It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Made 3 Million Per Hour In 2011, While Spill Victims Continued To Suffer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Hi ATS.

it's been a while since the BP oil spill disaster.

yet we're still facing the consequences.

and imho BP hasn't taken nearly enough responsiblity for the disaster, because it was ultimately ruled THEY were responsible.

i found an article wich nicely illustrates that point but before we get to the article let's take a look at some of the pictures.

to refeshen our memory and to highlight the severity of what happenend on the 20th of april 2010.

look people, just look at what the F is happening to our planet.

this is without even mentioning the Corexit and the harm that has already caused and is contuining to cause.

here's a thread from Vitchillo.

One Year Later: The Cleanup Crews Are Dying

tell me this isn't heartbreaking.

but now let's get to my article.

BP’s 2010 Gulf of Mexico spill is still affecting the lives of many Americans, particularly the tens of thousands that have not settled lawsuits with the company. Yet the company has bounced back from the billions it lost in the wake of the spill.

BP Is Willing To Settle The Lawsuites That Are Still Pending Outside Court.

BP announced that its 2011 profit totaled $26 billion, a 114 percent jump from the year before, when the company’s “failure of supervision and accountability” caused the worst oil spill in U.S. history. As the company prepares for its upcoming trial, let’s take a look at how BP has made out after the Deepwater Horizon disaster:

BP earned $3 million every hour in 2011. Its fourth-quarter profits reached $7.69 billion, which is up 38 percent from 2010.

The company is sitting on another $14 billion in cash.

The company continues to scale back its production in the wake of the spill, producing 10 percent less than 2010 levels.

BP contributions to federal candidates totaled more than $98,000 in 2011, with more than half (65 percent) to Republican candidates.

BP spent $8 million lobbying Congress in 2011, down from the record $15 million the company lobbied in 2009 – one year before the oil disaster.

For every dollar the big five oil companies use in lobbying, they effectively receive $30 in subsidies. This could mean BP potentially gained up to $243 million in subsidies, although the exact amount for an individual company is undisclosed.

In the third quarter, BP’s Bob Dudley announced the company had reached a “definite turning point” of boosted profits. However, nearly two years following the Deepwater Horizon disaster, BP has still only paid $7.8 billion of the $20 billion fund they created to compensate individuals and businesses for losses incurred by the spill.

In order to pay the $40 billion cleanup costs and additional penalties, the company has committed to selling $38 billion worth of assets before 2014.

despite all this.

Despite being found “ultimately responsible” for the most devastating oil spill this nation has ever seen, BP has spent millions lobbying on bills that would speed offshore drilling and leases. This includes filing a total 24 reports on bills undermining safety regulation in the Gulf of Mexico, H.R. 1231 “Reversing President Obama’s Offshore Moratorium Act” and H.R. 1229 “Putting the Gulf of Mexico Back to Work Act.”

the reports

At the time, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar accused House Republicans of having “amnesia” about the oil spill. No doubt the total $137 billion profits in 2011 for the five big oil companies had something to do with it.

i think a lot of people are having some amnesia when it comes to this.

this article/thread is to show the inequality in the world.

the lack of responsiblity these gaint corporations are willing to take.

sure sure we'll rake in the big profits, but if something goes terribly wrong it's not our friggin problem.

thoughts ATS?

or is the spill old news?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
And that is why we need to throw every elected official out of office, they sell us out to these companies for 98,000 in election hand outs? really?

Of course they back it up with another 9mil in congress?

WTF people, not only are Congress selling us out, they are selling us out on the CHEEP!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
All I can say, they are utter bastards and I know this post might get deleted but hey, it's the truth. We really need to do something with these types of people ...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by David291
All I can say, they are utter bastards and I know this post might get deleted but hey, it's the truth. We really need to do something with these types of people ...

This goes way deeper them these people just being ordinairy 'bastards'

I've met a lot of those in my life and i don't think any of said persons were capable of commiting the attrocities these people have commited.

They're playing with human life, animal life and our environment.

All for that black gold and the worlds hunger for energy.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

I know but I couldn't think of any other word for them, it's sickening and I have no idea how on earth they can carry on this way. It really confuses me how another human being can be so cruel. I don't think I'll ever be able to understand that.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I think it is completely disgusting what they did. Such greed and corruption...

I really feel for the people that were forced to work for the very same company that destroyed their lives. How humiliating it must've been for them.

What amazes me is that people have such short memories with these kinds of things. When this happened, I vowed to never buy petrol from BP again and yet every day I still see people filling up their cars at BP.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Are you saying BP should have lost profit? No people are not near as important as profit to a corporation. In fact corporations are more important than people let them suffer! (sarcasm)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Yeah seriously...

I really feel like going up to these people that fill up at BP and try and wake them up.

Now, if there are any petrol station owners here that can confirm this queston for me that would be great:

Does the owner of a petrol station (any company) only give the corporation money back for fuel and all the profit from the rest of the things that they sell like drinks, ice-creams etc go straight to the owner of the station? Or does the corporation take a cut of that too?

top topics

join