It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey not following sanctions against Iran?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Turkey's Energy Minister Taner Yildiz says Ankara will not abide by the Western sanctions imposed against Tehran’s energy sector, stressing that Ankara will maintain its strong energy ties with Tehran.

“Turkey is not a member of the European Union (EU). Therefore, its decisions are not binding for us. Likewise, the decisions made by the US will not be binding,” Yildiz said at a Thursday news conference with South African Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies in the Turkish capital city of Ankara.
Source

Turkey and Iran have something going that transcends the current crisis? Oh this isn't a good sign of things to come.

It doesn't prove anything, perhaps. As signs and omens go, this ought to ring BIG alarm bells inside the U.S. Leadership about making absolutely 100% positively SURE we all understand the true situation here. We AT LEAST need to be certain beyond any question that we know who the players are and are not.

Syria, North Korea, Venezuela and now...Turkey. These nations are all apparently doing their normal business with Iran and whatever else on the side that isn't entirely clear....but clear enough to sure see something is there.

It's going to be hell if we go around the world to hit one nation and find ourselves being painted with aquisition and targeting radars from several directions at once and with serious force. I've had a real bad feeling on this whole thing since before Iran became the direct focus and immediate target. Back to about the time Egypt fell. Something wicked this way comes.

Speaking of Turkey.....and Iran....in the same sentence and all...Let's all keep this happy fact in mind:

Ankara's Star Gazete says country's new F-16 radar system modified to recategorize Israeli targets as hostile. Order said to come directly from PM Erdogan's office; naval, submarine radar systems to be changed next

The US system is comprised of lists of "friends" and "foes." The system's settings are designed to prevent pilot error as well, to an extent, disabling the ability to fire at "friendly" targets even by mistake. The US system identified Israel as a 'friend,' thus preventing Turkish fighter jets from firing at them automatically.

The new system, however, allows Turkey control the "friend or foe" list independently.
Source

The above article wasn't written within the past week or even the past couple months. That article came from September, 2011.

Again....I can't help but have this nagging feeling that there is more than we're seeing and alliances that are either deeper or more extensive..or both...than the U.S. is aware of. History is full of nations being fooled and fooled to very bad ends. It's folly to think it's impossible for us simply because, well, we're us.

Turkey isn't alone in blowing these off and looking for alternative ways to continue the operations with Iran. They sure struck me as the most unexpected though. That comment about not being a part of the E.U. in the first linked source is also downright painful for Europe. It has to be. Europe has been jerking Turkey around for years while Turkey badly wanted E.U. membership...now it seems that they may have a serious change of heart and that damn sure would represent a serious change in strategic reality in the region.

Time will tell I suppose.... Events sure are starting to make details fuzzy though and I suppose it only gets worse for that from here on out.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
being in the military I can tell you right now that turkey/yemen area has been on the no-go list for years. It is the civil unrest that causes it.. let me say this...any country that is not a democracy is considered to a be a threat to the US. The US has a rule, some which do not get and question. The U.S stands against tyranny and opression. Any country that is not a democracy is an enemy of America....No hatred on my part but it is the way of America we gained indepence and America wants it for all, because it makes it easier to trade and overall wellness for the world even if innocents get killed...freedom isnt free and America sees it that way...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SharpKnife
being in the military I can tell you right now that turkey/yemen area has been on the no-go list for years. It is the civil unrest that causes it.. let me say this...any country that is not a democracy is considered to a be a threat to the US. The US has a rule, some which do not get and question. The U.S stands against tyranny and opression. Any country that is not a democracy is an enemy of America....No hatred on my part but it is the way of America we gained indepence and America wants it for all, because it makes it easier to trade and overall wellness for the world even if innocents get killed...freedom isnt free and America sees it that way...

Close but no cigar,
the US doesn’t fear nations that are a 'democracy' because they have installed the dictators who run them.
You could say they stand against one type of tyranny and oppression, because they remove it but bring in their own straight after.
I hate to break it to you but even America is not a true democracy, it is a dictatorship with a changing face.
Freedom isn’t free because America sets the price.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
It amazes me how ignorant people are. The US never was, and never will be a democracy. We started out as a democratic republic, and are these days a televisionacracy. Whoever the idiotbox says is right, is right. We have been going about spreading democracy(cough puppet regimes that always backfire) and freedome(cough economic slavery) and thinking we are the good guys. The fact we have a volunteer military, and keep finding people misguided enough to join prettymuch sums up how fargone we really are.

I am not really in a good state to be here right now I don't think. Better to say goodnight and come back some other time I think

edit on Sat, 18 Feb 2012 00:22:02 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SharpKnife

I hear you about Turkey as it stands as a U.S. Ally, although there are still U.S. base facilities in Turkey at Incirlik at the least. What bothers me more than anything is Turkey's status as a full NATO member, if their loyalties in what seems to be coming are starting to get mixed. They have the weapon systems, technical information and all around databases of any NATO member. That sure is a bad thing to consider for a nation in that region to be having second thoughts about what their priorities are. It wouldn't matter near as much..if we didn't appear on the eve of war of course.

I got to looking at a map though.....

....and by size and position, aren't they just the strategic nightmare if they suddenly decide to start batting for the other side...even in a passive way. All they need to do is get snooty and say no to U.S. and/or Western ships and aircraft in general that may participate in any combat, in any form.

They did it once before by blocking the northern front in any serious way for the invasion of Iraq. That was stubbornness and standing on principle though. It looks like this may be a bit more. Let just hope Turkey's feeling of being a rebel to the flow of events doesn't extend beyond the sanctions on energy and economic issues.

One of the more important things Turkey represents is what also makes them somewhat unusual. They control the access to the Black Sea on BOTH sides. So... No would theoretically mean *NO* in a way Iran can't do with the Gulf because Oman owns half that straight too.

Oh well.. Times are getting more and more interesting and the year is just barely starting.

edit on 18-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: spacing change

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Then why is the NDAA 2012 which enables torture,detention and execution without warrant and trial been passed(such law was in Saddam's Iraq)? USA is now a battlefield where the tyrants Rockefeller and Rothschild rule.

Its no longer land of the free and Brave.

edit on 18-2-2012 by ludwigvonmises003 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
being in the military, I can say that yemen has been on the no visit list for years. The US is by no means a tru deomocracy but that democracy is only limited by the revolt of the people. OWS has a good cause but went after the wrong people instead of wall st they should after congress...Do not mistake my post as thinking the US is a free nation because it isnt. Could it be better? OF COURSE..could it be worse. YES...I am a citizen and appreciate what freedoms we have left..wil the time come to revolt..of course....

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

They are trying to take Syria and Iran out of russian orbit.Its simple.Iran by diplomacy,Syria by subversion.
But the way I see it ending is with Russia conquering Turkey in the future if it continues its dirty tricks.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SharpKnife
being in the military, I can say that yemen has been on the no visit list for years. The US is by no means a tru deomocracy but that democracy is only limited by the revolt of the people. OWS has a good cause but went after the wrong people instead of wall st they should after congress...Do not mistake my post as thinking the US is a free nation because it isnt. Could it be better? OF COURSE..could it be worse. YES...I am a citizen and appreciate what freedoms we have left..wil the time come to revolt..of course....
All fairly true except congress are just puppets for the fat cats on wall street and behind big corporations

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
Its no longer land of the free and Brave.

I'd say the fact you can say that and have no fear of reprisal shows that isn't the case...yet, anyway. The fact the more exteme of us here and around the net that tend to dance right at the razor's edge for what can really be said without having problems from it are still here, proves that isn't the case...yet.

I hadn't meant to go quite this direction with the thread...but since you bring it up that way..I really have to say, when people in the United States are no longer heard saying that and much worse and those that did aren't heard from at all, we'll know our worst concerns have come to pass and your statement has then become true.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

thing is when? USA is becoming like Trotsky's Russia. Timmy Mcveigh tried but is called a terrorist and murderer.

How long will the masses sleep? The govt is armed to the teeth and will not hesitate in using heavy weaponry against the civilians.Why is police being armed with tanks?

We don't have time.Two options remain:
1) elect Ron Paul
2) Rebel against elite

In case of rebeling against elite,max probability is that police and military will fight for the elite and will mass murder millions of americans in FEMA camps. If military/police stands with the population then we can overthriow the elite. Else , I hope the russians invoke R2P to protect american civilians from the increasingly fascist and murderous anti-american Obama regime in USA

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I don't live in the United states and don't plan to return unless Ron Paul is elected.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

(self snip)

edit on 18-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

which is why I renounced my american citizenship some years back

How are they going to extradite me from Russia or say India.I have a russian passport now.

Today,Russia has a lot more freedom ,plus there is plenty of land for farming too,though it has huge corruption issues.

Russia is sure the wild east.

edit on 18-2-2012 by ludwigvonmises003 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

Sorry... I dumped my post while you were typing yours... feel free to do the same if you want. I started the thread about Turkey and Iran where it related to the dynamics between those two nations. Not a bash America thread. America wasn't even the topic. It's a first...but I'm going to drop from my OWN thread just this once..at least for awhile.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

call it america bashing,but I call it america restoration and retrieval from fascism.

new topics

top topics

join