It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help with my Dog! Anyone?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Vinny5036

I took her outside and walked her around for maybe 5 minutes. She squatted as if she was trying to go #2, but was pushing like she was giving birth. Is there anyway to know for sure if there is another puppy inside? I felt something hard and round so I assumed that it was a puppy. I might be wrong though. I don't think she has passed the placenta.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Click that chat button circled in red, see if you can join that, once your in, if it opens a blank screen refresh your screen wait about 5-10 seconds

edit on 17-2-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Many times she may not pass the placenta for quite sometime. In some cases 24 hours or longer. We don't like to see that, but it does happen. Try giving her plenty of warm, yes warm water. She'll drink the warm water like crazy. Do this now.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

How many times do you need to involve yourself in a topic that you've provided absolutely no genuine help whatsoever? Do you have something to do? Somewhere to go? If you do, how about doing that?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I guess trying to offer an efficient solution from a post to post form is what i had in mind, now if that creates issues well fine then.

I guess trying to help someone sometimes doesn't work out they way one assumes it would. Oh well, chill pill time.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

I guess trying to offer an efficient solution from a post to post form is what i had in mind, now if that creates issues well fine then.

I guess trying to help someone sometimes doesn't work out they way one assumes it would. Oh well, chill pill time.

Sorry, I can be a jerk. Thank you for your help.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

I do hope your poor dog is all right. If she HAS a puppy STILL inside, you need to get it out right away as infection can set in.

One thing you should definitely do is get it X-RAYED. This should not cost much, but I want to say that I have a Facebook page dedicated to animal rescue and helping animals get surgery, etc. We have a way to create a chip-in so everyone gives what they can, even if it's a dollar, but I have a lot of animal right friends and we can certainly raise enough to pay for the x-ray and evaluation.

It would take a few days to raise it and I would need some proof from you that you are who you say you are. Logically. BUT PLEASE get your dog checked immediately or she could die.

You can email me at this email: gonindunit@gmail.com 5

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
So, I decided to feel again and I was able to feel the head!
I had to massage her stomach and do what I could with the head because I couldn't grab it with just one finger.
Eventually IT CAME OUT!!! It was at least 1.5x bigger than the rest.

Sadly it is stillborn, but me and my wife are just happy that the mom is ok.
Thanks for your advice! I would have never thought to put my hand in there!
You mentioned amoxicillin. What dose do I give her?
I have about 20 - 500mg capsules of amoxicillin.
Should I give it to her as a precaution?
The afterbirth was green.

edit on 17-2-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This is by far one of the most awesome threads I've read in a long time.

I'm so happy a member was here to help and all turned out fine for the mother.

You go, Vinny!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
that happened to my dog a few years back. i washed my hands, sanitized, vasiline and went in. puppy and momma are fine today. /i lived too far from town to get to a vet

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Yay! Glad to hear Mom is doing okay with 4 healthy babies. It's a shame for the one that didn't make it, a bitter-sweet story, like life. Mom looks happy and cute though so at least that's okay. Isn't ATS great? A veterinarian online just at the right time.

ETA I was recently at the vet's with my cat and the waiting time was long due to one vet being tied up with an emergency caesarian on a small dog. I'm not sure of the breed but something pug-dog sized or smaller. The dog had started to give birth and one baby had breached or something, blocking all the rest or something like that. I asked the assistant if it was a common thing having never heard of dog-caesarians. She said no but due to the size of the dog involved it could escalate quickly if not treated. It would seem that giving birth is not without its risks sometimes, regardless of species. I'm glad I'm not a woman with a bad memory...
edit on 17/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 17/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

I didn't expect a veterinarian to show up. I am glad he did though.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Yes, your dog is very lucky Vinny happened to be on.

Not that it's any of my business, but are you considering getting her spayed since she's had two litters?
Also, is she a schnauzer?
edit on 17-2-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by GmoS719

Yes, your dog is very lucky Vinny happened to be on. Maybe she can be ATS's mascot. "Saving lives one thread at a time."

Not that it's any of my business, but are you considering getting her spayed since she's had two litters?
Also, is she a schnauzer?

Yes we are going to get her spayed, I don't want to relive this situation again.
I'm not 100% sure what she is, We rescued her and were told that she was part shih tzu & lhasa apso.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Yes we are going to get her spayed

Good to hear.
You're making the right decision.
Best wishes to you and your family!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
So, I decided to feel again and I was able to feel the head!
I had to massage her stomach and do what I could with the head because I couldn't grab it with just one finger.
Eventually IT CAME OUT!!! It was at least 1.5x bigger than the rest.

Sadly it is stillborn, but me and my wife are just happy that the mom is ok.
Thanks for your advice! I would have never thought to put my hand in there!
You mentioned amoxicillin. What dose do I give her?
I have about 20 - 500mg capsules of amoxicillin.
Should I give it to her as a precaution?
The afterbirth was green.

Glad to hear everything worked out. As far as the Amox- This would depend on her weight, however, I would certainly not be afraid to give her the full 20 for ten days. So, the scrip reads....Give 500 mg orally twice daily until gone. Dont stop short after 6 days, go the full 10. Now, being green is a little on the "ok" side, it should be a blue color..I ve seen all kinds. Antibiotics should heal her.
Did you try the warm water? At this point make sure she eats and drinks well. She'll probably eat like a pig in the next few hours and drink like crazy.
I'll keep an eye on the thread.
You did a great job and I'm glad the mother is doing fine. Just remember, she's exhausted. Time my friend, time.

Edit: Go 10 days on 500 mg..break those in half. Your dog can't weigh 80 lbs..1000 is too much.
edit on 17-2-2012 by Vinny5036 because: Rethought

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Excellent Thread...well done to both of you...

No harm done in your reply and from now on, your the official Mr. Vet for me....simply amazing..well done sir.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Thank you for helping out a brother/sister ATS'er. May your Karma points increase a thousand fold.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

She is a small dog somewhere between 10-15 lbs.
Would 250 mg still be ok for her weight?
Thanks again, I can't thank you enough.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

You are certainly welcome, and to all of you who had kind words for me, I think we should give the applause to the OP. What he did was something that he had to do totally blind (never experienced). Look at it this way, in the future you may know what's going on.
Thanks to everybody who stayed on top of this thread. Funny, I've been a long time enthusiast of ATS and never started posting until the other day. When I saw this post, I had to help.
We can all learn that ATS is a community of like minded people who all have something very valuable to share when the time is right. Very cool indeed.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join