It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got a great idea for a MMO, where do i take my idea?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I just came up with, what i think, is a great video game, either MMO or stand alone, first of it's kind actually that I've seen, ever. I might have missed a few MMO's out there but, to me most of them are all the same. Pick a game and I've probably have played it.

Does anyone have any idea where i can go to promote my idea and which company would be good to go with, or better yet, what should be my first steps to sharing my idea?

I know I'll copyright it and then type up a NDA, but after that.............I have no idea where even to start.

If you were me, what would you do at this point?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Can you tell me your idea for the MMO in GREAT detail and also what you want to name it? Also don't copyright anything until a few days after you tell me.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I'd try to seek out investors or venture capitalists there are some websites that gift money for startups there's too many to list. But a good search engine should find them. Here's a link to a very successful MMO that outlines some MMO writing tips for success. It's good for anyone that likes to write as well. services.runescape.com...=forum/l=0/sl=0/forums.ws?49,50,858,63025882

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Pst... dont tell him tell me im much more trust worthy.

No, but in all seriousness what i would do is write an detailed synopsis of the your game, then i would go through the copy writing process. make sure to be broad enough in your description that when you start to submit its not easily stolen. then i would start to market it to any and every video game production company that will listen to you. Also never ever sign anything with out having a lawyer who has your best interest at heart read the contract.

good luck.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Okay to begin with first you need to get yourself organized with an NDA, second of all the story line along with a story board and graphics of the core scene, side scenes, etc, character roles, levels, add ons, etc.

This is how i came into contact with a Electronic Art and discussed my multiplayer online game some 4 years ago. I obviously needed to show them the beta version which was shown from a cd from my laptop with a lawyer present and at no time did anyone have access to the cd or the laptop. You must understand, that there are many zeros involved in the market and being paranoid simply helps....alot !!!!

P.S. The game rights have been purchased in part, not in full, as to when they are going to release i cannot say nor am i allowed to describe in any vague or detail manner as to the type of game. Keep in mind, the scenario i wrote took me several years to complete.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Very rarely will a company will listen to your idea unless you work for them. This is for legal issues to prevent you from suing them if they don't buy your idea, but do something that you might argue is inspired by it.

Also... coming from working in games... ideas for games are a dime a dozen. Even brilliant ones. It's execution that is hard and has ultimate value. You really want your idea to get legs? Start building a prototype using freely available tools. You can mimic an MMO in a smaller engine such as Unity or Unreal to show the idea of how you would expect the game to look, feel, and play.

Most people who actually get to see their ideas seen through built them themselves on their own, or work somewhere and have risen through the design field.

I was hired from the content I built on my own as a mod author... and this continues to be the most important thing looked for when I'm interviewing a new designer. Actual content I can play is number one priority.

Best of luck! Don't give up... unless you really want to.

edit on 2012/2/17 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

First thing you want to to is lay your game out in what is called a "Design Document" (Wikipideia - Design Document)

Then you will be able to copyright it, till then its just an idea. The NDA would
only be involved if your the one developing the game, as no company you show your DD to will sign a NDA first.

After you have the design doc, you can the do several things

1) Develop the game yourself. This is probably your best option as 99% of the execs wont even talk to you unless you have a playable 5min demo, featuring the highlights of your game.

2) get a mod team out there to make it for you, this will cost you $$$ as in hire a coder

3)attempt to get an INDIE studio to develop your game (see choice 1)

4)attempt to get a big time studio to develop your game. (again see choice 1)

RunAmock Studios - Studio Director

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkchemistry
I'd try to seek out investors or venture capitalists there are some websites that gift money for startups there's too many to list. But a good search engine should find them. Here's a link to a very successful MMO that outlines some MMO writing tips for success. It's good for anyone that likes to write as well. services.runescape.com...=forum/l=0/sl=0/forums.ws?49,50,858,63025882

awesome thanks..

definitely will check it out .. star~!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimsongod21
Pst... dont tell him tell me im much more trust worthy.

No, but in all seriousness what i would do is write an detailed synopsis of the your game, then i would go through the copy writing process. make sure to be broad enough in your description that when you start to submit its not easily stolen. then i would start to market it to any and every video game production company that will listen to you. Also never ever sign anything with out having a lawyer who has your best interest at heart read the contract.

good luck.

Deep thanks Crimson. Appreciate the input and ideas.. I got a 'rough outline' but I don't really have a synopsis yet.. but, you got me thinking on this one.

as you being more trustworthy.. ;D .. sure.. you just have to sign the NDA .. and your good to go LOL

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
reply to post by Komodo

Okay to begin with first you need to get yourself organized with an NDA, second of all the story line along with a story board and graphics of the core scene, side scenes, etc, character roles, levels, add ons, etc.

This is how i came into contact with a Electronic Art and discussed my multiplayer online game some 4 years ago. I obviously needed to show them the beta version which was shown from a cd from my laptop with a lawyer present and at no time did anyone have access to the cd or the laptop. You must understand, that there are many zeros involved in the market and being paranoid simply helps....alot !!!!

P.S. The game rights have been purchased in part, not in full, as to when they are going to release i cannot say nor am i allowed to describe in any vague or detail manner as to the type of game. Keep in mind, the scenario i wrote took me several years to complete.

WOW~! Very cool, first hand experience~!

Yes, I'm definitely somewhat familiar of creating a NDA, I've sign enough to know how they work, but, excellent reminder,

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConfusion
reply to post by Komodo

Very rarely will a company will listen to your idea unless you work for them. This is for legal issues to prevent you from suing them if they don't buy your idea, but do something that you might argue is inspired by it.

Also... coming from working in games... ideas for games are a dime a dozen. Even brilliant ones. It's execution that is hard and has ultimate value. You really want your idea to get legs? Start building a prototype using freely available tools. You can mimic an MMO in a smaller engine such as Unity or Unreal to show the idea of how you would expect the game to look, feel, and play.

Most people who actually get to see their ideas seen through built them themselves on their own, or work somewhere and have risen through the design field.

I was hired from the content I built on my own as a mod author... and this continues to be the most important thing looked for when I'm interviewing a new designer. Actual content I can play is number one priority.

Best of luck! Don't give up... unless you really want to.

edit on 2012/2/17 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

thanks for the encouragement~! Not really looking to design a whole game, but part of it but, with this part it may turn out to designing the entire story line LOL ..

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidKnight
reply to post by Komodo

First thing you want to to is lay your game out in what is called a "Design Document" (Wikipideia - Design Document)

Then you will be able to copyright it, till then its just an idea. The NDA would
only be involved if your the one developing the game, as no company you show your DD to will sign a NDA first.

After you have the design doc, you can the do several things

1) Develop the game yourself. This is probably your best option as 99% of the execs wont even talk to you unless you have a playable 5min demo, featuring the highlights of your game.

2) get a mod team out there to make it for you, this will cost you $$$ as in hire a coder

3)attempt to get an INDIE studio to develop your game (see choice 1)

4)attempt to get a big time studio to develop your game. (again see choice 1)

RunAmock Studios - Studio Director

Wow MidKnight~! thx a lot for the advice, and the link~! At this point, I think I'm leaning toward writing the storyline, but the more i write the more I get idea for how I want to look/act in the game, so, maybe I want to develop the game LOL.. dunno

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Big Thanks to you guys for the free advice, really got me started on solid path; I'm even more excited to see where this goes even if, it might end up back on the dead pile .. LOL

gotta give it a shot ~! Thanks again for the help, if you have any more tips post it up .. I'll be checking on this thread for the rest of the week..

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Just a little something to add....

An easy way to copy-write materials/ideas before you have the money to hire a lawyer ,etc...

Put your idea on paper in a form that won't deteriorate(no bubble jet printers) with time.

Send the idea via registered post to a licensed accountant who knows in advance of your intentions. The accountant will leave the registered letter sealed (he must sign for it - keep receipts) in a filing cabinet in the event that someone may claim the idea wasn't yours. The accountant must charge you for the service and will give you a receipt which is basically a safeguard against intellectual theft.

If you do end up in court fighting over intellectual rights. You have one very cool ace that no one is expecting. The court will subpoena the document from the accountant, and the other party will crap their pants as soon as they know that it exists.

Most likely they will be forced to settle out of court in order to save face.

If you think you have a really great idea, then send registered copy's to several accountants. I usually get charged about $100 for each letter (it is a token amount that must be signed for and receipted).

You don't even tell the accountant what is contained within the document. As far as he/she is concerned it is a dated sealed envelope that may be used for proving intellectual rights if the need arises. Beyond that, they don't need to know - and probably don't care.

This method is also good for holding an idea before you have the money for a Patent Lawyer.

One of my throttle body designs was going to set me back a AU$35k just to have a lawyer rummage through old patents to make sure that my patent did not infringe on anyone else's idea.

The registered letter to an accountant was a god-send at the time(the practice was shown to me by my father) leaving me enough money(and sanity/piece of mind) to build the prototype.

It may pay to note that an accountant is a registered document keeper.

If you do make a 5 min demo as mentioned in a previous post, I would contact an accountant and speak to him/her about the above.

Good Luck

OA

new topics

top topics

join