It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Time Footage of the Sun?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Hey all....

I'm curious if such a thing exists. Does anyone know of any "Real time footage" of the sun? Im not looking for time based captures. Id like to see what the sun looks like in real time. As in 15-30 fps instead of a choppy stop animation type vid.

This is based on curiousity alone. Id really like to see how the sun looks as though I were in front of it looking directly at it up close and in real time.

Anyone have any info and or direction on this?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
You can try spaeweather.com or Earthchanges. com Hopefully either one of these two will gve you want you want. Good luck in your search.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

Simple, just get yourself a telescope, or binoculars with a solar-filter, or if you want to see more detail, a Ha-solar telescope. Then you can hook up your TV camera, and view it as in real time as long as you can see the sun. That way, you can also be sure that nobody else messes with the pictures, hiding things

edit on 17/2/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

lol I was hoping for something a lil less expensive. Id love to have one but doubt I would spend that much on a scope. My problem would be, I could not get the economic one, Id HAVE to buy a top of the line one and that would hurt... badly!

I looked around space weather, but only noticed time delayed movies.

Thanks though!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

LOL, OK..... you don't look like on of those people that are just looking for conspiracies everywhere, so I'll help you with more advice. you can buy a specialized solar-filter in a sheet, that you can cut out and put it over glasses, a pair of binocs, or if you have a video camera, you can make an adapter for it. Not sure where you live, but it is available all over the world.

baader solar film

If you don't have money for that, and you promise me you won't make solar filters for your glasses to look at the sun directly, I have another tip. In some countries, you get tea in shiny foil-bags, and those foil-bags works fairly good for filters for a camera/video camera.

The question is what do you want to see on the sun? Just sun-spots, then a white-light filter (like the Baader film, or the silverized plastic, or the dark glass from a welding-helmet) works fine, but if you want to see more details, then the answer is not that cheap (unfortunately) though .....

oops, just saw that you are in the states. ..... Now I am wondering if I should have given you those tips about the silverised plastic or welding helmets; you won't sue me, would you?????

in the states, the you can get the Baader film here :
www.astro-physics.com...

btw. just remembered, here was a thread on ATS a while ago about safely viewing the sun :
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 17/2/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17/2/2012 by Hellhound604 because: added the ATC thread about safe viewing of the sun

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

haha No my friend, i'm not much into conspiracies, other than an interesting read.

I honestly would like to see how the sun appears in real time. Sunspots and all, but close up. I doubt my camera's from this distance would do any justice. I could use a welders hat in that case, but I wanna see the waves, tornadoes, the bubbling surface. I think what makes me so curious is, I would like to see just how fast everything moves, the complexity of it, just to get the feel of something breathing as though it was alive in real time. Guess I cant explain it.

I guess I could explain it by comparing someone watching a volcano in 15 second frames vs standing on the cone top staring down at it, watching the flows move in real time. Nothing captures the essence of such things unless seen in real time. Otherwise, I just feel like I miss a whole lot.

If there are no satellites that do this, then I guess I'll have to spend the big money! Which would lead me right back here asking about a really nice scope for under 1.5 grand... maybe 2 if I can see way more.

The sun is just an amaizing thing that I cant seem to wrap my head around. Perhaps having a personal view of it will settle retorical questions in the back of my ever curious mind.

edit on 18-2-2012 by theRhenn because: I Is Dunce

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

if you want to see the interesting things happening on the sun, then you will have to fork out money for a dedicated Ha or Ca-solar telescope, like these :

www.luntsolarsystems.com...

or you will have to be satisfied with pics from this site, that gets updated once a minute :
www.nso.edu...

new topics

top topics

join