It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bus Driver Intentionally Rams Bicyclist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
WARNING GRAPHIC!

A bus driver who used his bus like a "weapon" to knock a cyclist to the ground has been jailed for 17 months, a court official said. Gavin Hill was shown on CCTV in an exchange with cyclist Phillip Mead before he lurched the bus sharply into the cyclist's path, throwing him from his bike. The incident, which happened just off the St James Barton roundabout in Bristol, left the 43-year-old cyclist with fractures to his left wrist and leg, which needed to be plated, and to his thumb. Hill, 29, of Frome, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and causing grievous bodily harm at Bristol crown court. Sentencing the bus driver, Judge Mark Horton said: "This was not an accident. It was an assault, deliberate dangerous driving. "You used that vehicle as a weapon to bully and intimidate the cyclist who, in the end, was struck by that bus." Hill was disqualified from driving for two-and-a-half years and ordered to pass an extended driving test.

I am freaking AMAZED this guy is going to be allowed to drive again in 2 1/2 years. He should be in jail longer in my opinion. I do know the temptation to ram bicyclists all too well, but I try to take some deep breaths or just yell obscene things while hammering the steering wheel.

Link

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Wow, someone has been playing too much GTA.

Seriously though, that guy shouldn't be allowed to drive again, he has a very clear case of road rage.
Also 17 months? He could've killed the guy!
That's the justice system for ya.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

hahaha... wow they give licences to anyone these days...

Jail time for idiocy...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Bus vs. Bicycle? Assault? Umm.... Assault with a Deadly Weapon seems the least he ought to get...and I'd think more attempted murder myself. If the bike fell or kinda wobbled and keeled over INTO the bus instead of away from it, he could easily have discovered what those tires do to a human body. England sure seems generous and forgiving about things........

I can't count now how many cops have shot people to death for simply driving in the direction of the cop in a parking lot or other setting where the cop is on foot. The theory IS attempted murder for justifying deadly force..and it's held up time and again. I guess that is one bus driver who owes a fair part of his life in freedom to the simple matter of which nation he did it in.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Not defending the bus driver (what he did was definitely wrong) but from the video it looks like the bicyclist was riding in front of the bus taking his time, looks like he was trolling the bus, at least from my perspective.

Again to clarify I am not defending the bus driver.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I know it's wrong but the way the bus maneuvered itself around, then brushed him off the road, looked like the bus had a mind of it's own. Besides that was not that graphic.

It was totally wrong of the bus driver, but you got to admit, to handle a big boat like that, he did in taste at least. It's like he perfectly calculated it.

I know, I wouldn't be able to manage a stunt like that.
edit on 18-2-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Hey , chill guys , this is Britain , Tony Blair introduced 24 hour drinking , now Cameron wants to lock em up in drink cells and issue alcohol licences , like a driving licence if you are tanked with booze and you have to go to Accident +Emergency if you are found to be at fault regarding your injuries you will get points on your drinking licence , get enough and you are banned from drinking alcohol. The bus driver will be back driving in no time , welcome to the UK

top topics

join