It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the earth really about to pass through the galactic plane?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I was just watching a video about the possibilty of a pole shift when the earth passes through the galactic plane. I've read that nobody really knows exactly when the earth might pass through the actual galactic plane. I've also read that it happens this year. I don't really care to debate if such an event would really cause a pole shift, because I don't believe anybody really knows, but my question is, can anyone say when the earth is really going to pass the galactic plane? Is the earth heading toward the galactic plane, or away from it? Is it close, right now, or millions of miles away?
Please tell me what do you think, or think you know?
edit on 17-2-2012 by mrnotobc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mrnotobc

It will pass the galactic equator, not the galactic plane

Earth won’t physically cross the plane of our Milky Way galaxy in 2012, but Earth will cross the galactic equator in 2012. That’s nothing special! As seen from the sun, Earth does this every year – twice.

earthsky.org...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Well, I am STILL WAITING on total destruction from "Planet X" or "Nibiru" from 1999 to arrive.
Then I believe it was rescheduled to come in 2003 after it was a no-show in '99.

The nonsense predictions involving this topic over the years have been utterly amazing to say the least! Nothing will happen.

Just a lot of nonsense and foolish people becoming afraid by way of the fear-mongers who never cease with the nonsense.

edit on 17-2-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Earth won’t physically cross the plane of our Milky Way galaxy in 2012, but Earth will cross the galactic equator in 2012. That’s nothing special! As seen from the sun, Earth does this every year – twice.

earthsky.org...

i would think the galactic plane, and galactic equator are the same thing, no?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

So in other words, you don't know the answer.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrnotobc

i would think the galactic plane, and galactic equator are the same thing, no?

Ouch... I'm kinda glad Phage appears to be off doing something else at the moment. I don't think this would have been pretty....

Hey, it's all good though... I ALMOST went and made a lengthy, multi-page post on this very thing before sitting back in the last stages of putting it together and realizing...I had a pile of scary speculation and not a hard, solid fact in the whole thing. I'm not just saying that.... Some might recall I had promised a big thread on what I thought would happen in 2012 visa vi the predictions of the Maya and others. Well...Your topic was what I was planning for it. Err....... I'm really glad I had my little realization before going 'live' with it. What the heck...It happens. (shrug)

S/F anyway, because you had the courage to try...and then didn't stand and insist it was 100% factual, despite not being sure. Definite S/F.

edit on 17-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: last line added...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

earthsky.org...

This article explains we are north of the galactic plane and moving away from it. That's one.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I've also read where big time scientists say we don't really know exactly where the galactic plane is.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
How's Elenin working out for everyone?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
What I see being said is "most scientists agree" so I guess we can assume nobody really knows for sure. That's what I thought.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Search ATS for Galactic Plane...you'll get lots of info

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I mean ... ya know... if ya wanted to

X

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcouncil=wisdom
Search ATS for Galactic Plane...you'll get lots of info

I mean ... ya know... if ya wanted to

X

Thanks, that's more like it.

The first thread that guy sounds like he's really full of himself, and I don't think he really knows what he's talking about, but he knows he does lol.

The second one doesn't tell me much.

the third one has some interesting comments like,

great dreams. com: uses John Major Jenkins reckoning that the actual crossing the galactic plane will take 36 years to complete...
the crossing begun in 1980-through-2016

kachina.net: cites astrophysicists & others, who estimate the Earth and solar system cross the galactic plane ever (about) 33 million years

snoedel.punt.nl:
#1. tells us the alignment of the sun at the December solstice near the galactic center, is an event that occurs every 26,000 years , over a period that lasts for 144 years to complete the crossing
#2. & that the entire solar system intersects the Galactic Plane about every 30 million years...

au.answers.yahoo.com: points out... the dense part of the galactic plane is ~200 light-years thick...
its difficult to locate the exact galactic equator/plane any closer than 5 light-years.
So the date we, Earth & Sun, pass through the galactic plane/equator,
at a speed of 30 kilometers per second, has an error factor of 1/2 million years...

it is only in the recent 20th century that measurements were taken which show the solar system oscillates several times, over and under an imaginary galactic equator/galactic plane, during its ~250 million year galactic orbit, at some 30km per second.
...i think that the much older Sumerian civilization had better cosmic observations than the historically recent Maya calendar priests

This seems to say we don't really know, which I think is kind of truthful.

The last one is interesting, but doesn't seem to tell us when.

I like this answer the most because it doesn't assert we really know more than we know like so many know it alls like to do, like the dumb ass in the first thread.

au.answers.yahoo.com: points out... the dense part of the galactic plane is ~200 light-years thick...
its difficult to locate the exact galactic equator/plane any closer than 5 light-years.
So the date we, Earth & Sun, pass through the galactic plane/equator,
at a speed of 30 kilometers per second, has an error factor of 1/2 million years...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
"Galactic plane" is one of those word-constructions used by pseudo-scientists who have no clue about basic, kindergarten level science.

>> Wikipedia:
The galactic plane is the plane in which the majority of a disk-shaped galaxy's mass lies.
>>

The Earth is part of the the galaxy and unable to move independently "through the galaxy" or move anything big in relation to the whole galaxy, it has a rather fixed position within the galaxy. If you would look at our Galaxy from outside..you would see the Galaxy rotate and move (as a whole)...but the individual stars/planet in it would not move relatively to it.
edit on 17-2-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
"Galactic plane" is one of those word-constructions used by pseudo-scientists who have no clue about basic, kindergarten level science.

>> Wikipedia:
The galactic plane is the plane in which the majority of a disk-shaped galaxy's mass lies.
>>

The Earth is part of the the galaxy and unable to move independently "through the galaxy" or move anything big in relation to the whole galaxy, it has a rather fixed position within the galaxy. If you would look at our Galaxy from outside..you would see the Galaxy rotate and move (as a whole)...but the individual stars/planet in it would not move relatively to it.

Let's face it, everything in space is in motion. What most people are talking about in this context is,

Imagine the galaxy as a spinning phonograph record. The earth is about 3/4 of the way out from the center. As the record spins around, the earth oscillates from a position slightly below the record, to slightly above the record. It always stays about 3/4 of the way from the center. My question is, when will the earth be right exactly in line with the record, and nether above or below it? That's what I'm talking about.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
This is the best explanation I have found

2012rising.com...

The winter solstice of 2012 will occur at 11:11 GMT on of course 21-12-2012 the same day the Long Count flips over. On that morning the sun will appear to rise into the patch of sky we refer to as the galactic centre or nuclear bulge. It is the location of the super-massive black hole at the centre of rotation for the Milky Way galaxy.

In itself the appearance of the sun rising here is not a particularly unique event. The phenomena can be observed for winter solstice dates of numerous years either side of 2012. The only interesting new aspect of this year will be the sun appearing to just touch one part of the Dark Rift (Great Rift) that snakes its way along the Galactic Equator. This is an area of the night sky considered important to Maya cosmology most notably with respect to spiritual rebirth mythologies. It will however take some two decades or so to travel completely through this dark region of the sky.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrnotobc

Originally posted by flexy123

>> Wikipedia:
>>

Let's face it, everything in space is in motion. What most people are talking about in this context is,

Imagine the galaxy as a spinning phonograph record. The earth is about 3/4 of the way out from the center. As the record spins around, the earth oscillates from a position slightly below the record, to slightly above the record. It always stays about 3/4 of the way from the center. My question is, when will the earth be right exactly in line with the record, and nether above or below it? That's what I'm talking about.

I think that was really a good analogy But whats the deal...is there a certain song your looking for on the album (age/constelation) or the space between them? Thing is ... is there really any difference ... the album is just spinning right?
I know the bigger idea is some galactic reasonince or shift...who's gravity can affect us in a great cataclysmic way...
BUT
I think (yes only opinion) our relation to the galactic plane is already determened and stabilized...so our travel between the couple of songs on the albums...the planes..ages is pretty safe already.

But! That don't mean I aint gonna keep being aware of what is going on in my universe. So....eyes upward...and minds forward.

www.spaceadventures.com...

edit on 18-2-2012 by Xcouncil=wisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
you missed the next video where the same guy talking about no polar shift and its a Paradigm shift. now he sells 2 books and 2 videos

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Phage doesnt know everything, I ignore alot of his posts, because its an agenda that only believes certain data, and ignores others. Science as a true study, does not do this, but asks questions and searches. Same with stereologist.

Here is a host of science links, and one of the things brought out in the article is: they don't know things 100%, seeing it from the inside, also, there are a diversity of scientists, you know the mainstream conservative thoughts and then other theories.

answers.google.com...

There are scientists studying these things, but I can't decipher what they're saying, and don't tend to believe they would release true information, it would probably be a matter of national security.

www.ras.ucalgary.ca...
University of Calgary seems to study the galactic plane.

www.ras.ucalgary.ca...

Some of the articles were taken down.

The various extinction events which have occurred during the world?s
history have attracted a number explanations. One such hypothesis is
that these events coincided with the earth crossing the galactic plane
and encountering the dense matter in the form of comets which struck
the earth. This is known as the Shiva Hypotheisis. Its author is
Michael Rampino, Associate Professor of Earth and Environmental
Sciences.

(another page not found) Though with some of this information it could be googled.

Mayans did leave a record of it. That is very interesting in itself.

edit on 18-2-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

because its an agenda that only believes certain data, and ignores others.

funny how agenda does just that.
Take the Topic of 2012 and the maya calender. how it has drifted(no pun intended) and interpreted over the last few years with regard to whats Popular. I always use Graham Hancock as an example of this.

Galactic alignment how often does it happen? Who where the great astronomers?
Yeah, they got it right!!! one big bang is gonna happen. Suddenly I see every agenda on display, and judged, by a force we as human being claim to know but do not understand.

backs away from the soap box....
edit on 18-2-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

Yes the Earth will allign with the galactic equator, the rest about 2012 is speculation but yes it will allign, NASA source, better than random sites who dont hold even gram of science..
edit on 18-2-2012 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join