It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS needs an age limit

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by TheCommentator

reply to post by vogon42

I dont know if anyone has noticed but the world is screwed, and all thanks to older generations.
Younger generations seem to be the only ones speaking out/doing anything, so were the only hope you got at the moment

Spoken like an Idealist.

Typical of the young.
Well its a lot better then what the old are doing isnt it

Really?

And what would that be?

Speaking as a 28 year old, even I know that the ideals of some of the youth (only some, the majority are lunkheads that just wanna break things) are exactly the same as the hippies from the 60s who are insulted as in the case of the person you commented in response to.

Weird isn't it?

I am a hippie from the 60's.

If anyone understand Idealism - - its me.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

reply to post by vogon42

I dont know if anyone has noticed but the world is screwed, and all thanks to older generations.
Younger generations seem to be the only ones speaking out/doing anything, so were the only hope you got at the moment

Spoken like an Idealist.

Typical of the young.
Well its a lot better then what the old are doing isnt it

Really?

And what would that be?

Speaking as a 28 year old, even I know that the ideals of some of the youth (only some, the majority are lunkheads that just wanna break things) are exactly the same as the hippies from the 60s who are insulted as in the case of the person you commented in response to.

Weird isn't it?

I am a hippie from the 60's.

If anyone understand Idealism - - its me.

That's why it saddens me when you see activists and idiots from my generation complaining that "the old left us in this mess and don't care" when people such as yourself were doing a lot more than the young'uns today.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

That's why it saddens me when you see activists and idiots from my generation complaining that "the old left us in this mess and don't care" when people such as yourself were doing a lot more than the young'uns today.

Really.

Could you show me where I said that?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

If those "inexperienced" kids don't post ridiculous stuff on here, no one can reply or refute their argument. Therefore, these "inexperienced" kids will never learn and continue to act like the rest of the kids out there who have never been told no.

What you are saying is flat our ridiculous. If you want these "kids" to ever grow up, they certainly need to be whipped into shape. No better way to do that than by letting them voice their opinions and act all tough and then prove them wrong.

What you are suggesting is enabling to be the same forever. Learning happens so much faster from interacting, not simply reading from a far. We all know that.

Scientifically the male brain is not mature until the age of 35.......so if your brain is still underdeveloped, feel free to read, but please avoid posting.

I'm assuming you yourself are not yet 35 since you posted such as unwise idea on here. Join the "inexperienced kids" bud.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
There's one thing I have learned.

You don't know the value of experience till you have it.

That wont change, and the young will always rail against the old, with each believing their way is better.

We don't need love between the generations, just a reminder that we all need to show respect.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I try not to have any dealings with young people under the age of 30.All they talk about is there g/fs loud cars goffy music ,college,plus most of them are inmature.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by selfharmonise

That wont change, and the young will always rail against the old, with each believing their way is better.

We don't need love between the generations, just a reminder that we all need to show respect.

True - - but this up and coming generation has had experiences previous generations did not have.

However - - they could definitely try some respect for the years of experience we have had.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

True - - but this up and coming generation has had experiences previous generations did not have.

However - - they could definitely try some respect for the years of experience we have had.

I think it goes both ways.

We need to respect them too, as they are going through new experiences. I learn a lot from those under 30.

The core aspects of human experience are the same though....love, sex, money, conflict, politics...Hope, disappointment, parenthood...learning.

We're never going to be able to enforce respect, we can't go back to the 50s, so we need to learn new ways.

I'd rather be a trusted mentor and guide than an enemy.

I love dealing with those under 30.

They have some of the best jokes and their passion (when they have it!), can be huge.

Apathetic youngsters make me angry though....but apathetic youngsters generally make apathetic adults and I know a good few of them...the oldies I work with are mainly apathetic....so nothing changes.

We just need to support some of the shining stars to make better choices than we did, in a way that's not too confrontational.

I am proud that one young lass I mentor has started her own charity for families of alcoholics. She just needed a wee push and a bit a direction and she's off creating great things.

We all have our challenges and lessons to learn, I am pretty glad of the young uns, they brighten everything up.
edit on 22-2-2012 by selfharmonise because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
There are some darned smart kids out there. I welcome them to discuss things with me. They learn that way and we who are older and stuck in our own paradigms may see things from another point of view. Ive met brilliant kids and dumb as dirt older people. Idiotic fluoride head kids and incredibly wise elders. Ive met plenty of egotistical and delusional middle aged folks. Right here on ats!
Seriously though, you just take people as they come and not by age, race, religion, or anything that defines a person only on the surface. I learned that only recently, maybe in the last decade.

Now who we should exclude here on ATS are the Scottish.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by evil316
There are some darned smart kids out there. I welcome them to discuss things with me. They learn that way and we who are older and stuck in our own paradigms may see things from another point of view. Ive met brilliant kids and dumb as dirt older people. Idiotic fluoride head kids and incredibly wise elders. Ive met plenty of egotistical and delusional middle aged folks. Right here on ats!
Seriously though, you just take people as they come and not by age, race, religion, or anything that defines a person only on the surface. I learned that only recently, maybe in the last decade.

How did you know I am Scottish?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by evil316

How did you know I am Scottish?

Im NSA? Govt shill?? Mossad?? Psychic??
Nope, Im poking at a friend who reads here and posts little. But hey, if I can annoy you as well thats all good.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I could honestly say that I have disagreed with a lot I have read on ATS, but I've never disagreed with a post more. IMO I feel as if I have matured very quickly for my age, and have experienced a lot that I should not have. However, I also am mature enough to realize there are MANY more out there who have a rougher life than me. You call me a immature 20 something year old with a wrong opinion. I at least am one of the 20 something year olds that are intelligent enough to have there own opinion and not just follow others. And if I have an opinion/thought that is blatantly wrong, at least I am expressing it to others in hopes I can learn from my mistake(s).
I'd like to hear why your experience is so much more relevant than mine or anyone else's that posts on ATS. What makes you so much more intelligent and mature? I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking you, because if you have a good explanation I'll commend you for it.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I think it goes both ways.

We need to respect them too, as they are going through new experiences. I learn a lot from those under 30.

Absolutely! And I wouldn't go back to the way things were in the 50s for anything. With the good you also get the bad. The "Good Old Days" is filtered and selective memory.

I had this amazing insightful discussion with a poster a while back. I was SHOCKED - - when I found out he was only 12.

The young (and younger) are so much more informed and aware today. True (as I was also) - - they have a tendency to be Idealistic.

There is no replacement for real life experience. But being Open and Aware is certainly a good jumping off place.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Hello friend!

I was intrigued by the insight you got....

Can you share?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I've had half a bottle of red wine. And am now having a gin and tonic.

Thats crazy time for me.

But I am so relaxed - and been reading this thread - that's it's delivered me an epiphany.

I love people...and youngsters especially, because i am so caught up in the rat race...that they remind me what life is about...

It's about caring about things, being enraged by injustice and remembering to just live.

Life knocks that out of you.

I need young people, hard nosed unreasonable, passionate beasts to shake me back to anger from my middle ground.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Hello friend!

I was intrigued by the insight you got....

Can you share?

I do not remember the specifics.

It was probably about acceptance of people as people - - through universal spirituality (not religion) - - applied to the every day world and its workings. Putting our "thinking" and responsibility in correct order. Anyway - - it was amazingly insightful - - especially for someone so young.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

In modern parlance....

LIKE!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Won't work will it?
You could up the age to 35, ability to touch type, have English as their first language and have an over 130 IQ rule - yet the one liner harpy that is me would STILL be here...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join