin.

All I can do is attempt to educate people and raise awareness on issues that are important to me and my family.

And all I can do is attack ignorant comments, and faulty positions. And where I popped out of my mothers legs, is not enough to hate on me. Or: Just because I am an American, doesn't make me less than. No amount of "awareness" will change that fact.

I'm sorry, but you can't wash your hands of responsibility for what people have done in your name. That would be more complacency. I don't expect you to start cutting yourself out of guilt, but I do expect Americans to understand why other nations don't like them. Or may not like them, because of the image that your leaders give you.

WHAT?

What people have done in my name?

AND as I have stated SEVERAL TIMES. You do not like us becuase of prejudice. It is super simple, you are mad at me for one reason, WHERE I LIVE. If I was the same person, yet lived 2000 miles north, I would be an a-okay person.

Sorry, your judgment calls are flawed. Were a person eats, sleeps, and dies has nothing to do with their character. Sorry.

It's not a difficult thing to understand. You can cry prejudice and foul all you want, it won't change the simple fact that your government has done things in YOUR name and when YOU ( as in the people) didn't do anything about it, you were effectively signing your name at the bottom in approval.

I know it is not difficult, prejudice is a simple concept.

My people did nothing about it? I know hundreds who wrote fancy letters like you, but because we are Americans it isn't good enough to beat back the prejudice.

You can certainly disagree, but it won't make it any less true.

Nope, don't disagree this is 100 percent prejudice.

I will say I am saddened to see a moderator who has prejudice, now I will wonder if you are getting posts because they are just American, and deserve what is coming to them.

Sad day on ATS, at least for me...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Prejudice (or foredeeming) is making a judgment or assumption about someone or something before having enough knowledge to be able to do so with guaranteed accuracy, or "judging a book by its cover".

I have all the facts, I am not "pre-judging" anybody. American citizens, have not done anything ( as a group) to stop the atrocities of their government, on other people's lands.

This is what I am saying, not that an individual American is a bad person because of their government, that would be outright insanity. I'm saying that as a populace, much like the rest of the world's countries, you have failed to be vigilant.

You are framing this argument as if I spoke of individual Americans, I said no such thing. I specifically targetted the American populace as a whole, that's not me making a pre-judgement on those people, that's me stating a fact.

Did you as a populace, rise up and remove your dictator from power? Or throw out the people who ruined your country? If the answer is no, then you are complacent. Not personally, but as a group you are, end of story.

As for the if you lived 2000 miles north quote, no, you would not be an "ok" person. You'd be a complacent Canadian. No better and no worse than any other citizen of a first world nation whose done nothing to change the status quo.

As for the last part, I do not appreciate having my character assasinated. My views on the world or it's people have 0 to do with how I moderate. I use the Terms & Conditions as my guide as any other moderator here does.

If that was an attempt at showing me how "prejudging" feels, well operation successfull, but you still ( with your last post as evidence) do not seem to understand what I am trying to get at. I don't have any prejudice against any nation of the world.

I was just pointing out a fact. American citizens are responsible for their image world wide and should not complain when they feel like the world has pre-judged them because of their government, if they are unwilling to stand up and change the behavior of those who represent them.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Prejudice (or foredeeming) is making a judgment or assumption about someone or something before having enough knowledge to be able to do so with guaranteed accuracy, or "judging a book by its cover".

I have all the facts, I am not "pre-judging" anybody. American citizens, have not done anything ( as a group) to stop the atrocities of their government, on other people's lands.

Really? Then why all the backpeddling? And why did you say we (Americans) are getting what we deserve, when we the Americans (cover) did not do anything against you, the government (book) did?

You have said, firstly that we are getting what we deserve. After I pointed somethings out you changed, and stated:

"Again I must stress that I hold no hard feelings on the people of the US."

But you went right back to "hating on American citizens".

Which, is what the OPer of this thread was pointing out. How people hate on me the citizen, instead of looking at themselves or the people actually doing wrongs. In fact, they take it a step further. They continue to contribute to the system, making them MORE guilty than me, an American! I don't shop at corporations, do you? When was the last time you were in a Wal-Mart, me 12 (I think) years ago. When was the last time you filled your car with gas? Me, again about 12 years ago. I walk places, or ride a bike.

Take away the bad peoples money, that is how I fight. Well that and those fancy letters I mentioned earler. Again, I do more to fix things than the people who bash on me for things being broken. Why not put the armchair away, pack up that keyboard and vitrol towards my contrymen. Do all of that, then join in fixing the problem instead of instigating it further.

They don't call it divide and conqure for nothing...And we the people of the planet are divided...

This is what I am saying, not that an individual American is a bad person because of their government, that would be outright insanity. I'm saying that as a populace, much like the rest of the world's countries, you have failed to be vigilant.

Let me re-word this so you can see where I am coming from:
This is what I am saying, not that an individual Black person, is a bad person because of their country, that would be outright insanity. I'm saying that as a populace, much like the rest of the world's races, they have failed to be vigilant.

I changed 3 words, and that has become a racist comment. WTF?

Why is it okay to be prejudice towards an American, but no one else?

You are framing this argument as if I spoke of individual Americans, I said no such thing. I specifically targetted the American populace as a whole, that's not me making a pre-judgement on those people, that's me stating a fact.

No I am framing this argument around bigoted mindsets and behavior. I hope my paragraph above has shown that there is some serious prejudice towards me and my countrymen. All I did was replace Americans with Black Person, and Government with country. And Contries with races.

If you think that is too much of a stretch I can bring it closer to home, though I don't think I will need to.

Fact is, you do not know 2 million American citizens, so your "fact" is a prejudice opinion. Sorry, but that is the truth. Until you know the majority of people you are trying to judge, your judgment is faulty. And in this case prejudice.

Did you as a populace, rise up and remove your dictator from power? Or throw out the people who ruined your country? If the answer is no, then you are complacent. Not personally, but as a group you are, end of story.

AHHH Now we are getting to the meat.

So because I did not engage in illegal activities (Again against T&C of this site) I am to be hated and treated with malice (again bad for the T&C). Furthermore a moderator of those rules agrees that prejudice is the way I should be treated, for the only reason of being an American, and "deserving what was coming to me"

I don't see you with a pitchfork battling your evil government, am I allowed to be prejudice towards you now?

As for the if you lived 2000 miles north quote, no, you would not be an "ok" person. You'd be a complacent Canadian. No better and no worse than any other citizen of a first world nation whose done nothing to change the status quo.

Ahh, but "Complacent Canadians" aren't hated for being such. Where as I am, see the catch? And I am not complacant, just hated because of ignorant prejudice. You are in Canada, and it is okay for you to be complacent, at least to others.

-Continued in next post
edit on 2/20/2012 by adigregorio because: BB Code

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

As for the last part, I do not appreciate having my character assasinated. My views on the world or it's people have 0 to do with how I moderate. I use the Terms & Conditions as my guide as any other moderator here does.

WHAT?

You spend half a topic assassinating my character JUST BECAUSE I AM AMERICAN. And I point out how your behavior upsets me, and causes me worry. And you don't appreciate that?

Holy hell.

Well, I apologize. Though if you practiced what you preached you would not offend others with prejudice, and they would not point out such things.

If you used the T&C as a guide, the blatant prejudice towards Americans would not be present in your posts, sorry.

If that was an attempt at showing me how "prejudging" feels, well operation successfull, but you still ( with your last post as evidence) do not seem to understand what I am trying to get at. I don't have any prejudice against any nation of the world.

Nope, no prejudice against nations. Just me, and my countrymen. After all you said we are getting what we deserve.

I was just pointing out a fact. American citizens are responsible for their image world wide and should not complain when they feel like the world has pre-judged them because of their government, if they are unwilling to stand up and change the behavior of those who represent them

I do not dictate to others on how they should behave, if they chose ignorance and prejudice that is their perrogitve. But I will be damned if they try to use those in a disucssion to sway others towards hating me, for my place of residence.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
America being corrupt isn't the issue. The issue is Americans here (particularly military) who still believe that their country is the proverbial beacon of light, when the rest of us are waiting for you to rename it to Mordor.

American self-importance is the problem. The warmongering, mindlessly conservative, (and again, usually military) "USA! USA!" crowd are what the rest of us find truly annoying.

You have 85 million people unemployed and living in tents, from what I've read. You have a President who thinks your founders were the country's first domestic terrorists, and who essentially thinks your Constitution should be burnt. You are the country of origin of a large number of the world's corporations, including such out of control nightmares as Monsanto, who have the potential to bring about the extinction of virtually all life.

We know you have problems. Some of us are entirely willing to feel compassionate towards you, about said problems. The only thing about Americans that needs to go, is what Jacque Fresco identified in the third Zeitgeist movie.

"What’s the greatest country in the world?"

The true answer: I haven’t been all over the world and I don’t know enough about different cultures to answer that question. I don’t know anybody that speaks that way.

They say ‘it’s the good old USA! the greatest country in the world!’ There is no survey… ‘Have you been to India?’ - ‘No.’ Have you been to England?’ - ‘No.’ Have you been to France?’ - ‘No.’ Then what do you make your assumptions on?’ They can’t answer- they get mad at you. They say, ‘God dammit! Who the hell are you to tell me what to think?!’ You know… Don’t forget: you’re dealing with aberrated people. They are not responsible for the answers; they’re victims of culture and that means they have been influenced by their culture.

-- Jacques Fresco
edit on 21-2-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
America being corrupt isn't the issue. The issue is Americans here (particularly military) who still believe that their country is the proverbial beacon of light, when the rest of us are waiting for you to rename it to Mordor.

Again, one should practice what they preach. Have you met the millions of Americans you are judging? If I am not allowed to judge countries I have not visted, you can not judge people you HAVE NOT MET.

Hypocrisy is fun!

American self-importance is the problem. The warmongering, mindlessly conservative, (and again, usually military) "USA! USA!" crowd are what the rest of us find truly annoying.

Prejudice is the problem, as I have been stating throughout.

You think you know me because of where my house is located, or because you know other people who live near me that are "interesting". Guilt by association is a faulty assumption, just because I live near someone who is bad does not automatically make me bad.

You have 85 million people unemployed and living in tents, from what I've read.

How many out of these 85 million are the "bad" Americans you are referencing?

You have 85 million people unemployed and living in tents, from what I've read. You have a President who thinks your founders were the country's first domestic terrorists, and who essentially thinks your Constitution should be burnt. You are the country of origin of a large number of the world's corporations, including such out of control nightmares as Monsanto, who have the potential to bring about the extinction of virtually all life.

Again, none of these things are American citizens, so why do you hate on them? Why not hate on all that other stuff instead? (Because it is not as easy to attack...nor as fun.)

We know you have problems. Some of us are entirely willing to feel compassionate towards you, about said problems...

Everyone has problems, my problems are no better or worse than anothers. And if you think our problems cause us to deserve anger and hatred, well prejudice clouds judgment like that.

... The only thing about Americans that needs to go, is what Jacque Fresco identified in the third Zeitgeist movie.

"What’s the greatest country in the world?"

The true answer: I haven’t been all over the world and I don’t know enough about different cultures to answer that question. I don’t know anybody that speaks that way.

They say ‘it’s the good old USA! the greatest country in the world!’ There is no survey… ‘Have you been to India?’ - ‘No.’ Have you been to England?’ - ‘No.’ Have you been to France?’ - ‘No.’ Then what do you make your assumptions on?’ They can’t answer- they get mad at you. They say, ‘God dammit! Who the hell are you to tell me what to think?!’ You know… Don’t forget: you’re dealing with aberrated people. They are not responsible for the answers; they’re victims of culture and that means they have been influenced by their culture.

"How many Americans are deserving of hatred?

The true answer: I haven't met that many Americans, and I don't know enough Americans to answer that question. I don't know the majority.

They say 'It's the stupid AmeriKans!" There is no survey, 'Have you met an Indana resident?' - No. 'Have you met someone from Wyoming?' - 'No'. 'Have you met a Oklahoman?' - 'No'. Then what do you make your assumptions on?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I am going to bow out of this conversation after this post, as you don't seem to be willing to understand what I am trying to say. You claim I have prejudice, which is entirely untrue and claim that I am ignorant, which again is entirely untrue.

But Americans like you are really the crux of the problem, refusing to take responsibility for the actions of your leaders and then crying foul when somebody ( namely those wronged by your nation) ask you to do so.

Everybody wants to love America, trust me, they would very much love to have respect and appreciation for your great country. But until you as a populace do something about it, don't complain about "prejudice" against your citizens.

You have a poor world image. Doesn't matter that you didn't contribute to it, if you want it to change, then you all must be the change you want to see.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I am going to bow out of this conversation after this post, as you don't seem to be willing to understand what I am trying to say. You claim I have prejudice, which is entirely untrue and claim that I am ignorant, which again is entirely untrue.

Fair enough, but you shouldn't "bow out" by continuing the discussion. As for unwilling to understand, I understand what you are saying. It is the actions that are speaking louder than the words.

But Americans like you are really the crux of the problem, refusing to take responsibility for the actions of your leaders and then crying foul when somebody ( namely those wronged by your nation) ask you to do so.

Do you know how the president of my country is picked? Google "Electoral College"

Get mad at them, they pick the president.

As for me, I do my best to fix things. Like I stated above, I do MORE than you do to fix your country. Yet, I am the problem? Thank you for demonstraiting the very behavior I have been talking about. I mean text-book case, sure smells like it.

Furthermore, last I checked people took responsiblity for their own actions. Why am I punished because someone, who I had no descision in choosing, in power over me is bad. Should the ex-slaves had been punished because their owners were slavers? Doesn't make too much sense to me...

Everybody wants to love America, trust me, they would very much love to have respect and appreciation for your great country. But until you as a populace do something about it, don't complain about "prejudice" against your citizens.

What happened to not having a beef with us US citizens? I thought it was the big bad government, and not the millions of people you have never met?

You have a poor world image. Doesn't matter that you didn't contribute to it, if you want it to change, then you all must be the change you want to see.

I have a poor image because people are prejudice, and express anger towards things they know nothing about. Or at least do not have enough facts to make a precise judgement.

Anyway, bow on out if you wish. I don't expect to change minds, prejudice is thick like that. I do notice you avoided my racial paragraph like the plague
I only changed three words, and if I had posted that paragraph in a relevant thread it would have been pulled. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. But change the words around to Americans and it is fair game.

But, like I said, prejudice is thick like that.

EDIT (Here is that paragraph, to refresh memories: )

Originally posted by adigregorio
Let me re-word this so you can see where I am coming from:
This is what I am saying, not that an individual Black person, is a bad person because of their country, that would be outright insanity. I'm saying that as a populace, much like the rest of the world's races, they have failed to be vigilant.

I changed 3 words, and that has become a racist comment. WTF?

Why is it okay to be prejudice towards an American, but no one else?

edit on 2/21/2012 by adigregorio because: Refreshing the memories

edit on 2/21/2012 by adigregorio because: To remove an unwanted smiley

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio

Again, one should practice what they preach. Have you met the millions of Americans you are judging? If I am not allowed to judge countries I have not visted, you can not judge people you HAVE NOT MET.

Hypocrisy is fun!

I'm not a hypocrite at all. I've seen plenty of the type of Americans that I referred to in the earlier post, here on ATS. The OP was talking about American bashing on ATS. I was responding, based on my observation of American posters on ATS.

Have I met all 350 million odd domestic Americans? Of course not. I was referring exclusively to those that I have observed on this forum.
edit on 21-2-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Aha! Thank you for the clarification!

I apologize for my misunderstanding, under fire so often I am quick to the defense.

Do I agree about ATS harboring those types of Americans, sure. But again I know just as many, if not more of the "good" kind.

The only apple that should be judged is the spoiled one, leave the bunch out of it. (That's my opinion, not a command or anything.)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
The recent events in Afghanistan totally illustrate what I was saying about Americans. The situation in Afghanistan was, slowly, settling down to a relatively peaceful transition to the ANA and the ANP.

Then some American idiot - and I choose my words wisely, decided to burn copies of the Qur'an taken from suspected terrorists. That the holy books were allegedly being used to pass messages amongst the detainees, is open to question but none-the-less, if true, is nothing more than what shot down American pilots did when captured in Viet Nam.

Surely, those who command even at the most basic levels within the US military have reasonable levels of intelligence and surely their actions were not designed to inflame an already delicate situation.

I just wish that people would think laterally and outside the box and think about the consequencies of their actions.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

i don't think that most people hate the americans, after all the americans are people just the same as the rest of us .
it is just that a few of the american posters on here seem to relish war .
they come out with statements such as , we will bomb iran into the stone age or we will turn iran into a glass parking lot.
the most important thing in all this ,is that they are people who just want to live out their lives in peace , just the same as everyone else.
i am from the uk and just the same as americans we have no control of our governments , they promise to work for a better system whilst they are touting for our votes and when they win the seat they forget all the promises they made .

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by tom.farnhill

i don't think that most people hate the americans, after all the americans are people just the same as the rest of us.

I am inclined to believe that reading this site would probably be a more enjoyable experience without the American military, to be honest. Some of the troops are intelligent, but intelligent soldiers fairly consistently appear to be the minority. The degree of ignorance and the lack of intelligence among them are not the biggest problem; it is when said ignorance is paired with their usual degree of adamance that civilians should share their perspectives, that there is a problem.

I can live with the troops being brainwashed, and having both the emotional and intellectual profile of the average rottweiler; I just wish that, while being that way, they'd stop so aggressively insisting that they're not.

edit on 25-2-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

This stuff is all fine and dandy, but that doesn't explain what gives these others the right to blanket millions of people with prejudice judgments.

Even "the military" is a bit of a stretch without evidence. You use the example of a "few soliders" burning books, and all of a sudden the WHOLE military complex is bad.

Really, is it just because of that book burning?

For me, the military would be bad because they condone what the leaders are doing. (Or, "just following orders") Seems like a way better reason to be upset with them, rather than a few who burn books.

Furthermore, the military is still a group that has less people than the general populace. Again, one spoiled apple should not cause the entire bunch to be thrown out. No one does that in real life, so why do it in the fake one.

(I have never met a person that would throw out a bag of apples, because one of the apples was not "fresh" (real apples this time))

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join