It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aurora Whirpool Over Bering Sea.....source Unknown?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Ok....so I was just checking out Spaceweather.com and this is posted there. A huge auroral event over the Bering Sea that according to researchers has no known cause at this time as they had no coronal ejections for that time period to coincide with the event. Sounds odd if we can't determine the cause of something like this. Any scientists here that can shed some light on the subject or on this particular event?

Aurora Whirpool

"A number of images from the DMSP F18 satellite captured the dramatic auroral event of the last couple nights," says analyst Paul McCrone, who processed the data at the US Navy's Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center in Monterey, CA.

The reason for the outburst is still not completely clear. It started on Feb. 14th when a magnetic disturbance rippled around the north pole. No CME was obvious in local solar wind data at the time; the disturbance just happened. Once begun, the display was amplified by the actions of the interplanetary magnetic field (IMF). The IMF near Earth tipped south, opening a crack in our planet's magnetic defenses. Solar wind poured in and fueled the auroras.

edit on 2/17/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
They also talk about the IMF (interplanetary magnetic field) tipping south and opening a crack in our planets "magnetic defenses" allowing solar winds to "pour in".....Just wondering about that statement, but the overall tone of it doesn't sound like a good thing....so how far has our IMF tipped, how big is the crack and how much of anything bad for our environment will be able to pour in. Don't know anything about the terms used, just did not sound good to me at all.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

You never know it may be energy comming in more now from sun/SOL
to heal the pollution issues on EA*RTH Also with the amount of radiation in the atmosphere there has to be weather effects and visual aurora effects observed from Artificial EA*RTH radiation interacting with the solar radiation. So hot and cold air mixing on EA*RTH make ??? SOL radiation and EA*RTH artificial radiation mixing make ???

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I just posted some info on the magnetosphere in the solar activity thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What caused the auroras is known, just the source of it isn't yet.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Great....thanks!

Yeah, I was reading a bit on IMF and Magnetosphere after my post and apparently Southward Bz's are a part of the reason. Would this mean that should a really large CME just happen to come while there is a Southward Bz we would be in more danger?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This might shed a little light.

solarham.com...

I had to double check but spaceweather.com seemed to miss the CME on Feb' 12th at about 12pmUTC.

edit on 17/2/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

I just posted some info on the magnetosphere in the solar activity thread:

What caused the auroras is known, just the source of it isn't yet.

Corrected title....didn't want to have anyone misinterpret what I said as I know little about it as well....just an interesting story and wanted to find out more on it.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
This might shed a little light.

solarham.com...

Much appreciated!
2nd

new topics

top topics

join