It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

another verse in the Gospel to show OSAS is a lie, a heresy from men

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Faith does not equal religion my friend...

Faith equals belief...

Someone who is Catholic does not necessarily have any more belief/faith then one who is not...

My personal belief is solid as steel... unbreakable, and i would never turn any religion...

Does that mean you have more "faith" then i do?

You have Faith in your religion... and i commend you for that... But i have faith in God, something no religion can provide... God provides faith/belief... not religion

edit on 12-3-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by resonance

Originally posted by colbe

You have to look at the origin of OSAS. It was never taught by
Christ or the Apostles to follow. End of story. How are you saved
at one point in your life if you are suppose to "persevere" to the
end?

OSAS came from Calvin and when did he live?

OSAS was definitely taught by jesus in the apostles. It shows that in my link.

"Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”
Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.” - John 6:28-29

Also, probably the most famous verse in the bible

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

That is the be all end all of what is required to be saved. If you don't agree with OSAS you do not have a full understanding of why Jesus' sacrifice saved us from sin. He was our kinsman redeemer. Research that and you will understand.

hello resonance,

I'll post the verses or the link to them, OSAS is heresy. And not a word from you about OSAS' origin. Calvin not Our Lord came up with it, the Apostles never taught OSAS. OSAS goes against Scripture.

Our Lord didn't "save us from sin", have you looked out the window, read
the news...especially in the last fifty some years? Just teasing you. Evil is on the increase.

Our Lord "redeemed" us on the cross. He did not bring about our
justification.

It is a battle to the end, the end of life whether we follow God's holy ways and with the help of His grace we can do it.

Too many verses to count....the verse is named and explanation.

www.scripturecatholic.com...-II

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

We are saved through God's grace. We CAN NOT save our selves. We do not have the ability to pay the sin debt originally owed from the beginning. Jesus did this as our kinsman redeemer. By accepting that he has paid our sin debt we are forgiven of all sin. That is all.

God has to be apart from sin. Only be having our sin paid for and done away with can we go to heaven. That is all that needs to be done. Works come in to storing up treasure or rewards (Crowns) in heaven.

In the book of James, Jesus says any outward display of faith is a "work".

And lets try this verse

John 10:28-29 - 28

I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all[a]; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by resonance

We are saved through God's grace.
By means of a pathway we are given.

We CAN NOT save our selves.
By following the path shown us we are saved.

We do not have the ability to pay the sin debt originally owed from the beginning.
There is no "sin debt".

Jesus did this as our kinsman redeemer.
That is one speculative explanation which is not supported by the Bible.

By accepting that he has paid our sin debt we are forgiven of all sin. That is all.
This is a highly flawed concept based on false assumptions about what Paul meant but is rejected by modern scholarship.

God has to be apart from sin. Only be having our sin paid for and done away with can we go to heaven. That is all that needs to be done.
This is just a mythical concept which is a throw-back to earlier misconceptions but clung to by people who crave free-grace in order to revel in their sinfulness.

Works come in to storing up treasure or rewards (Crowns) in heaven.
A silly made-up notion designed in order for some people to feel comfortable while shirking responsibility for their own personal behavior.

No!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

reply to post by colbe

We are saved through God's grace. We CAN NOT save our selves. We do not have the ability to pay the sin debt originally owed from the beginning. Jesus did this as our kinsman redeemer. By accepting that he has paid our sin debt we are forgiven of all sin. That is all.

God has to be apart from sin. Only be having our sin paid for and done away with can we go to heaven. That is all that needs to be done. Works come in to storing up treasure or rewards (Crowns) in heaven.

And lets try this verse

I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all[a]; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.

Really, such news, every Christian knows this, you don't have to put it in CAPS. Didn't I write "with the help of God's grace" in my post.

The underlined is nonsense. Jesus is the only one who can redeem
Mankind. We are still responsible for all our actions. Jesus' death on the
cross doesn't cover our sins. Why is there hell and a place of purgation
for those justified for Heaven but are being made holy, for confessed sins not atoned for during their life? Our Lord opened Heaven, He redeemed us.

You can't die with grave sin called mortal sin on your soul. That is
why Jesus established confession John 20-23, for the life of your soul because man has a fallen nature. When you commit a mortal sin, if you've been baptized with water, God's presence in your soul is gone. Repentance and Confession of your sins to God restores His presence, His grace in your soul. Protestants reject the Sacrament of Confession,
their only recourse is from the heart contrition and repentance to God
of their mortal sins.

At the Great Warning, many, many non-Catholic Christians will say "yes"
to what they say "no" to now.

I gave you a link resonance and you didn't look at it. There must be 100 verses to show OSAS is a lie.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

reply to post by colbe

And lets try this verse

resonance, hi,

I am trying to help you, I love you sister. I think sister....

Look at John 10:28-29 in context. What does Jesus say before these
verses.

John 10:26-27
But you do not believe, because you are not of my sheep. [27] My sheep hear my voice: and I know them, and they follow me.

Calvin did not come up with OSAS until the 16th century. It's not of
Christ, as Jesus said it in another way...do you know the meaning of heresy? Heresy is "not of my sheep."

Toss out OSAS. Justification is past, present and future.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by colbe

Faith does not equal religion my friend...

Faith equals belief...

Someone who is Catholic does not necessarily have any more belief/faith then one who is not...

My personal belief is solid as steel... unbreakable, and i would never turn any religion...

Does that mean you have more "faith" then i do?

You have Faith in your religion... and i commend you for that... But i have faith in God, something no religion can provide... God provides faith/belief... not religion

edit on 12-3-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

You're correct Akragon. Faith does not equal religion friend.

They are two different things. Religions, Christian and non-Christian
are man made. Faith is from God, it's divine, there is one faith because there is one plan and the Gospel confirms it. Jesus established one Church, it all fits, it's logical. Our Lord never used the plural in saying Church. Everyone else broke away. Everything the world knows of Christ in the New Covenant comes from the true faith, Roman Catholicism.

Ephesians 4:5 ~ One lord, one faith, one baptism.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I do not see how you can not believe OSAS.

Nothing will take you out of the hand of the Lord for your battle is not with flesh , but with principalities. Adam and Eve was tempted by a principality , a serpent. Satan.

They knew sin was there , waiting for them , but they had no desire for sin because the temptation to eat of the tree was not there , simply because they had no reason to eat of the tree. Only through temptation of satan and knowledge (gain) did Eve sin. Otherwise , without Satan (a principality) she probably would have not sinned.

So simply stated , the ability to sin was always there for man , but the temptation from principalities lead men to act on the ability to sin.

Jesus is the only human being who has not fallen into sin for he taught and followed the law of God perfectly.

---

Just note , even with principalities man does not have to sin or fall into temptation. Lying is just as bad as murder simply because that little white lie has doomed you as much as murder and only the blood of Jesus Christ will make you presentable to God.

Even your most righteous works are but Filthy Rags in the eyes of God. Only the belief and acceptance of Jesus Christ is acceptable to God , however , if you do not follow the laws of God you limit your blessings on Earth and Rewards in heaven and you shall be least in his kingdom , but at least your still in heaven.

---

Also , in the old testament , even following the laws and having the faith of Abraham did not get you to heaven. God blessed Abraham , but he sent him to "Abraham's Bossom" a holding place for believers in the old covenant. Only through Christ's death were the believers of God able to enter into Paradise or Heaven. I am not sure heaven is even open at the moment , isnt paradise the only place open for now?

If i remember correctly , Paradise (heaven) and Sheol (hell) are temporary places it seems to scripture. After the 2nd death or final judgement at the end of Christ's millennium reign are the new heaven and earth opened?

---

The only way i believe you can lose your salvation is Blasphemy of the Holy spirit , dying without accepting Jesus. You have denied Christ's death on the cross and your sins have covered you.

If you once believed in Christ , but now reject christ , i believe you have a very real chance of going to hell.

I believe Hitler could have been saved if he accepted Christ and asked forgiveness.

There is no sin the Lord your God has not died to cover except the rejection of his salvation upon your death.
edit on 13-3-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

By following the path shown us we are saved.

We aren't saved by following any paths, we're saved by trusting in Him. Following Him doesn't save us, following Him is what saved people DO.

That is one speculative explanation which is not supported by the Bible.

Sure it is. Boaz is Ruth's kinsman redeemer in the story in the OT. That's the reason Christ incarnated as a human and died for us. He could only redeem us as a kinsman. Boaz is a picture of Christ in that story and Ruth is His gentile bride.

This is just a mythical concept which is a throw-back to earlier misconceptions but clung to by people who crave free-grace in order to revel in their sinfulness.

Not even considering for a moment that now we are free in Christ, Paul puts that idea you mentioned above to bed in Romans 6:

6:1-2 ~ "1What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

And 6:14:15 ~ "14For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. 15What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid."

Freeing us from our sin makes us servants of righteousness. We're new creatures in Christ and the old man is dead and buried with Him.

A silly made-up notion designed in order for some people to feel comfortable while shirking responsibility for their own personal behavior.

Huh, Jesus told us to store up treasures in heaven rather than here on Earth. And in 1 Corinthians chapter 3 Paul talks about how we are given rewards or how we lose them in heaven. They aren't for us anyways, we throw them at Christ's feet. And those without any crowns to show for their life will be bitterly and sorely ashamed.

Personal behavior certainly does matter jm. That's hammered home throughout the scripture. And it's not hard to be free from sins after you're saved. Just love everyone more than yourself and love Christ with all you've got. That's it, He said those two fulfill the law and prophets.

God's righteousness doesn't draw us to Him when we're lost. It's His grace.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Right? Especially after Jesus says we are held by 2 hands, His and the Fathers. And no man can pluck any of us out of either His or His Father's hands. That should settle the matter right there for a Christian. But it doesn't. Even when you point them to Romans chapter 8 you still get the same deer-in-a-headlights looks. Jesus also said every person the Father had given Him would come to Him, and said that He would never cast out someone who called upon Him.

They would have us believe them that Jesus does in fact cast away some who call upon Him. Which is in essence calling Him a liar.

Adam and Eve was tempted by a principality , a serpent. Satan.

Adam wasn't tempted remember? He chose to join Eve in her sin.

Also , in the old testament , even following the laws and having the faith of Abraham did not get you to heaven. God blessed Abraham , but he sent him to "Abraham's Bossom" a holding place for believers in the old covenant. Only through Christ's death were the believers of God able to enter into Paradise or Heaven. I am not sure heaven is even open at the moment , isnt paradise the only place open for now?

No, Christ "freed" those people when He descended to the Earth prior to His resurrection. These were the people in "prison" He preached to. Since Christ ascended to heaven we are now with him when we die. Remember, "to be absent from the body is to be..."

And btw, the law came 400+ years after Abraham. Abraham was saved by grace, the same as you and I. Christ paid for Anraham's sins too. Abraham's righteousness came in trusting in God's promise. God promised him Issac would have children, he knew if he had to kill his son that God would have to raise him from the dead to keep His Word.

That "faith" was counted for righteousness. We aren't saved by making promises to God, it's in believing His promise to us He's already made in Christ Jesus. Our sins are forgiven and we're reconciled to the Father through His Son.

edit on 13-3-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12

Nothing will take you out of the hand of the Lord for your battle is not with flesh , but with principalities. Adam and Eve was tempted by a principality , a serpent. Satan.

They knew sin was there , waiting for them , but they had no desire for sin because the temptation to eat of the tree was not there , simply because they had no reason to eat of the tree. Only through temptation of satan and knowledge (gain) did Eve sin. Otherwise , without Satan (a principality) she probably would have not sinned.

So simply stated , the ability to sin was always there for man , but the temptation from principalities lead men to act on the ability to sin.

Jesus is the only human being who has not fallen into sin for he taught and followed the law of God perfectly.

---
Just note , even with principalities man does not have to sin or fall into temptation. Lying is just as bad as murder simply because that little white lie has doomed you as much as murder and only the blood of Jesus Christ will make you presentable to God.

Even your most righteous works are but Filthy Rags in the eyes of God. Only the belief and acceptance of Jesus Christ is acceptable to God , however , if you do not follow the laws of God you limit your blessings on Earth and Rewards in heaven and you shall be least in his kingdom , but at least your still in heaven.

---

If i remember correctly , Paradise (heaven) and Sheol (hell) are temporary places it seems to scripture. After the 2nd death or final judgement at the end of Christ's millennium reign are the new heaven and earth opened?

---

The only way i believe you can lose your salvation is Blasphemy of the Holy spirit , dying without accepting Jesus. You have denied Christ's death on the cross and your sins have covered you.

If you once believed in Christ , but now reject christ , i believe you have a very real chance of going to hell.

I believe Hitler could have been saved if he accepted Christ and asked forgiveness.

There is no sin the Lord your God has not died to cover except the rejection of his salvation upon your death.

milkyway,

Hi, I wanted to comment on what I underlined above.

There is a such a thing as a greater and lessor sin. Catholics refer to them as mortal and venial sin. OSAS isn't true, the thing that separates us from God is mortal sin. Venial sin, we do not lose God entirely.
God cannot reside in our soul with even one mortal sin.

This is why regular Confession is so important.

Here is Scripture on greater and lessor sin.

1John 5:16-17
He that knoweth his brother to sin a sin which is not to death, let him ask, and life shall be given to him, who sinneth not to death. There is a sin unto death: for that I say not that any man ask. [17] All iniquity is sin. And there is a sin unto death.

www.drbo.org...

The other...

"Even your most righteous works are but Filthy Rags in the eyes of God"...

Didn't Martin Luther try to use Isaiah 64:6 to justify his heresy of
Sola Fide, Faith Alone? Nah, that verse means false works, as Jesus
meant. Here from the English translation of the first Bible, the
Douay-Rheims. Read the footnote:

[6] And we are all become as one unclean, and all our justices as the rag of a menstruous woman: and we have all fallen as a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

[6] Our justices: That is, the works by which we pretended to make ourselves just. This is spoken particularly of the sacrifices, sacraments, and ceremonies of the Jews, after the death of Christ, and the promulgation of the new law.

www.drbo.org...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

God's righteousness doesn't draw us to Him when we're lost. It's His grace.

Which is your belief in predestination,
to where according to this system:

If you don't already feel "saved"
then just forget trying to be saved,
and if you do feel like you are "saved",
then sin all you want.
edit on 13-3-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Romans 11:22
See then the goodness and the severity of God: towards them indeed that are fallen, the severity; but towards thee, the goodness of God, if thou abide in goodness, otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

This verse has nothing to do with OSAS.

The true face of things is revealed upon resurrection.
The enlightened of this world walk in the shadow of death but do so on the waters.
The glorious fabric of the universe is made known and communion pervades.

In the reunion with Light, there is no return to darkness.
There is freedom, peace and unity.

Sin is not what you think. Who are the fallen? Ask the man in the mirror...

edit on 13-3-2012 by 1nOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by 1nOne

You could experience all that in Hell, don't you know?
We live in the "glorious fabric of the universe" right now, because the sole purpose of the universe is to provide us with a place to live.
The purpose of the life of Jesus was to reveal the light to us.
We are not "fallen" if we accept that light.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Which is your belief in predestination,

You're thinking of "Irresistible Grace" and I'm not talking about that. That's the most easily refuted part of the TULIP doctrine with scripture anyways. I'm meaning His grace as in Christ, shedding His blood for us all. Like His extended hand of grace offered to the sinner. To repent and trust in Jesus.

But we also do know from Jesus that every person the Father had given to Him would come to Him. And He said no one could come to Him unless the Father first draw that person, (I assume via the Holy Spirit).

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by 1nOne

You could experience all that in Hell, don't you know?
We live in the "glorious fabric of the universe" right now, because the sole purpose of the universe is to provide us with a place to live.
The purpose of the life of Jesus was to reveal the light to us.
We are not "fallen" if we accept that light.

What you say is true.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

You're thinking of "Irresistible Grace" and I'm not talking about that.

I wasn't, and I don't know if I ever think about that, since, like you said, it is not easily supportable.
My Calvinism comes to me indirectly through other teachers who were probably influenced by his system, the point being, I am not in the habit of studying TULIP as a system holistically, and only in a fragmentary sort of way.
As for your comment, "I'm meaning His grace as in Christ, shedding His blood for us all.", there is another way to understead "giving" as an act of God, where it means more like a letting go, on His part, and less as a gift. The English translations do not do the phraseology of Paul justice.
My point being, that you base your entire salvation theory on a misunderstanding of the concept Paul was trying to explain and you have not done a rigorous enough study on the subject yourself and are too reliant on other's study and opinion.
God has to have an open channel through which to speak to you and it is not a YouTube video, it is you actually studying the word.
edit on 13-3-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Well, Jesus says the same thing in John, and that's not written by Paul. He says He'll never cast out someone who calls upon Him. That's the simple gospel. You either believe His promises or you don't.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

. . . He'll never cast out someone who calls upon Him . . .

Do you mean John 6:37?
You could read a modern translation, like the NIV.

All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.

Where I would have to reply, 'and . . your point is?'

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Colbe, you seem to like being the antichristian and taking 1 verse out of context to distort the true meaning into what you want instead of what it really says. Satan does the same thing, mingling bits of truth with lies. The message of Romans 11 is that we are saved by Grace not by works, as the Roman Catholic Church would have you believe that works will save you, just like Islam. You cannot save yourself on your own power.

Here's what Romans 11 really has to say, since you will not tell the truth, i must do it for you and reveal your duplicity:

I say then, has God cast away His people? Certainly not! For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God has not cast away His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says of Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel, saying, 3 “Lord, they have killed Your prophets and torn down Your altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life”? 4 But what does the divine response say to him? “I have reserved for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.” 5 Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6 And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.
7 What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded. 8 Just as it is written:

“God has given them a spirit of stupor,
Eyes that they should not see
And ears that they should not hear,
To this very day.”

9 And David says:

“Let their table become a snare and a trap,
A stumbling block and a recompense to them.
10 Let their eyes be darkened, so that they do not see,
And bow down their back always.”

Israel’s Rejection Not Final
11 I say then, have they stumbled that they should fall? Certainly not! But through their fall, to provoke them to jealousy, salvation has come to the Gentiles. 12 Now if their fall is riches for the world, and their failure riches for the Gentiles, how much more their fullness!

13 For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, 14 if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them. 15 For if their being cast away is the reconciling of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?

16 For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches. 17 And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree, 18 do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you.

19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

25 For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written:

“The Deliverer will come out of Zion,
And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;
27 For this is My covenant with them,
When I take away their sins.”

28 Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers. 29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. 30 For as you were once disobedient to God, yet have now obtained mercy through their disobedience, 31 even so these also have now been disobedient, that through the mercy shown you they also may obtain mercy. 32 For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all.

33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!

34 “For who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has become His counselor?”
35 “Or who has first given to Him
And it shall be repaid to him?”

36 For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.

Using 1 verse out of context distorts the scripture into what you want it to say as opposed to what it really says, those that do this do the work of Satan for the goal of decieving.
edit on 5-4-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join