It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS needs an age limit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
ATS is a wonderful site, with lots of important discussions, however there are MANY times these threads are clouded by some inexperienced 20 something college student.

They think they are intelligent, but they have NO WISDOM. So they spew their spoon fed education out to those of us who have experience in the real world...which does nothing but cloud up the thread.

I believe if you are under the age of 18 you should not be allowed to post, just read and learn.
If you are under the age of 30 you should be limited and monitored on the posts you are allowed. (perhaps a limit of 5 posts per week)

Listen KIDS.....you have TWO ears, and only ONE mouth. (hint you have more to learn than you have to say)

Scientifically the male brain is not mature until the age of 35.......so if your brain is still underdeveloped, feel free to read, but please avoid posting.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Knowledge doesn't come with age, it comes with experience.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
From the mouths' of babes!

From your lips to God's ears!

Chick's gotta eat, birds gotta fly....................

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ssupp
Nope, wisdom comes with experience. Usually the experience of making stupid mistakes. Knowledge never comes to you. You must seek it out and work to gain it. Ignorance and stupidity are free and require no effort.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

The original poster still doesn't make sense though. My neighbour of 40 thinks internet is the devil yet he's still more eligible to post than me?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
It would be quite interesting if ATS actually created a site with some kind of IQ bar to be able to enter.

Personally i dont think age has anything to do with knowledge, old people can be as stupid as a door knob to. And that is even more annoying.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Age limit implies a cap/limit/maximum.

Age minimum would have been a better term.

Anyways, age is just a number. While I agree wisdom tends to increase with maturity, I also know some 18 yos that are maturer and wiser than 90yo. (Especially Americans, its almost the norm to get dumber as flouride calcifies everything, lol)

The sooner you start getting informed, the better. Gosh I wish when I was 16 I had known about ATS!

Head starts are Awesome!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Hmm, what's next? Only people that can type with all 10 digits? Maybe only those that have a Grade 12 education? Or even, those people who have English as their second language have perfect spelling and syntax?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

Bollocks.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I agree, however with age come the chances for more situations that add to the experience.
Which causes the correlation between age and wisdom.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

Younger members making "stupid" posts provides you (the obviously much older and wiser member) with a perfect opportunity to rebut their "stupid" posts and educate them.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

No, not at all.
Just stating that if an individual is ignorant of a subject, they should read and learn, not throw in ignorant opinions.

I'm not going to challenge my doctor about her diagnosis of my medical issues.....she has been a doctor for many years.

If my doctor has issues with the computer system in her office.......I have 20 years professional IT experience.....and will share my knowledge / experience with her to help resolve the issue.

So, I will discuss he issues I know about, but will shut up and just listen to the topics I have limited understanding of. (that is the point of this rant)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

There's a few guys on here, that are around 20, and they're among the most intelligent posters.

There's also been some really grumpy, self centered, misogynistic, crabby assed old guys on here, whose brains fell out long ago.

Age limit = bad idea.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
]There are too many of these......

edit on 17-2-2012 by vogon42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by vogon42
No, not at all.
Just stating that if an individual is ignorant of a subject, they should read and learn, not throw in ignorant opinions.

They are not ignorant opinions. They are they opinions of those with less experience. I don't know who said it but it's true, "If you are young and aren't liberal, you have no heart. If you are older and aren't conservative, you have no brain." I certainly like to be reminded about what I had forgotten about. My kids keep me young.

That said, times change and experiences will as well. My growing up in the 70's was WAY different than my parents in the 50's. And sure as hell different from my kids today. Not listening to the kids might be the worst thing we can do.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

And what comes with age, experience eh?

I'm with you OP!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
"If you are young and aren't liberal, you have no heart. If you are older and aren't conservative, you have no brain."

That should read, "If you are young and aren't liberal, you have no heart. If you are older and aren't conservative, you haven't been sucked into the corporate world, and sold your soul for two cars, and a semi in the burbs."

Just to keep the discussion balanced of course.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Age limit? Will a height requirement be next? Then, perhaps, particular diets? Or, maybe one's skin color? No albinos?

No. Discriminate only towards those that do not wish to accept the terms that are stated for this site. The idea of agism is petty. Perhaps, you can ask for special check marks from ATS so you can 'highlight' people you want to isolate from your view.

There are many intelligent and wise individuals that are among the youngest in ATS. I embrace their perspectives with honor. It is our duty to show them what the proper decorum is. Allow them the ability to know what their sense of propriety is. If they do not know, we will teach them.

I have never agreed with the term, "children should be seen, not heard". It angers me how arrogant that phrase is.

edit on 17-2-2012 by Pteraductile because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
This thread put me in mind of a quote I read yesterday on Raspberrypi.org (Shameless plug
)

'See the happy moron. He doesn't give a damn.
I wish I were a moron, my god! Perhaps I am!' Raspberry Clive

I suppose that we all think that we are contributing positively and that everyone would be seem much more intelligent ....if only they did it my way.....with my perspective......In the font I choose.

Sounds Familiar for some reason.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Knowledge never comes to you. You must seek it out and work to gain it.

I never knew that. Good thing I happened to come across your post, as now I have found some new knowledge!

Oh wait, I did it wrong.. :^o

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join