It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick, think fast how long can you survive?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
you find yourself in the middle of a deserted city in ruins. you try to look for food but all that seem to be around you is industrial factories and rubble. the stores you do find with food in it expired years ago. and all you have in your pocket is a Swiss army knife. you soon hear/find out that you are not alone because feral dogs and zoo animals such as lions and other creatures move through the streets as you view them from the corner of the stores window. it will soon be nightfall in a couple of hours(also the animals are aware of your presence and might come for you in the night) and the stores window and doors are all busted out and your only hiding spot is a room in the back with no door. HOW LONG DO YOU THINK YOU COULD SURVIVE AND HOW WILL YOU SURVIVE??

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Eat the expired food of course....everything not originally kept cold...is food still. While sitting on top of the building with no door....
edit on 17-2-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Teriq

Like the previous poster,park my tushy on the top of the building.
I could salvage what I could from the stores and rig up some kind
of shelter.
I do carry
I have to make sure not to waste any more ammo
then I have to.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I'd go all rambo on their ass and catch me a lion. Pfft, no lion is a match for me and my my swiss army knife.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Teriq

I wouldn't.

Not in your situation.

That's why I prepare. So I won't be stuck with just a knife with lions.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Teriq

I wouldn't.

Not in your situation.

Hi!, for argument sake i was wondering if you travel at all. I know I am as prepared as my budget will allow, but I travel for work. My biggest fear is that I am not at home at the point anything happens, especially if it is rather large and sudden. I fear I will not be able to reach my loved ones. Do you ever think about this.

And I tend to travel to bigger cities or close to them anyway. Any suggestions you can think of, I would appreciate. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

call me fatalistic, but I don't really want to survive in a world like that. I would go out, into nature and take my chances with nature. If Nature wants to kill me, that is that. At least the beasts will have something to eat when they feast on my body...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wetpaint72

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Teriq

I wouldn't.

Not in your situation.

Hi!, for argument sake i was wondering if you travel at all. I know I am as prepared as my budget will allow, but I travel for work. My biggest fear is that I am not at home at the point anything happens, especially if it is rather large and sudden. I fear I will not be able to reach my loved ones. Do you ever think about this.

And I tend to travel to bigger cities or close to them anyway. Any suggestions you can think of, I would appreciate. Thanks.

Yes, I travel. With my "company" it's caled TDY. But I see what you mean. And yes, I do go prepared. Packs of beef jerkey, MRE's and I always keep a couple of 1/10th eagles or maple leaf gold coins on me. The gold is curently work @ 150.00/coin. They're small and if TSHTF, they can be traded for travel.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Well, if I really felt like skinning and eating some zoo animals. I'd just set a trap in front of the building using some of the expired food to bait them into it. Then I would probably wear myself out stabbing it to death with that small swiss army knife hoping it doesn't get loose from the trap.

In all honesty though, I would just do as a poster said above about eating the expired food then use the old swiss knife to dismantle some of the shelves and throw them over all the entrances to the building. Not sure what I'd do the next day though.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Get out of Dodge.

I'd find transportation. A motor vehicle ideally. A bicycle if not, and move to greener pastures salvaging what I could along the way. It'd be foolish to hole up in an abandoned place without resources.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
reply to post by beezzer

call me fatalistic, but I don't really want to survive in a world like that. I would go out, into nature and take my chances with nature. If Nature wants to kill me, that is that. At least the beasts will have something to eat when they feast on my body...

Exactly. I wouldn't be caught zombie-dead in a city during a poop/fan crisis.

I'm a country boy at heart.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Teriq

The food in stores expired years ago?(really years ago) What the hell?(I would be living comfortabe in my BOL or BIL) Only a pocket knife? In an industrial park of a large city?
I cannot even being to say what to do, because your whole idea is so out there..that ...wow ...but it doesn't make since...
Unreal unable unbelievable...
What happens next? your pants fall down and your pocket knife breaks?
edit on 17-2-2012 by saltdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
How about something like this....

Your driving to or from work..and you hear on the radio that you worst case SHTF just started happening.(your currently safe for the moment)
All you have is your Vehicle bag/bug out bag...what is in it..is whats in YOUR bag right now.
What do you do?
Do you get home?
Head to BOL?
Meet the group?
Go home for supplies and pack?
Get family?
Go to the store and try and get items you need?
Get fuel?
Go to work and not worry about it?
The only thing your able to have for sure...is what is in your vehicle, or on you.
What event are you thinging of and what would you do?

Maybe it should go something like that?
Be realist about it..I have never just had a pocket knife on me....people will have items that they can use on them...in a real life situation...FYI
edit on 17-2-2012 by saltdog because: spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltdog
How about something like this....

Your driving to or from work..and you hear on the radio that you worst case SHTF just started happening.(your currently safe for the moment)
All you have is your Vehicle bag/bug out bag...what is in it..is whats in YOUR bag right now.
What do you do?
Do you get home?
Head to BOL?
Meet the group?
Go home for supplies and pack?
Get family?
Go to the store and try and get items you need?
Get fuel?
Go to work and not worry about it?
The only thing your able to have for sure...is what is in your vehicle, or on you.
What event are you thinging of and what would you do?

Maybe it should go something like that?
Be realist about it..I have never just had a pocket knife on me....people will have items that they can use on them...in a real life situation...FYI
edit on 17-2-2012 by saltdog because: spelling

ROFL, me????
I would race home, get my telescopes, my microscopes, sleeping bag, and then head out into the woods. I probably wouldn't survive long, but at least I would die doing what I love to do, and that is studying nature....

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teriq
you find yourself in the middle of a deserted city in ruins. you try to look for food but all that seem to be around you is industrial factories and rubble. the stores you do find with food in it expired years ago. and all you have in your pocket is a Swiss army knife. you soon hear/find out that you are not alone because feral dogs and zoo animals such as lions and other creatures move through the streets as you view them from the corner of the stores window. it will soon be nightfall in a couple of hours(also the animals are aware of your presence and might come for you in the night) and the stores window and doors are all busted out and your only hiding spot is a room in the back with no door. HOW LONG DO YOU THINK YOU COULD SURVIVE AND HOW WILL YOU SURVIVE??

1. Find a solid limb of a tree, about 5” long & 2” thick, whittle that baby down to a serious sharp point; that’s my weapon for now, and can double as a battle staff

2. Rub dirt & some oil on my clothing to break the scent of human flesh.

3. Keep an eye on the animals, esp. the lions, wolves, esp the wolves and ensure they are not coming near the building I’m in.

4. Ensuring the predators are not interested, just yet, recon the building I’m in for other predators that might have strayed into the upper floors; after securing the ENTIRE building.

5. Recon for predators as I go back down stairs listening as I go for more strays coming back into the building. After the all clear, start looking for things to border up the windows/doors; this helps to protect against the elements (security). Secure enough to know not even a mouse/rat/wolves/lion/bear can come thorough. If a lion or bear can’t get in, human ‘may’ find it just as hard.

6. Nightfall arrives, sleep time.

7. Morning, recon the outside for predators, All clear. Time to start looking for H20.

8. Look for water in the same building I’m in, if it’s office or industrial, both still might have running water.

9. If no water is available, check the other buildings for water, useable items, food, and tools/weapons.

10. Running clean water is located, endless supply.

11. Locate materials for better weapons for self-defense & hunting

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Teriq

Star & flag for this~!

I'm down for a 'dungeon run' ~HA ! Bring it ~! LOL

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Now why in the Hades would I be in the city? I don't go to the city now in a "civilized and normal"world ...I sure as shoot would not go in an apocolyptic setting.

I moved to the country to stay in the country. I have everything I could want and more...food, water, game, hiding areas, firewood, allies, familiarity with the terrain, know the culture, know where to find food when you can't find food, fish, wild blueberries, cattail roots, fresh water muscles, wild strawberries, apple trees at old home places, ruins of old homesteads with the old rusty axe, even know what kind of folks I would have to deal with ....hmmmm... city or country...city or country...I know, I'll stay in the country.

And out here, I deal with real predators now...coyotes, bobcats, bears, hawks, foxes....with only a pocket knife and no food...whittle me a fishing pole... break out some fishing line...even if you don't have any...walk along the shore of a lake and look at tree roots and brushy areas around coves...you'll find lures, bob and corks, and tangled fishing line... anyways...dig me up some worms and kick back and wait. Then gather up some firewood, get it going...always have matches...been stockpiling matches since Y2K...no, really...and fix me some broiled fish...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Teriq

Feed the food to the dog, lead the dog to the Lion, after Lion is fed pull the thorn out of Lions Paw with swiss army knife. Collar my new friend the Lion and walk through town picking up all the feral women because I am looking good with a Lion on a leash. hit the room with the Chicks and have the Lion guard through the night

edit on 17-2-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

How do you like me now?.......how do you like me now?.....how do you like me now?
edit on 17-2-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Teriq

I wouldn't go to a room in a back of a store. I would move upstairs, or into an attic,etc. If there are damaged buildings, there are much better weapons than a swiss army knife, I would save the knife for opening things and building things. For a weapon, broken glass wrapped on the end of a stick would be good. Any stick would be good. Pipe, etc. Kitchen knives, hatchets, hammers, whatever I could find in a store.

Yes, eat the expired food of course, but a nice, fresh, juicy feral dog steak might be good too!

Surviving in this circumstance sounds rather easy. It doesn't get hard until you are facing rabid humans or zombies!

edit on 17-2-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Lead , Follow or get out of my way I'm moving on. Foods minor water is major I have more than a few days worth of fat cells to keep me moving. Not a problem keep moving don't need sleep or shelter. Animals are a minor issue not enough for a pack except possibly the 2 legged kind and avoid them at all cost

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join