It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Despite safety worries, research on deadly bird flu to be released

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

m.timesofindia.com

WASHINGTON: The full details of recent experiments that made a deadly flu virus more contagious will be published, probably within a few months, despite recommendations by the United States that some information be kept secret for fear that terrorists could use it to start epidemics.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
What do you guys make of this decision??
I haven't researched much on this but in my view, it can be catastrophic if some fanatic groups get their hands on it.
Why in the hell we have to take such risks??
I think these types of 'potential' weapons are most dangerous.
Call me conspiracy lover, but i think if someone(???) could use as a method of effective population control in so called 'overpopulated poor' countries in the world and blame some radical elements...

m.timesofindia.com

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
THIS IS BONKERS LOL this is serious guys the modified virus is so dangerous it could be used for bio-warfare, if it falls into the wrong hands, millions would be infected!!!!!

This is a good time to protest against the release or have our government or someone else force this not to! Here is an article back in 2011 and now this year of 2012 it will be released to your average joes. I can't believe these crazy people are doing this. This is no different then a zombie virus being released publicly to be enhanced for someone else to make it worser so they could awaken the dead and eat people.

'Anthrax isn't scary at all compared to this': Man-made flu virus with potential to wipe out many millions if it ever escaped is created in research lab

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER Last updated at 3:36 PM on 28th November 2011

A group of scientists is pushing to publish research about how they created a man-made flu virus that could potentially wipe out civilisation. The deadly virus is a genetically tweaked version of the H5N1 bird flu strain, but is far more infectious and could pass easily between millions of people at a time. The research has caused a storm of controversy and divided scientists, with some saying it should never have been carried out.

www.dailymail.co.uk... -frightened-scientist.html[
edit on 18-2-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Two words

We're #ed

Seriously though, i thought the US government was successful in nullifying the release of the reports

edit on 18-2-2012 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
They need to stop this being released asap imo, what the hell is up with them even wanting too??....
s+f for the op btw for bringing this news to light.
edit on 18-2-2012 by mcdgray129 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
So the eugenics people state that they want to reduce the population by 90% and now we have this to be blamed on some habib living in a cave. I wish people would wake up.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by deepankarm

All this fuss is a joke - designed to keep power in Big Pharma's hands, nothing else.

FYI - Terrorists do NOT need to create dangerous pathogens, they just need to collect them. They're everywhere. And it's a whole lot cheaper and easier to take a petrie dish to Africa or South America or Indonesia and scoop up a few virulent strains of Ebola or whatever than it is to build a lab, fund it, find qualified scientists and technicians, seed stock, yada yada.

By going Open Access, this research takes power away from Big Pharma and the military industrial complex - and makes it LESS likely they will get to decide who lives or dies. ....and you can bet your butt the boyz in Big Pharma and the military industrial complex make equally dangerous crap all the time. They just don't tell anyone what they're doing.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Great so when this new bird flu mysteriously goes worldwide they will be able to blame it on the 'terrorists' !!

This could easily be the making of the biggest and most destructive false flag event in human history...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
you might want to link my " playing god " post to this. to help show how easy it will be to engineer these bugs.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It's absolute madness.

Didn't the guy who invented the atom bomb regret telling people about it? I'm sure I saw someone saying that in a TV interview.

In a few years we'll have one of these scientists saying the same thing IF he survives to tell the tale. Wouldn't surprise me if TPTB have their own working vaccine at the ready too. And ALL of these dark sciences paid for by the ordinary earth citizen. Monsters in white coats is what they are!

Who knows what else they have, it really doesn't bear thinking about.

edit on 18-2-2012 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
That's not what's being said on MSNBC and RT news. How reliable is this source?

WHO: Deadly bird flu studies to stay secret for now

GENEVA/LONDON — Two studies showing how scientists mutated the H5N1 bird flu virus into a form that could cause a deadly human pandemic will be published only after experts fully assess the risks, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.

Speaking after a high-level meeting of flu experts and U.S. security officials in Geneva, a WHO official said an agreement had been reached in principle to keep details of the controversial work secret until deeper risk analyses have been carried out.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

All this fuss is a joke - designed to keep power in Big Pharma's hands, nothing else.

FYI - Terrorists do NOT need to create dangerous pathogens, they just need to collect them. They're everywhere. And it's a whole lot cheaper and easier to take a petrie dish to Africa or South America or Indonesia and scoop up a few virulent strains of Ebola or whatever than it is to build a lab, fund it, find qualified scientists and technicians, seed stock, yada yada.

By going Open Access, this research takes power away from Big Pharma and the military industrial complex - and makes it LESS likely they will get to decide who lives or dies. ....and you can bet your butt the boyz in Big Pharma and the military industrial complex make equally dangerous crap all the time. They just don't tell anyone what they're doing.

i would pay attention to this post, it's the truth and she knows what she's talking about. the fact that the US govt didn't want it shared among researchers, scares me far more.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Dear soficrow,

You know I have great respect for you. I am only offering first thoughts. I am scientifically illiterate, so free fell to laugh at this, but at first glance I have to disagree.

And it's a whole lot cheaper and easier to take a petrie dish to Africa or South America or Indonesia and scoop up a few virulent strains of Ebola or whatever than it is to build a lab, fund it, find qualified scientists and technicians, seed stock, yada yada.
i would have thought that most of the countries in the world already have scientists, technicians, and labs. Either way they go get a virus, whether flu or Ebola, bring it back to labs and recreate it as a weapon. Perhaaps there is some reason, like Ebola is spread by body fluids and this flu virus is spread through the air. Or perhaps, Ebola has never caused a wide spread epidemic, where the flu has.

. ....and you can bet your butt the boyz in Big Pharma and the military industrial complex make equally dangerous crap all the time. They just don't tell anyone what they're doing.
The reason they don't tell anybody may not be to protect pharmaceutical companies. Maybe we shouldn't be telling anybody about this equally dangerous stuff either.

Please explain these things.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by deepankarm

m.timesofindia.com

WASHINGTON: The full details of recent experiments that made a deadly flu virus more contagious will be published, probably within a few months, despite recommendations by the United States that some information be kept secret for fear that terrorists could use it to start epidemics.

I'd rather the most dangerous things in the world be possessed by all of us rather than them only be possessed by the elite few who oppress us. It's the 2nd amendment logic only on a biological scale.

In other words, I think the government would be less likely to use this on a select demographic if they knew that anybody could use it on everybody.

Also, I guaranty that, if dangerous diseases belonged in more hands than just the government, there would be cures within months.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Hi Charles - you know I have great respect for you too, and of course I would never laugh at you. I'll try to clarify my thinking on this one (in note form, sorry).

In general, I do NOT think scientists should be creating or mucking with pathogens of any sort - even if the pathogen is benign in the lab, things have a way of evolving, and no one can guarantee that any 'strain' won't become virulent in the wild after a few mutations. Double for strains that start out virulent.

My main point is that corporate scientists routinely mess with pathogens, in every field from genetic engineering and modification to nanotechnology, using "benign" bacteria to grow computer parts for example, and more.

The two projects in question here are arguably the most benign in terms of their commitment to protecting public health (as opposed to ignoring health implications as inconsequential) - so I wonder why the focus, when so many other dangerously questionable projects are ignored.

RE: Collecting samples in petrie dishes.

The point is that our world is chock full of numerous natural deadly pathogens - bioterrorists do not need to create any, just collect them (and yes, grow and release them). ...But no nation is going to create and release a virulent airborne virus because they can't protect their own population - and the nut-jobs do not have the needed resources.

. ....and you can bet your butt the boyz in Big Pharma and the military industrial complex make equally dangerous crap all the time. They just don't tell anyone what they're doing.

The reason they don't tell anybody may not be to protect pharmaceutical companies. Maybe we shouldn't be telling anybody about this equally dangerous stuff either.

Please explain these things.

The difference between business-as-usual and this flu research is that these scientists want to release the information towards protecting public health, so everyone can benefit. That's their real crime - wanting to share their knowledge.

Truth is, our world is already contaminated with countless dangerous molecules, substances and compounds - all protected as intellectual property in the name of profit - many already causing pandemic disease.

Why is a flu virus that kills quickly more concerning than obesogens that disable their victims, rendering them unproductive and killing slowly over decades? For example.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Hmm. Given your stated interest, hope you will comment here:

UPDATE: Bird Flu Paper Publication Delayed

Else what am I to think? Only deny ignorance is it obstructs the agenda, but support that which promotes the program?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Dear soficrow,

You know I can't refuse one of your requests, so I did coment on your other thread.

I find myself agreeing with you on the subject of industrial pathogens. I am not so enamored of technology that I'm willing to run the risks of viral releases. I just don't know how to stop them.

Perhaps you're right, we can't stop univeristies and industries from creating monster bugs, so we have to have transparency to enable the good guys in labs to find treatments. But how do we force industry to surrender the intellectual property rights on their discoveries? How do we even know when they have found something?

And even with the good guys working feverishly (no pun intended) can the good guys keep up? I understand we're still working on HIV.

If we weren't playing for such high stakes, I'd find this an intriguing little puzzle.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I am not so enamored of technology that I'm willing to run the risks of viral releases.

Viral releases are the least of our problems - run-of-the-mill pollution creates new disease agents, and modifies the environment in ways that force mutation and accelerate evolution in microbes and viruses.

We have changed the molecular foundations of life on this planet - we do not even know how, exactly, or properly understand the impacts. This kind of research is about helping us understand evolutionary processes, and getting a handle on what's already happening.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Stuff like this makes me glad I am quasi reclusive and quit smoking(you would be surprised how much quitting smoking can boost your immune system). But messed up all the same.

top topics

join