It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damaged Ufology.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

This thread was inspired by idiots like this clown:

My point is why clowns like this continuously post obviously fake videos and still get followers? Does anybody know or have an idea what this guys true purpose is? It certainly isn't helping the quest for truth on the UFO subject.

Being a ufologist and trying to show others that there are such things as real UFOs above our heads is difficult enough without having to contend with this. Is it possible that people like this are government funded or is it just downright stupidity that crap like the video above gets posted constantly?

Wouldn't it be great if all the fake videos could just be flushed away and all that we are to be left with, would be the genuine pictures and videos.

Additional, I'm aware that the above would be classed as a USO, if it were real but my point remains
. All posts welcome and feel free to expose any more people like this.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
You are absolutly right! This guy looks like a clown, sounds like a clown acts like a clown

The footage is just plain rediculous.
I find it hard to understand what these people get out of something like this. Ive seen a lot of footage over the last few years and most of it is just plain crap and hoaxes. Whats it worth waisting time faking vids and spreading this crap all over ufology. i say disinformation or just plain stupidity.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
He's a CG artist (and not a very good one in my opinion).

I think he gets about $1 for every 1000 views on Youtube.

If we stop posting and clicking on his videos he won't get anymore money.

edit on 17-2-2012 by freelance_zenarchist because: ▼▲▼

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by freelance_zenarchist

I think he gets about $1 for every 1000 views on Youtube.

If we stop posting and clicking on his videos he won't get anymore money.

edit on 17-2-2012 by freelance_zenarchist because: ▼▲▼

Thanks for that, I didn't watch any others and nor did I manage that one the whole way through, absolutely woeful at CG imo.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Well here's one of the very few situations were debunkers are actually helpful.

I feel so sad and helpless watching these idiots destroy UFOlogy. The only thing we can do is debunk these videos and get rid of all the junk we can here on the internet. Hopefully people will look at what's left and notice that there actually is a strong case of the ET hypothesis behind the hordes of hoaxes posted on Youtube.

Three different witnesses recording the USO on three different cameras my ass. The people are standing right next to each other and we only got to see one video anyways... How dumb does this guy think we are?
edit on 18-2-2012 by thesearchfortruth because: spelling

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

Being a ufologist and trying to show others that there are such things as real UFOs above our heads is difficult enough without having to contend with this.

In a society conditioned to and restricted to linear ways of thinking, it becomes habit and common place for people to generalize, unfortunately. People like this exist for the safety of those who can not look at the available evidence and come to the conclusion that ufos exist.

"The dimensions of physics are such that I would be quite surprised that in the lifetime of people who are no older than 30 here, we don't discover some form of life in another universe. -Bill Clinton.

edit on 18-2-2012 by ILikeStars because: remove bb codes that did not work.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Here's an interesting way to think about the problem. Does the science community get upset that science is being undermined when people write patently silly papers that get accepted into new or unimportant journals? The question isn't rhetorical nor is it purely speculative,

SCIgen is a program that generates random Computer Science research papers, including graphs, figures, and citations. It uses a hand-written context-free grammar to form all elements of the papers. Our aim here is to maximize amusement, rather than coherence.

pdos.csail.mit.edu...

The mechanism working scientists use to weed out this sort of thing is peer review. This thread is in a sense peer-review. We've all looked at the video and concluded it's silly self-promotion. A proper solution would be a series of journalistic or online communities that rate cases and have people sign-off on the legitimacy of the report.

There's always a solution.

edit on 26-2-2012 by FooScience because: grammar

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FooScience

More humorous than helpful mate.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Good points. Also annoying that some people seem to think un-deniable proof of aliens comes in a YouTube video of some stills that slowly zoom inwards. If disclosure is presented to us as a YouTube video, I will probably shoot myself
That said, I feel the UFOlogy network needs a bigger, better moderated forum. You can't just stuff everything into a catch-all "UFO and Aliens" forum, there needs to be sub-divisions to get to the bottom of things, to really suck out all the rubbish, to weed out the liars and those people trying to make a buck from UFO stuff.

Never the less, my interest peaked in 2008 and 2009, but since then I spend less and less time watching videos and visiting UFO forums because yes, UFOlogy - when you delve into it online - starts to become one giant, unforgiving and rarely interesting mess. It's such a huge global "interest" it just gets swamped (sadly) with a lot of garbage. I'm lucky to have other hobbies that are so niche you don't get half the scum of the world trying to add their comment, YT video or CGI hoax, I'm lucky I've seen this stuff for real too - but I don't feel lucky when it comes to exploring and helping others know about it online. It would be interesting to see if there was a way to make UFO more of a niche subject again. Of course there ARE still some real gems to be found, but even somewhere like here - you have to sift through a LOT of crap to find those gems.

The first step IMO is to start a real scale or chart, a bit like the beaufort scale - so that real UFOlogists can quickly determine the importance of a sighting (or case, as someone mentioned above). That way if any UFO video/sighting could be quickly categorized, all the fakery and rubbish can be quickly discarded. Seeing a "UFO" would be very low on the scale, you'd have to identify it further for it to reach any level of legitimacy. Any other methods that will stop the "I saw a UFO" > "It's not a UFO" > "Yes it is, it was in the air and I couldn't identify it" pre-schoolers argument would be a real blessing

edit on 26-2-2012 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by markymint
Good points. Also annoying that some people seem to think un-deniable proof of aliens comes in a YouTube video of some stills that slowly zoom inwards. If disclosure is presented to us as a YouTube video, I will probably shoot myself
That said, I feel the UFOlogy network needs a bigger, better moderated forum. You can't just stuff everything into a catch-all "UFO and Aliens" forum, there needs to be sub-divisions to get to the bottom of things, to really suck out all the rubbish, to weed out the liars and those people trying to make a buck from UFO stuff.

Never the less, my interest peaked in 2008 and 2009, but since then I spend less and less time watching videos and visiting UFO forums because yes, UFOlogy - when you delve into it online - starts to become one giant, unforgiving and rarely interesting mess. It's such a huge global "interest" it just gets swamped (sadly) with a lot of garbage. I'm lucky to have other hobbies that are so niche you don't get half the scum of the world trying to add their comment, YT video or CGI hoax, I'm lucky I've seen this stuff for real too - but I don't feel lucky when it comes to exploring and helping others know about it online. It would be interesting to see if there was a way to make UFO more of a niche subject again. Of course there ARE still some real gems to be found, but even somewhere like here - you have to sift through a LOT of crap to find those gems.
edit on 26-2-2012 by markymint because: (no reason given)

Agree one hundred percent, but it's those "gems" that when found, do make it worthwhile

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
We need someone like Jacques Vallee to make a ground-breaking BBC series on UFO history. He can be to ufo documentary what Attenborough is to nature programmes, putting everything else in the shade.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by freelance_zenarchist

An artist? That's like saying a 1 year old is an expressionist ballet dancer.

Anyway, its not really anything to worry about. Ufology is already damaged beyond repair. Even if 1% of all sightings are actually *real*, the other 99% is half fakes and half regurgitated edits of sightings that's been explained and/or dismissed 10 times over.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
A 1.21 minutes long report about a historic ufo sighting with videos and pictures from multiple witnesses

He even says 'See you next time around'.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

I posted this in another thread where people were complaining about the idiotic video that make us all look like idiots....without realizing these videos are just a symptom and not the cause of our outward idiotic appearance to the average joe.

Don't be mad at the idiots that make these moronic videos. You should be upset at the monumental amount of ignorance that permeates this very subject that gives stuff like this an actual audience. Videos like this are a symptom of our subject's apparent collective ignorance. It's not the programing, it's the audience. And it isn't going to change anytime soon.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

This thread was inspired by idiots like this clown:

snip
My point is why clowns like this continuously post obviously fake videos and still get followers? Does anybody know or have an idea what this guys true purpose is? It certainly isn't helping the quest for truth on the UFO subject.

Being a ufologist and trying to show others that there are such things as real UFOs above our heads is difficult enough without having to contend with this. Is it possible that people like this are government funded or is it just downright stupidity that crap like the video above gets posted constantly?

Wouldn't it be great if all the fake videos could just be flushed away and all that we are to be left with, would be the genuine pictures and videos.

Additional, I'm aware that the above would be classed as a USO, if it were real but my point remains
. All posts welcome and feel free to expose any more people like this.

You're right that your thread was inspired! What are you getting so excited about? If it wasn't for YouTube ATS Aliens and UFOs forum would be a minor note in UFOlogy. Videos such as the one you're complaining about is de rigueur at Aliens and UFOs. Members have no research impetus so they sink to the lowest level by going fishin' at YouTube to see what they can drag over here to be told over and over that the video they selected has been discussed ad nauseam but still they continue.

What quest for truth? Where do people such as you get these ideas that there is a truth to be discovered. The truth is that there are unidentified objects doing all kinds of aerial acrobatics and no one knows anything about what they are and where they come from.

You're deluding and aggrandising yourself.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I thought there was a policy about talking badly about people's ufo vids in a negative light?

Funny, I point out obvious lanterns, flares on night time chutes, blurred helicopters,,cgi,,chinese lanterns, obvious airplanes coming in for a landing in their landing path etc etc and I get a warning from the mods..........

I dunno,,,watch out OP you might be a marked man now. lol

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
There is a lot of money in UFOs and it seems that everyone wants a slice of the pie (including liars, criminals, con artists...) Shouldn't reflect on the actual evidence and credible witness accounts (of course, to an extent it does.)
edit on 26-2-2012 by LoneCloudHopper because: (no reason given)

top topics

join