learn more

Banking's SWIFT says ready to block Iran transactions

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Banking's SWIFT says ready to block Iran transactions

www.reuters.com

Belgium-based SWIFT, which provides banks with a system for moving funds around the world, bowed to international pressure on Friday and said it was ready to block Iranian banks from using its network to transfer money.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
This is HUGE if it passes, HUGE.

Financial DOOM for Iran.

More from the story:

Expelling Iranian banks from the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication would shut down Tehran's main avenue to doing business with the rest of the world - an outcome the West believes is crucial to curbing Iran's nuclear ambitions.

SWIFT, which has never cut off a country before, has been closely following efforts in the United States and the European Union to develop new sanctions targeting Iran that would directly affect EU-based financial institutions.

The United States and EU have already moved to sanction Iran's central bank.

"SWIFT stands ready to act and discontinue its services to sanctioned Iranian financial institutions as soon as it has clarity on EU legislation currently being drafted," the company said in an emailed statement.

I ask you this - Who are the real terrorists here?

In order to do business, we are talking briefcases loaded with cash, that would be their only remaining option....That won't work in today's world.

I don't think Russia (or China) will stand for this.

Thoughts?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
In effect, we are pushing Iran to act out against their oppressors. This just doesn't effect the power structure in Iran, this will effect the individual citizens even more.

This nation is being brought to the edge in hopes that it will create chaos within. Then those that imposed the sanctions can swoop in and look like the "humanitarians".

Not good, not good at all.
edit on 17-2-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Agreed.

"Humanitarian Aid" = Bombs

(see Libya)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
This will cause MASS riots.

I can only imagine how many Iranians working aboard and using this to send money back home to their families there.

Sanctions hurt the people.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
All you guys should look up NNPT on google and maybe then you will understand why Iran is not allowed to pursue the nuclear weapons path.

Iran signed that treaty and when you sign a treaty you better not break it or consequences follow.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Of course. They have to get Iran to make the first move, even though really, they have made several moves that equate to an act of war. Isn't this pretty much exactly like what happened prior to Pearl Harbor? Why is the US trying to set itself up as a target for international terrorism? I mean there have to be more terrorists considering action against the US now then there was ten years ago? The American people should have a say in this because we are the ones they are endangering by doing this. We are basically trying to take a bullet for Israel here.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Maybe Iran could start using Paypal I know its a little costly
But such is the price of doing business
?

Yes sarcasm but the point of the matter, the fact that most of the international worlds money transactions goes through one back, could effectively be addressed. Nations that still want to deal with Iran would gladly use another system I am sure, and hey, it will probably be harder for the UN to track and make accusations

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Iran knows how to play chess. I'm betting they have already gamed out this SWIFT scenario.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Does it ever freak you guys out that calling our government on it's corruption has made us appear to side with Iran, a country that I am fundamentally opposed to for how they treat their civilians? We are probably all on a watch list as potential terrorists. In reality I just don't want another Iraq war, and I don't want a bunch of civilians killed in a country that is full of intelligent people that have an out of control government. We can actually relate a lot with them haha. Their government has religious wackos on one side, ours have religious wackos on the other. It's really damn near a holy war because the christians here feel this need to protect Israel even though they went behind our back and can protect themselves. I would be in full support of backing Israel with our nukes if they hadn't gotten them for themselves.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone has ever thought I was crazy when I say we shouldn't be concerned about Iran and shouldn't bother them.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

It's called an atomic bomb.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
While this is no doubt a major public and diplomatic swipe at Iran, I think it's a bit less dramatic than some stories in the media are suggesting. This would cripple an unaffiliated nation, as I've come to think of them. Iran most definitely is not in that category.

Will it cause disruption? Oh Yeah.... Big-Time...for a few days. Perhaps a week. Anything longer will be because Iran deliberately chooses to let this play out for the unrest and domestic push to fight it will bring. I say this because Iran, again, is nothing remotely like Libya or Iraq (after 1991) and has nothing in common at all with Afghanistan on any level but language and tribal identities near the borders.

Iran has something to get past this. In fact, Iran has two somethings. (Fidel only had 1..but it's kept that old fart running for decades) Iran has Russia and China as it's Sugar Daddys or whatever a client state calls it's primary suppliers and supporters. Why shouldn't they both help? They both do daily business with Iran in the MEGA money ranges and it's kinda important to each of their domestic markets in Oil in and hard currency from what Iran buys.

So.... Iran has a loophole as large as any nation could ever ask for...but will it play that way? That may be the question which may decide war or peace in the immediate near-term, IMO.
edit on 17-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor correction.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
So if Iran is already to steeped in SWIFT then it cannot turn to other means of currency, because only SWIFT will accept transfers from corporations and governments that do not require actual cash deposits?
Mo money no funny honey

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
After reading the article I noticed this

The United States recently enacted sanctions that would punish countries and institutions if they do not reduce their purchases of Iranian oil by mid-year

Not only is the financial transaction(swift) being terminated for Tehran
But they are trying to stop other countries buying oil from Iran.

This is a direct act of war financially against them while supporting sanctions. It would be nice if the USA and the EU was not supporting Israel but its too late ,Whoever attacks first Iran might have backup of Russia. This would be worse than ww2 history all because of middle east involvement.
edit on 18-2-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
Does it ever freak you guys out that calling our government on it's corruption has made us appear to side with Iran, a country that I am fundamentally opposed to for how they treat their civilians? We are probably all on a watch list as potential terrorists. In reality I just don't want another Iraq war, and I don't want a bunch of civilians killed in a country that is full of intelligent people that have an out of control government.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. It's all about corporations and money, the citizens of every country suffer because of this. The average Iranian probably feels the same way.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
See, this is financial terrorism against a nation, an act of war IMO.

And they are trying to pain Iran as the enemy? This only hurts the people of Iran, who have done nothing wrong, other than being trapped by a few dictators in a penis waiving contest between the US, Israel and themselves.

Really though folks, if it isn't clear enough already that this is a manufactuered conflict, designed to destabilize the middle east further, then really we don't deserve our freedom.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
See, this is financial terrorism against a nation, an act of war IMO.

And they are trying to pain Iran as the enemy? This only hurts the people of Iran, who have done nothing wrong, other than being trapped by a few dictators in a penis waiving contest between the US, Israel and themselves.

Really though folks, if it isn't clear enough already that this is a manufactuered conflict, designed to destabilize the middle east further, then really we don't deserve our freedom.

~Tenth

Iran is not an innocent bystander they are building nuclear weapons or already have them .

The USA should have just said we do not support sanctions instead of bully them for an issue that isn't our business, all we had to do was say NO and leave it at that but America is pro Israel ally and loves middle east issues. That nuclear energy program is really important to Iran isn't it? They know very well Isael is threatened by it.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Maybe they are just using all these sanctions to choke Iranian people to the level where they start rebelling against their own leaders and the West comes to help them just like Libya and Syria?

I think this new strategy of weakening the enemy from the inside seems to be working for now.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

that's it exactly.

They smell a regime change anyway, they want to be the liberators. What happened last time the people took over their country can't be allowed to take place again.

This is all about getting back that jewel to the crown those filthy Iranians knifed out.

Resistance of Our "freedom" is futile. Their freedom is irrelevant. What they want for their country is not important. We will "save" them from themselves.

pitiful.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Well, they ain't talking about it anymore, they did it -

At noon New York time on Saturday, key Iranian financial institutions, including the country’s central bank, will be disconnected from the global banking messaging system. As economic sanctions go, this one is a killer app. Henceforth, Iran’s ability to engage in international commerce will be severely limited in punishment for flouting the world in pursuit of nuclear weapons.

www.nydailynews.com...

It's on

top topics

join